Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gloves & Shoe Covers

Australia please turn your head.

In most parts of the USA and northern Europe we are into cool temps.

This is my pick for shoe covers from last year. Pearlizumi has one heck of a good system for shoe covers. These are not weather proof and not ment to be they are windproof wraps that open wide to fit onto your shoe. "Pro Softshell"

Quick pick for gloves are De Feet Wool cycling gloves. There are alot of great gloves and these are the most used. If it gets really cold I use a ski overshell:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Gloves & Shoe Covers

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Australia please turn your head. In most parts of the USA and northern Europe we are into cool temps.
    And after suffering through 6 months of watching you post photos full of sunshine I only have one thing to say.
    hqdefault.jpg

In all seriousness the woollen De Feet stuff is awesome - I use both the armwarmers and gloves. My biggest learning from cooler temp riding is to use a scarf - these Icebreaker ones come in two different weights and really make a big difference to my winter happiness.
    large.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TT(squared) hey you deserve the sunshine.

GREAT call on the icebreaker goods. I'm currently working a minor addiction to their sports tees and button shirts.

Thanks alot bastid ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For years and years I used a pair of Nalini (not Nagini) overshoes and they were great. Must have had them more than ten years. They finally had to be put down as they were really starting to fall apart but I did it with regret. They were simple and thin neoprene but worked great into the 20s. My feet are relatively tolerant of cool temps as long as the rides aren't 3 or 4 hours in the 20s.

I tried some Gore and love everything from Gore but not the overshoes. They never fit nicely and were loose even though they were the right size theoretically. Sold them after a few rides. Tried some Castelli. They didn't make it to the first ride as the zipper burst while putting them on. Junk. Returned them.

Then I bought Assos shoe covers for a king's ransom. They seem to be nice though the zipper balked last winter once. I need some zipper lube or wax. For what they cost that shouldn't be an issue. Got the zipper working again but it has me concerned for long term durability. But the performance is great. They are snug and look good, the way they should be and they work well for me deep into the 30s.

As for gloves, the best ones I've ever had (and still have) are from Spenco and are about 8 years old. Warm into the 30s as well.

Buy nice or buy twice, that's what I've learned with most cycling clothing.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

De Feet also make a really nice wool undershirt - it's a proper cyclist cut with a short-front and slightly longer tail, and it fits snug. Miles better than the Icebreaker under shirts imo. I've got a few of them in rotation - I'll wear them to work one day, then on the bike the following morning before being hiffed into the wash.
    UnD Wool Tee shirt
    865313.jpg

I often wince at the price of winter clothing but the stuff lasts for years. I've still got a 10 year old pair of Specialized neoprene overshoes, some nice warm tights, caps, scarves etc. On a dollar-per-ride basis I'd say I'm doing pretty good.

Anyway - off for a ride to work on my tan. Suckers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another DeFeet fan here. I use their entire line of over/under wear. Gloves, knee and arm warmers in regular and wool. Base layers in ultralight summer weight to the winter wool Tristan posted. And their shoe covers for winter trips and the rare cold day at home. I haven't found anything that compares, especially for the price. I'm also a big fan of neck coverage. I'll have to give that Icebreaker above a shot. I have a Smartwool wool neck gaiter that's been great and for days when I just need a little wind protection or when I know the temps will rise and I want to avoid overheating, I use a light cotton Buff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

26C forecasted today. I will check this thread back in one month.

DeFeet is good stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did the neoprene shoe covers last year. Solution wasn't optimal on the coldest of days. This year I'm trying Lake MXZ303's. I'm not quite used to the cycling with the shoe going past the ankle but they feel warm and snug.

Mike G