Thread: Fishin'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fishin'

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    It's the Ocmulgee River in central GA. First & second pic is a shoal bass, the third is a spotted bass. Those were the two biggest catches off the day, both caught in about 1-2ft deep fast flowing water. Sometimes you'll find them in pockets of still water next to the current, but most of the time they're IN the current. The riverbed in this area is all boulders tho, so even if the surface looks like fast flowing current the submerged rocks provide plenty of pockets of calm water for them to hang out in and wait for food to go by.
    That's straight up fishing 101, great observations !

Oddly enough, in our Verde River we have pure blood Coosa bass that were introduced from the river basin of the same name, and Florida strain LM
    The Black Bass family is pretty damn fascinating - here the one with the blue face is a Coosa, the other obviously a LMB, the LMB are in the pools as you say, whereas the Coosa are in the direct current like a trout
    - Garro.323876204_909872947053485_4067533948911971918_n-2.jpg

323881253_1415431278990547_960427882529684131_n.jpg
    Last edited by steve garro; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:18 PM.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the third is a spotted bass.
    Wow, I've never even heard of a "spotted bass" ...but 9-year-old me would swear that 3rd pic is what we used to call "sunfish" when freshwater fishing in lakes and ponds around Pittsburgh PA circa 1968.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Wow, I've never even heard of a "spotted bass" ...but 9-year-old me would swear that 3rd pic is what we used to call "sunfish" when freshwater fishing in lakes and ponds around Pittsburgh PA circa 1968.
    haha, yeah that one is a sunfish/bream (did I spell that right?), I meant the third pic of a bass. Here's a couple other views of spotted bass. Which I think isn't a great name...the 'spots' all touch each other, for the most part, and form more of a line than a row of spots. But whatever, no one asked me what to call it.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bream, dollar, pumpkinseed, red breast, bluegill, etc.

Sunfish are fun on a fly rod.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha, yeah that one is a sunfish/bream (did I spell that right?), I meant the third pic of a bass. Here's a couple other views of spotted bass. Which I think isn't a great name...the 'spots' all touch each other, for the most part, and form more of a line than a row of spots. But whatever, no one asked me what to call it.
    The whole spot/ row of spots/ line of spots runs through the whole bass family…here is the first (decade or so ago) pic I found which proves that point…a striped bass….which is a saltwater fish so a whole different kind of fishing…but the gene pool and traits are constant across sweet and salt…

« If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    The whole spot/ row of spots/ line of spots runs through the whole bass family…here is the first (decade or so ago) pic I found which proves that point…a striped bass….which is a saltwater fish so a whole different kind of fishing…but the gene pool and traits are constant across sweet and salt…

Striped Bass aka
    "Stripers" (Morone saxatilis) are in a family that's comprised of them, white bass, yellow bass, and I think one other..........white perch, maybe = is a whooooooole different family from freshwater Black Bass which *does* have a member called specifically "Spotted Bass" = Micropterus punctulatus = includes LMB, SMB, spotted, coosa, Quatro Cienegas, Alahambra.........depends or whether you are a "lumper" or a "splitter" species wise = I grew up catching Stripers in fresh water, Lake Powell in AZ/UT

- Garro.
    Last edited by steve garro; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:19 AM.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have just returned from the county of Devon (South West England) where part of the time I was fishing with a pre-fire (pre 1964) Leonard 38 ACM, 7ft, bamboo rod, a Leonard Fairy Reel and half a double taper #3 silk line, casting dry flies size 16 to 22. The little rivers are headwaters of the river Lyd which flows into the river Tamar which enters the sea further south at Plymouth.

In 1964 the Leonard factory, in Central Valley, New York burnt down. Although the company was revived between 1965 and the early 1980s, the pre-fire rods have a different name stamp which helps to identify them.

The reel seat on this rod is too small to take a standard fly reel and it was made to fit the tiny (2 inch) Fairy reel which is shown with the rod.

Although I now make my own bamboo rods (about 10 rods per year), I think it is fun, occasionally, to use classic rods and reels which still do the job.