Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233

Thread: Boots

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Boots

I've had a pair of Altberg Warrior boots for a while - the UK standard issue military ones. They are really good but the wide version wasn't quite wide enough for my square feet. I really like the ankle support though.

I've been thinking about getting a pair of the extra wide ones but they are expensive and they insist on a factory visit to get the size right.

I don't remember doing it but a while ago an eBay alert popped up telling me there was a listing for a 10XW pair of boots from some sort of house clearance place. They looked okay in the picture so I took a chance with a low offer. Once I cleaned the dust off them I'm not sure they've ever been worn - barely a crease in the leather.

They're really good. Mine seem to be an older model that doesn't have the rand around the edge - they look just like this:

Mainly they get used for walking the dog and dry feet on cool mornings is nice. Took them on a hike with family last week and they were great - I felt like Legolas when they were all scrambling along on hands and knees and I was ambling down beside them fully vertical - they have great grip and the stiff sole is really good on rocky stuff.

I'm putting a lot of wear on them but the factory can resole them so I should get a few years out of them. Tempted to get the XW military ones in the future too - the higher ankle was great a few months ago when the ground was wet.
    It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: hiking boots

Quote Originally Posted by COVRTDESIGN View Post
    I now have 6 pairs of the Salomon X Ultra 4 Mid Gore-Tex boots from different years. I don't think I will go to anything else for hiking and everyday use.

Attachment 122854

I have 4 pairs of the X Ultra 4 Gore-Tex shoes as well. Great price, great color choices, and incredibly comfortable.

Attachment 122855
    Just back from 3 weeks birdwatching in Uganda. The X Ultra 4's are the real get-it-done deal. They do not inspire confidence in the hand or out of the box but put them on your feet and go and they do their thing and don't bust up your feet. I'm a believer.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have a guy they recommend for doing a re-sole? My Redwings are about due.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Anyone have a guy they recommend for doing a re-sole? My Redwings are about due.
    I sent mine to Redwing. They did a nice job and used the original model replacement soles (excellent!) even though a previous cobbler used a different sole. I see the prices on their website, but I think I paid $75/pair.

https://www.redwingshoes.com/contact-us/repairs.html
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have never used him, but the Alden fanboys swear by Aram:

https://www.aramthecobbler.com/

his work is supposedly top shelf.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick update:
    The Blacksmiths are currently at Wyatt & Dad getting a resole. Going back same as stock basically, no change up. So far I like the company, they called me once they received the boots and had a few questions for me and a few suggestions which I'm glad they asked about. Should get them back soon(ish) hopefully.

Also after thinking about them for a while, and trying some on, I've got a pair of moc toes ordered. Local store didn't have the classic color variant in stock but they did have these which I liked a lot more than I suspected, but, I'm not sure what they'll look like a few years from now so I went w/the classics.

When I first tried them on I wasn't sure if the sizing was right as they're really roomy in the toes, but, the width at the ball of my feet was a tiny tiny bit snug. I tried the next half size down, but they didn't have the regular mocs in that size but they did have these which are similar but slightly different (built on a different last). But they were definitely too small, so I ordered them in the same size as my Iron Rangers and Blacksmiths.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 1 Week Ago at 03:53 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife says these are 'old man' boots.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife says these are 'old man' boots.
    Your wife is absolutely right. But luckily we all end up old and these never wear out.
    Just explain to her how, factoring in for inflation over your life, much money you saved buying old man boots now before you get old.
    Genius, absolute genius.

This also helps you develop your mansplaining skills which is another trait men refine as they age.

And don't forget to tell her about the time.....