Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 1743

Thread: irrational fear of flying

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: irrational fear of flying

The greatest hits just continues, in this case, a pissed (in the British sense) passenger pisses in the cabin after having 9 Jack & Coke, in the process causing a flight diversion and pissing off the crew and passengers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paying airport bar prices for 9 mediocre mixed drinks? He fined himself!
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Paying airport bar prices for 9 mediocre mixed drinks? He fined himself!
    I think this guy was flying first class, so probably had his in-flight drink comped and then got the other drinks comped in the lounge. But still, you are right on about mediocre drinks... Incidentally, rum+Coke or Jack+Coke seems to be a common accessory for drunk passengers causing trouble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

During Covid my airline (and others I believe) minimized cabin service and I know mine stopped all alcohol service for a while. When it came back the flight attendants weren’t too happy because alcohol is a catalyst for so many issues. It’s also a huge source of revenue for airlines generally. Balancing act and anyone who had nine drinks needn’t be on any airplane.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As one of my former captains used to say, "That's not a near miss, it's a near hit!" Police dashcam video of a "loss of separation" between two regional airliners over KSYR. Make sure to watch for the reaction of the law enforcement officer.

https://www.localsyr.com/news/local-...over-syracuse/

Greg
    Old age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm every time…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll take a drunk with a few Jack and Cokes in them, in comparison to smoke grenades any day...

@TSA removed these two grenades from a checked bag at @PITairport this morning. Fortunately they were inert. Either way, live or inert, these can't fly! The traveler said his friend told him that he could take them on a plane. With friends like that, . . .

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tsa-remov...151502870.html
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    As one of my former captains used to say, "That's not a near miss, it's a near hit!" Police dashcam video of a "loss of separation" between two regional airliners over KSYR. Make sure to watch for the reaction of the law enforcement officer.

https://www.localsyr.com/news/local-...over-syracuse/

Greg
    I wonder how much lateral separation there is in this video. TCAS should give at least a TA even if an RA may be inhibited at those lower altitudes.

Too many close calls lately though across the industry, which seems to be in the news for the wrong reasons too much lately.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 07-09-2024 at 06:01 PM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

With a future flight to AMS on our wish list, this story only reinforces our plan to bring our own food.
    The only time I've flown to Amsterdam was on KLM and it was a great experience. It was non-stop from DFW and IIRC, about 9 hours. My son and I sat in economy plus and as a tallish guy, I was comfortable. The food was great, I think the drink cart was in constant motion, and having a cognac after dinner made me wonder what the poor people were doing that day.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know why some airplanes are kept so cold? I flew Brussels Air to and from Entebbe, Uganda from JFK through Brussels. 4 planes in total, all of them A330-300’s. And all of them had cabin temps of somewhere around 64-66F. People were wearing down jackets - at least those lucky enough to have them. The rest of us were trying to figure out how to keep warm. I asked the staff several times about the cold temperatures, and they basically responded with various bullshit answers that sounded like they were designed by the home office. 4 planes, all the same type, all kept well below comfort range - had to be company policy. Not random.

What’s up?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t know but it sounds like policy. My wife is perpetually cold on flights so she always has a light wool shawl in her carry on as an extra layer. I bring one of the small fleece travel blankets she bought at IKEA for a couple dollars apiece almost 10 years ago. That silly little blanket is perfect for travel—chilly planes, hotel rooms where the provided bedding is too much, Japan in August when you don’t want to be uncovered but you sure as heck don’t want real covers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Does anyone know why some airplanes are kept so cold? I flew Brussels Air to and from Entebbe, Uganda from JFK through Brussels. 4 planes in total, all of them A330-300’s. And all of them had cabin temps of somewhere around 64-66F. People were wearing down jackets - at least those lucky enough to have them. The rest of us were trying to figure out how to keep warm. I asked the staff several times about the cold temperatures, and they basically responded with various bullshit answers that sounded like they were designed by the home office. 4 planes, all the same type, all kept well below comfort range - had to be company policy. Not random. What’s up?
    From my FlightRadar source...

A factor that contributes to the coolness of the cabin is the way that air circulates inside the plane. Air is generally supplied to the cabin through the engine compressors, which can heat up the air significantly. To prevent the cabin from becoming too hot, the air conditioning system is set to cool the air down to a comfortable temperature. This cooling effect can sometimes make the cabin feel quite chilly, especially if you’re sitting near a vent. In addition to temperature control, the cool air also helps prevent the spread of germs and disease by minimizing the amount of moisture in the air. This is particularly important on long flights where passengers are in close quarters with each other for extended periods of time. Another reason why airplane cabins are kept cool is to reduce the risk of passenger fatigue and dehydration. Cool air helps prevent drowsiness and fatigue, allowing passengers to stay alert and focused throughout the flight. Additionally, cool air helps keep the body from losing too much moisture, reducing the risk of dehydration.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    From my FlightRadar source...

A factor that contributes to the coolness of the cabin is the way that air circulates inside the plane. Air is generally supplied to the cabin through the engine compressors, which can heat up the air significantly. To prevent the cabin from becoming too hot, the air conditioning system is set to cool the air down to a comfortable temperature. This cooling effect can sometimes make the cabin feel quite chilly, especially if you’re sitting near a vent. In addition to temperature control, the cool air also helps prevent the spread of germs and disease by minimizing the amount of moisture in the air. This is particularly important on long flights where passengers are in close quarters with each other for extended periods of time. Another reason why airplane cabins are kept cool is to reduce the risk of passenger fatigue and dehydration. Cool air helps prevent drowsiness and fatigue, allowing passengers to stay alert and focused throughout the flight. Additionally, cool air helps keep the body from losing too much moisture, reducing the risk of dehydration.
    I'll take cold anytime as opposed to a 14 hr flight with sweaty people who smell like rancid butter. (according to my daughters)

My wife swears by her lightweight uniqlo puffy even in summer. I go with my hoody.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Cool air helps prevent drowsiness and fatigue, allowing passengers to stay alert and focused throughout the flight.
    Not me, sir. I shorten long flights by detouring to la la land.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This cooling effect can sometimes make the cabin feel quite chilly, especially if you’re sitting near a vent.
    Classic reflection of actual experience onto the subjectivity of the individual. The Brussels Air flight didn't "feel" chilly. Feel is subjective. If you have people wearing down parkas and wrapped in several blankets and even shivering visibly, that's cold.

But the FlightRadar quote persuades me that this isn't an accident but a company policy not controllable at the flight attendent level. I'd guess that germ transference is the primary aspect, with health of the cabin crew probably the concern.
    Last edited by j44ke; 07-26-2024 at 03:58 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not me, sir. I shorten long flights by detouring to la la land.
    Benadryl time machine.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Benadryl time machine.
    SAAB swears by it
    Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tour the Airbus final assembly line for an A350…pretty cool.

rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine the smell if plane cabins weren't cool. I always bring a thick sweat-shirt with me for short flights were I don't intend to sleep + a blanket for longer flighrs where I know I might sleep and I am not sure if the airline will provide them.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Back in my submarine days, the boat was kept cold, especially in berthing. When laying in my bunk and reading, I could see my breath. It was on purpose, people and shoe funk is not as bad when it's cold. You could always put on a sweater or hang out in the engine room to get warm. On one mission, we were in warmer water than we were set up for. Our R114s were charged and adjusted for cold seawater. We had a tasking in warmer water and for a month, the boat was hot because we couldn't keep the R144s running. It was miserable with 90 degree temps and high humidity. If aircraft were allowed to stay warm, I don't think it would be much different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn’t find the first installment in the series…
    rw saunders