Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pudendal Nerve Entrapment

I just found out that I have a trapped pudendal nerve, sometimes called "cyclist syndrome". I felt a sharp pain in my groin wile riding 3 weeks ago and it has been downhill ever since. First the doc said it was epididymitis, but it wasn't. I cannot sit AT ALL without excruciating pelvic pain, especially in the perineum. I cannot even fathom the thought of sitting on a bike saddle. I stand at work and lay down when I get home. My doc has given me some meds to calm the nerves, but it's not a long term fix for sure. I fear my cycling career is over.

Has anyone here had to deal with this before? If so, did time heal it or was something more invasive necessary?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pudendal Nerve Entrapment

recumbent bike may work
    toilet seat sitting may help
    i hope you feel better soon
    cheers
    treatment meds , p.t. .. but not often surgery
    I love bike racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info Fixed.

Have you had this? You talk like you know the "tricks".

Yeah, the toilet seat helps, but I'm not in any sort of chronis pain right now. It hurt like hell in the beginning, like "worst thing I've ever been through both physically and mentally".

I'm hoping I can lick this thing and be back on the bike. The doc says 6 months.

I thought about the recumbent thing too. If it does not get better, I will go there. Never thought I would, but I think it's better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixed View Post
    recumbent bike may work
    toilet seat sitting may help
    i hope you feel better soon
    cheers
    treatment meds , p.t. .. but not often surgery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, no advice to offer, but I really hope you get sorted, feel all better, and get back on the bike soon. Fingers crossed for you, man!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm really NOT being facetious when I ask if massage might help? Sometimes working the deep tissues in the abdomen, glutes, and the nether-regions in between can do some amazing things. Between increasing blood flow and relaxing the muscles/tissues that are pinching the nerve, it might at least help shorten the duration of the condition and promote healing. My wife is a massage therapist; I'll ask her about it when she gets home.

Obviously, it's a pretty damn intimate area so you'd have to have a great level of trust in the therapist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks John. Yep, I'm looking for any help I can get at this point. I've been naked in a room with so many strangers over the past couple of weeks that I'm over being timid, much less poking me where it's not fun to be poked.

If massage would help, I'm all for it. Let me know what your wife says. There is a good massage therapist right across the street from my office that my mom visits regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
    I'm really NOT being facetious when I ask if massage might help? Sometimes working the deep tissues in the abdomen, glutes, and the nether-regions in between can do some amazing things. Between increasing blood flow and relaxing the muscles/tissues that are pinching the nerve, it might at least help shorten the duration of the condition and promote healing. My wife is a massage therapist; I'll ask her about it when she gets home.

Obviously, it's a pretty damn intimate area so you'd have to have a great level of trust in the therapist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for sending the good vibes Christian. I'm hoping I can look back and say "I'm glad that's over!"

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    Hey, no advice to offer, but I really hope you get sorted, feel all better, and get back on the bike soon. Fingers crossed for you, man!