Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Yet another TIG welder question

I know tig welder questions have been asked here before but they have all been frame specific. I'm in need of a welder to do general shop stuff. Mostly steel but I with occasional Al. It's not something I'll be using everyday it's very unlikely I'll be making a frame with it. I've been thinking about some of the ebay china made machines because they are in the price range I would consider. Specifically one of these:

WIG Inverter AC/DC TIG-200P Pulse HF Schweißgerät + MMA | eBay
    KOMPLETTSET: STAHLWERK AC / DC WIG MMA 200 PULS INVERTER SCHWEIßGERÄT + Zubehör | eBay
    NEU PROFI WIG-TIG MMA ALU SCHWEIßGERÄT HF INVERTER AC/DC PULS 200A FUßPEDAL 230V | eBay
    STAHLWERK AC / DC WIG TIG MMA 200 S INVERTER SCHWEIßGERÄT auch ALUMINIUM/ KUPFER | eBay
    Alu Metall Schweißgerät WSE 200 Amp WIG TIG AC DC Inverter HFZünd Schweissgerät | eBay

Has anyone here ever tried one of these? Are they "good enough" for someone who will not be using it daily (and is a beginner)? I've been looking out for a used known brand machine but there hasn't been one near here for the last month so basically it's one of these or none. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Kevin

PolyTube Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Yet another TIG welder question

Hi Kevin

I have no personal experience with the chinese machines from ebay but I do know a very experienced welder (mostly aluminium) who did bought one of those some time ago to replace his old big machine dead after 20 years of welding. His conclusions were the machine itself was pretty good but torch was too heavy and crap so he changed the torch and happy enough.

But if you want my personal opinion is that even if they do work fine, you could have some issues on future view, as any possible failure could be a great issue for bits/parts or customer service support.

If you do not want to spend too much money and can't find an used one for good price, I would recommend you to have a look at some eu based companies like r-tech welding from uk. They do use the same chinese machine as base, but they do upgrade it aftewards improving some possible weak points and most importantly they do have quite a good reputation on customer service and tech support.
    I had a look to them when I bought my machine, although I finally decided to go for something a bit "better" and spent the money on a new oerlikon, but the r-tech ones had a serious chance.

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kevin your from the land of EWM and Lorch (my persoanl favourite)?

AC / DC PULS ALUMINIUM WELDING MACHINE 315 TIG WIG MMA WELDER INVERTER AC/DC | eBay ,this facscinates me as the video seems to show it actually working

As Aimar says above most of the import machines need some bits and bobs swapping to make them reliable
    Rtech do this and a company called tec arc here in the UK it puts the price up though

seriously i have seen one of these cheap china welders sat in a box after 20 minutes where the guy just went and spent more money to get satisfaction and hes a hobby guy

its one of those you pays your money you takes your chances things im afraid

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, thanks for the detailed info. It sounds like the units are ok but there could be a problem with service and the torch is a bit heavy. The second one in my list above offers 5 years guaranty and is located about 2 hours from my house. I will likely go with them. Besides, I could buy 2 - 3 of these machines for the price of a Lorch or Rehm.

I checked the HP of Welbach. They have a shop and offer it in EUR for the same price as the ebay add in GBP. In other words it's 230 GBP less to buy direct.

If I remember correctly, the pulser is only needed when welding thin walled stuff and only if you don't use the foot pedal (which I will buy as well). Is that correct?
    Cheers
    Kevin

PolyTube Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by datas_brother View Post
    If I remember correctly, the pulser is only needed when welding thin walled stuff and only if you don't use the foot pedal (which I will buy as well). Is that correct?

Assuming I'm understanding your question properly, the answer is no. If you're welding tubing of a gauge typical in a bicycle frame, you will need the foot pedal, whether you're pulsing or not.

Alistair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by datas_brother View Post
    Well, it all depends, as usual...

Pulser can be helpful with thin tubes as it can put less overall heat, also can help for better looking puddle, but it's all about what you're used to, many experienced welders can do it perfectly without pulse, and a non experienced one with pulse will still go through troubles. It's just another "tool" you can take advantadge of. I do like pulse but I've also welded without pulse, and controlling travel speed and amps you can have similar results.

For the foot pedal, it can work together with the pulse or without. I find the foot pedal control much more interesting than pulse, as it does not only allows you to control the arc amperage at each moment depending on what the puddle asks, but also will allow you to handle the torch as a pencil giving better control of it.

Pulse? good thing but not a must. Foot pedal? Absolutely high on the wish list.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys! If you weren't all so far away I'd drop by with a case of good German beer.

I'm going for both (pedal and pulse). I'll start with some thick walled steel and work my way to the more difficult stuff when I feel ready.
    Cheers
    Kevin

PolyTube Cycles