Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default homemade energy snacks for the ride

Lately, I am sick of the stupid power bars, cliff bars, gels and what not being sold for bike food. A banana is great, although it doesn't travel well.

Since a friend came back from Brazil and brought me some ecocomal, I have been making little sugar cane bars with salt.

The Lim Cakes have been given a fair amount of press lately by various rags (velonews, bicycling, outside) and has anyone tried these out on a ride?
    I am curious but think the bacon may be a bit heavy.

Recipe for Best Energy Bar Ever | Nutrition | OutsideOnline.com

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: homemade energy snacks for the ride

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Lately, I am sick of the stupid power bars, cliff bars, gels and what not being sold for bike food. A banana is great, although it doesn't travel well.

Since a friend came back from Brazil and brought me some ecocomal, I have been making little sugar cane bars with salt.

The Lim Cakes have been given a fair amount of press lately by various rags (velonews, bicycling, outside) and has anyone tried these out on a ride?
    I am curious but think the bacon may be a bit heavy.

Recipe for Best Energy Bar Ever | Nutrition | OutsideOnline.com

Thoughts?
    Lim cakes aka Francois have been in play for 20 yrs. and yes they are terrific for long riding. Love them long time. Bacon? There is BACON in them??? Kidding. Try prosciutto or bits of ham. The bacon only adds flavor and you don't use alot. These are mostly sticky rice, eggs, salt and pepper with a smidgen of bacon...which is brilliant when you are knackered.

The Francois don't keep well and definitely do not freeze well. If you are more practical, you can make pancakes well in advance and freeze them. Thaw them out night before and make roll ups with all sorts of goods: pbutter, cheese, honey, ham. Easy right?

Last, if you like jerkey than get onto the internet and find a reliable source of organic beef or turkey jerkey that is not peppered or heavily seasoned. Trust me on this, after three hrs. of riding tear off a hunk and enjoy.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. "Real" food for endurance sports is something I believe in despite the fact my bottles are usually filled with Frankenfood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heisenberg has some good stuff on his blog/site. He can cook!

THE LOCALS ARE PAINTING MY NAME ON THE ROADS | Honey, oats, nuts…what can go wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by airedale View Post
    Heisenberg has some good stuff on his blog/site. He can cook!

THE LOCALS ARE PAINTING MY NAME ON THE ROADS | Honey, oats, nuts…what can go wrong?
    He can't miss, that looks great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had some good stuff by the Mother/Wife of the Racing Russells, but haven't been able to extract any info about the making thereof.

SO I saw The Feed Zone Cookbook by Thomas/Lim, and bought it (but have only taken time to glance at it--looks great!). ALL the while meaning to come here and start a thread and maybe collect/merge the old ones here.

BUT then Spring has sprung and there's not enough time to do all between now and the Doggie Days to follow. I could use some 25-hour days and 10-day weeks.

Thanks for firing the shot.

I've been buying "gummy" type stuff from the shitfood/candy aisle at the LGS-to find my "twizzler". The latest and best of that experiment is "lifesavers gummies".

BUT OF COURSE I'd like to roll up something similar w/o artificial colors and flavors added. Ms. Russell was making fruit roll-ups last year-basically by pureeing fruit, making thin sheet, and dehydrating. I don't know if any additional pectin or such was added. I have to make a dryer.

...carry on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been experimenting with CocoNutz. Endurance Mtn guy in Utah came up with the format. So far I like em.

For sugar- good old orange slices from the candy aisle. Or fig newtons on a long ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Last, if you like jerkey than get onto the internet and find a reliable source of organic beef or turkey jerkey that is not peppered or heavily seasoned. Trust me on this, after three hrs. of riding tear off a hunk and enjoy.
    Jerky is easy to make at home. Take whatever meat you like, slice real thin and season to taste. I like soy sauce and pepper. For beef, I use flank steak sliced with the grain and about 1 teaspoon of soy/pepper per pound of beef. Marinate for an hour or so and then put on a baking sheet in a single layer. Set your oven to its lowest temp and keep the door slightly ajar with a wooden spoon or similar object. Put in the pans. It'll be jerky the next day.

No preservatives and it keeps very well. I took a few pounds of this on a 2-week backcountry hike and it didn't spoil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A peanut butter and honey or jelly sand-which has the same protein/carb ratio as most bars and you can go 100% organic. For energy(buzz), I've been experimenting with chocolate covered espresso beans. Ice T in one water bottle is a treat.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this has been on my mind as well. I just made sourdough rolls with fruit and nuts and also some with ham and cheddar. packed in a ziplock with a paper towel, worked well!
    Seed/nut/fruit rolls by \\\amos///, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I been filling my bottles thusly:

Fill 1/3 with warm water.
    Dissolve heaping spoonful o honey.
    Pinch o salt. Slightly smaller pinch of "No Salt" brand salt sub (for potassium).
    Top with cold water.

Sugar, electrolytes, what more do you want?