Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default G Shock

I keep breaking mechanical watches. My 78 Sub, twice. 2 Seiko’s dead beyond value. And now a Dura Ace branded Seiko from the Dura Ace 25th anniversary group, questionably done.

I bought a G Shock DW5600E-1V for $50 online and thought I’d give it a shot to see if I like it.

Maybe I’ll love it or maybe it’ll make me want a fancier G.

Anyone have any experience with these watches, everyone seems to love them on the watch forums but none of those dudes actually beat up their stuff. Though folks with fancy watches dig these so I’m guessing they have something to them.

???
    Last edited by Justin@BlackOakVelo; 10-30-2017 at 08:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: G Shock

I have a larger version of the one you ordered and it never dies. I also don't wear it anymore but it's been through about 16 years of wear and tear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DCT View Post
    I have a larger version of the one you ordered and it never dies. I also don't wear it anymore but it's been through about 16 years of wear and tear.
    Bring it through, it’d be cool to check it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they are very good watches, but they look a little dorky. i find the hard plastic bands a little too rigid and uncomfortable, but at the end of the day - they are, by all means, bulletproof watches.

some may know, i have a merchant marine/navy background. spent plenty of time in the engine room of ships and crawling/running through submarines. if you wear a mechanical watch in such an environment, it's only a matter of time until you wack it against a bulkhead, hatch threshold, steam pipe or other very firm, metallic structure. g-shocks are the survivors in such environments. beyond the marine industry, they are almost certainly the most worn watches of all military personnel and law enforcement. guys who beat the hell out of gear, and rely on it, sometimes for their lives.

the bands can and do crack and wear out. the best chance of killing one is when changing the battery (solar ones have answered this question), but generally speaking, you wont do any fatal damage to a genuine g-shock.

personally, i like the "baby G" line, which are in the 42mm size range - which fit my skinny wrists better.

i'm a diehard automatic mechanical dive watch guy, and own a slew of good, reputable divers, but when i know i'm likely to thrash a watch around, the g-shock gets the call.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had a solar powered atomic G Shock for a decade +. It was my daily wear when I was a street cop. It was beat to hell, abused, forgotten about, neglected and worn daily. It's not as pretty as when new, but it still works perfect. I pull it out every week or 2 just because. Since I wear a suit and work mostly behind a desk now, I wear the nice stuff to work.

Mine is the previous version of this one: GWM53A-1 - G Shock | Casio USA
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want the unkillable quartz watch, it's your huckleberry.

But just like any zombie that refuses to die, they're also generally uglier than sin. They last though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    ”...Mine is the previous version of this one: GWM53A-1 - G Shock | Casio USA...”
    Same here. Entirely suitable for riding when who-knows-what-conditions may present themselves.
    I do wish they would discard the absurd and utterly illegible sub-dials to make the TIME bigger.