Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Binge Watching Series Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Bear

It's not a TV show, but it is one of the best pieces of entertainment on the planet - Kill Tony. So, so, so much fun. It ranges from hilarious, to SUPER cringy, to wildly offensive, to mind blowing, to heart warming. So so so much fun.

The latest ep was a pretty good one. FYI, Rogan is a tiny part of it, so if you're not a fan, that's okay.

Last edited by dgaddis; 07-25-2024 at 05:01 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunny on AppleTV has been decent. I'm interested in where it is going to go. Right now they are in the one-episode-per-week mode. Rashida Jones is doing a good acting job, and the supporting group is good as well. Plot involves the disappearance of a husband and son in a plane incident, followed by arrival of a computerized "house assistant" supposedly programmed by the husband to help the wife through her grief. There are some strange time shifts where memory and present moments get kind of mixed, adding to some of the mystery about who the husband really was and perhaps also eroding the credibility of the wife's perception of the narrative chronology.

Resembles in some way the story in Netflix's House of Ninjas about a family in Japan who are secretly ninjas tasked with preserving the status quo and safety of present day Japan. So far Sunny is better written and more cohesive as a piece, but House of Ninjas was a fun watch nonetheless.

Both are comedic with a touch of darkness and some drama and danger.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn’t see ‘A Gentleman in Moscow’ come up on the search-o-matic.
    Great role for Ian McGregor, high production values, good story lines.
    Eight episodes, one season, finis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re-watch the whole MCU and all other superhero movies and read a lot of comics then go see Deadpool+Wolverine. I'm sure most of the references and Easter Eggs got past me. But it was much better than DP2. Oh, and then watch Hot Ones with DP and Wolvy.

I've been waiting for some Episodes of Sunny to build up. Glad to hear good things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finished watching 3 Body Problem. It was entertaining. The first book of the series, read several years ago, though is hard work in comparison. I will have to go back and re-read it and finish the series off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    Re-watch the whole MCU and all other superhero movies and read a lot of comics then go see Deadpool+Wolverine. I'm sure most of the references and Easter Eggs got past me. But it was much better than DP2. Oh, and then watch Hot Ones with DP and Wolvy.

I've been waiting for some Episodes of Sunny to build up. Glad to hear good things.
    DP+WV looks like a lot of fun.
    I've randomly decided I want to watch Loki again- probably after baseball season, for mindless Peloton content.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just started Decameron on Netflix - so far so good!

Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    “Maybe chairs shouldn’t be comfortable. At some point, you want your guests to leave.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    DP+WV looks like a lot of fun.
    I've randomly decided I want to watch Loki again- probably after baseball season, for mindless Peloton content.
    Loki>baseball

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Binge Watching Series Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    Loki>baseball
    Depends on whether or not the Yanks pull out of this schnied.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been watching 'Highcountry' which is an Australian murder mystery along the lines of Nordic noir.
    It's a bit predictable, but it is set in a very beautiful part of Australia. It's has good production values and the visuals are just different from what we see on European or US tv. No critty urban settings.

It's a vacation for the brain. I have it on BBC, and maybe you can find it on some US service.

It's nice to know people who speak english are just as eff'd up everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We started the new season of Umbrella Academy. Verdict so far is that if you liked the first three seasons you'll like this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really a binge as much as a long running narrative or an intermittent travelogue. Story line is semi-typical - guy decides to do long distance cycle tour from Alaska to Argentina, meets woman who decides she wants to ride with him, and adventure ensues. The difference is that the two of them are good story tellers, deep thinkers and highly respectful of each other and the people they meet. Anyone who has done any long tours will recognize their honesty about exhilaration, exertion, fears and joys. It is what happens. After a year and a half, the trip is now entering southern Mexico, but I won't say anything more than that. I'd recommend watching start to finish. Take your time.
    Last edited by j44ke; 6 Days Ago at 09:11 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Not really a binge as much as a long running narrative or an intermittent travelogue. Story line is semi-typical - guy decides to do long distance cycle tour from Alaska to Argentina, meets woman who decides she wants to ride with him, and adventure ensues. The difference is that the two of them are good story tellers, deep thinkers and highly respectful of each other and the people they meet. Anyone who has done any long tours will recognize their honesty about exhilaration, exertion, fears and joys. It is what happens. After a year and a half, the trip is now entering southern Mexico, but I won't say anything more than that. I'd recommend watching start to finish. Take your time.
    Great. Episode 1 and I’m hooked. You monster!
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m a few years late but I just got 3 months free AppleTV with a new computer and I’ve been watching Slow Horses. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen something that keeps me going “just one more and I’ll go to sleep”.

Sort of a grittier Spooks (think that was called MI5 in the US) - spy drama and Gary Oldman and a few others.

The usual British thing of not too many episodes too so it’s not overwhelming starting from the beginning.

Oldman is fantastic - his character is an absolute slob but a brilliant spy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg View Post
    I’m a few years late but I just got 3 months free AppleTV with a new computer and I’ve been watching Slow Horses. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen something that keeps me going “just one more and I’ll go to sleep”.

Sort of a grittier Spooks (think that was called MI5 in the US) - spy drama and Gary Oldman and a few others.

The usual British thing of not too many episodes too so it’s not overwhelming starting from the beginning.

Oldman is fantastic - his character is an absolute slob but a brilliant spy.
    I'm a fan. And there is a new season coming this week!!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a fan. And there is a new season coming this week!!
    Did not know it was coming back- cool!
    I cranked thru the first seasons on the indoor bike last winter. Really fun dialogue and the right mix of comic plus suspense.

I re-started Peaky Blinders this weekend for lack of anything better besides Yankee games. After the first three episodes (again), it’s still worth it.
    Last edited by robin3mj; 5 Days Ago at 07:50 PM.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep Season 4 starts on Sept 4 (Wednesday.)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5875444/

Wednesday is also the last episode of Sunny on AppleTV. I've become an Annie the Clumsy fan. She's the actress who plays Mixxy, the sidekick of Suzie, played by Rashida Jones.

Really I don't watch a lot of TV, but lately at night I need an hour before my brain will shut off and let me sleep.
    Last edited by j44ke; 5 Days Ago at 08:17 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep Season 4 starts on Sept 4 (Wednesday.)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5875444/

Wednesday is also the last episode of Sunny on AppleTV. I've become an Annie the Clumsy fan. She's the actress who plays Mixxy, the sidekick of Suzie, played by Rashida Jones.

Really I don't watch a lot of TV, but lately at night I need an hour before my brain will shut off and let me sleep.
    Sunny is on my radar, probably this winter. I also don’t watch much more than one show at a time.

Watched the first few of Bad Monkey and it’s fun/enjoyable but left it and will probably binge the rest at some point.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm loving Montalbano, streaming on Kanopy... Sicilian cop, mafia, gritty, etc... and lots of food.
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    “Maybe chairs shouldn’t be comfortable. At some point, you want your guests to leave.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    I re-started Peaky Blinders this weekend for lack of anything better besides Yankee games. After the first three episodes (again), it’s still worth it.
    I put off watching that show for years figuring it was an overrated period drama. When I finally decided to give it a go, while stuck home with Covid last year I binged every episode in about 10 days and I'm looking forward to starting again soon. Probably my favorite show or at least in my top 3.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids