Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Everyday Business Casual Lace-Ups

I sometimes feel like a dapper gentleman, then I look down at the Izod budget need something in a hurry "oxfords" on my feet and a heavy yearning for something proper sets in. I can't take it anymore, enough is enough and something has to be done.

I need an everyday lace up oxford/brogue/derby that will be fitting for my mile of walking I do in my morning bus/coffee shop routine and help with the aforementioned lack of dapper.
    I am not extremely picky but am fond of the Cognac/British Tan-ish colors and could stand a plain, cap toe or wingtip with the only exclusion being a long wing. I work at a law firm and business casual is my typical dress- khakis/pants, slim fit button down, sport coat and I like a tie to bring it all together most days.

I am leaning towards:

Allen Edmonds
    Cole Haan
    Clark's

Prior experience with footwear outside of cycling and running is limited to Hall's and Red Wing line boots that are mostly some form of welt construction. I have noticed some of the higher end shoes have similar construction, but must admit this is the only process outside of gluing I am familiar with so I really don't know what is important as far as durability goes. What else should I be looking at/for? Brands, construction and what have you.
    justin rogers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Everyday Business Casual Lace-Ups

I like my Eccos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a pair of Johnston & Murphys that are extremely comfortable. Check them out. They have a variety of classic styles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just purchased my 4th pair of Allen Edmonds shoes. Today's my second day in 'em. I got these: https://www.allenedmonds.com/jodox-w...616_color=4617. Can't beat the price. I should mention that the rubber sole is nice here in Minnesota.

My first pair, purchased in 2005, are on their second sole. I recently polished them up, and they look great.

I realize you asked for brown shoes. I guess this is just a plug for Allen Edmonds. They last and are recraftable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alden.

they're worth the price of entry IMO, and my cap toes are holding up remarkably well, and they live a tough life in NYC.

J&M makes a decent shoe in their upper end models too, the lower tier stuff is not goodyear welted and are "throw away" shoes. AE also makes a very good shoe.

You already know this, but if you go leather soled shoes, which you should - you dont want to wear them in wet sloppy stuff, or you'll destroy them in short order. I've got a bunch of shoes in regular rotation, and keep a pair in the bottom draw at work. if the forecast calls for wet stuff, i wear rubber soled shoes or boots to work and change in the office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    alden.
    AE also makes a very good shoe.
    You already know this, but if you go leather soled shoes, which you should - you dont want to wear them in wet sloppy stuff, or you'll destroy them in short order. I've got a bunch of shoes in regular rotation, and keep a pair in the bottom draw at work. if the forecast calls for wet stuff, i wear rubber soled shoes or boots to work and change in the office.
    all true. I'm partial to the cordovan in both brands. I have some longwings, cap toes and oxfords in both brands. They are sized very different so make sure you try em on.
    If laces are optional, I'm a fan of monk straps for a 'casual' look. I have some AE Leeds in *brugandy*...similar to the Alden #8, that go with just about everything.
    I love wearing the alden longwings with jeans best.