Quote Originally Posted by dhoff View Post
I am missing something here. Why "get away with" carbon, when a Steripen handles these issues completely? I keep it in my saddlebag on long rides just in case. It weighs little and you just need to change the batteries every once in a while.

I can understand wanting something else if you are going to be away from battery sources for months at a time. But if you are going to hit a town every 1000 liters of water or so, you are all set.

-d
From Wikipedia, the lazy person's research. Still, this is what I've heard from colleagues in the international health field-

Still, there are limits to this technology. Water turbidity (i.e., the amount of suspended & colloidal solids contained in the water to be treated) must be low, such that the water is clear, for UV purification to work well - thus a pre-filter step might be necessary.

A concern with UV portable water purification is that some pathogens are hundreds of times less sensitive to UV light than others. Protozoan cysts were once believed to be among the least sensitive, however recent studies have proved otherwise, demonstrating that both Cryptosporidium and Giardia are deactivated by a UV dose of just 6 mJ/cm sq.[12] However, EPA regulations and other studies show that it is viruses that are the limiting factor of UV treatment, requiring a 10-30 times greater dose of UV light than Giardia or Cryptosporidium[13] .[14] Furthermore, studies have shown that UV doses at the levels provided by common portable UV units are effective at killing Giardia[15] and that there was no evidence of repair and reactivation of the cysts.[16]

Water treated with UV still has the microbes present in the water, only with their means for reproduction turned "off". In the event that such UV-treated water containing neutered microbes is exposed to visible light (specifically, wavelengths of light over 330-500 nm) for any significant period of time, a process known as photo reactivation can take place, where the possibility for repairing the damage in the bacteria's reproduction DNA arises, potentially rendering them once more capable of reproducing and causing disease.[17] UV-treated water must therefore not be exposed to visible light for any significant period of time after UV treatment, before consumption, to avoid ingesting reactivated and dangerous microbes.