Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Packable shorts?

Share with me your knowledge, o' Salonistas..

I'm looking for a pair of super-packable shorts for bikepacking trips that involve a handful of town visits. I love the Outlier New Way shorts for the fact that their durable (i.e. I can ride, hike, walk, drink coffee..etc. in them), fit well (i.e. don't hang down below my kneecaps) and are very weather and occasion-diverse (i.e. I can swim in them or go to dinner in them). However, they're just slightly bulkier than I want. I'm looking for something that's equally diverse, durable, and can pack down as much as possible for squishing into a handlebar or large saddlebag.

What'cha got?
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Packable shorts?

I'm a big fan of the giro new road shorts. I love love love the first generation ones that have a wool blend, and even found a place for the bizarrely-pocket-less second gen overshorts in the rotation (they work for riding to the gym without being as flappy on the bike as gym shorts, for example). The quality is more consistent than Outlier and the fabrics a little more versatile.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wife picked up a pair of shorts for me last week from the Gap - nylon shorts with a small bit of stretch. They are similar to New Way fits and length, but definitely look more like swimming shorts. They pack down pretty small and were like $20. I've worn them a few days and they are good enough. Keep in mind, I've only worn Outlier or Proof shorts the last 2 1/2 years.

I don't think Outlier lacks quality one bit. They've had some loose buttons, loose threads or over-stitched areas early on - but the material is durable and nothing has ripped on me.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestion - I'd considered Giro but unfortunately they don't have any distributors in France (at least, no where in my area of the country..)
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I carried a pair of Patagonia shorts with me when I rode across the USA self supported. I don't see them on the site anymore, but I still have them and they are going strong. Casual style, very lightweight, with a single rear pocket. Fine for swimming, or dinner at a pub if needed. I bet you could find a good option among these: Men's Shorts: Outdoor, Cargo & Athletic Shorts by Patagonia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here's an out of the box idea that has worked well for me: board shorts. if you get them in a solid color, they pass for regular shorts. designed to be comfortable and move easily, pack very small, and best of all, they dry super quick. i've had a pair of patagonia board shorts similar to the ones below forever, and have worn them for surfing, swimming and hanging out at the bar. i've carried them in a pack before specifically because they are versatile, dry quick and pack small.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe check out these from EB, they work well for me.

Men's Guide Pro Shorts | Eddie Bauer