Dear Guest, Please register or login. Content don't create itself! Thank you

User Tag List

Page 137 of 137 FirstFirst ... 127128129130131132133134135136137
Results 2,721 to 2,727 of 2727

Thread: Grumps can suck it, it's Friday!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Grumps can suck it, it's Friday!

I'm geeking out on history all week in Pittsburgh. I am completing a master's thesis that focuses on western PA 1750-1774 and I'm doing my research at the Heinz History Center. Today I was studying The History of Pennsylvania Vol 2, compiled during the Revolutionary War and published in the 1780s. The actual book, over 240 years old. My research fellowship mostly paid for this trip. I also applied for a program through the Wilson Center to study the Cold War and prepare papers. If I get that fellowship, I'll travel to Budapest next May to use an Open Source archive of the Cold War, but from an Eastern Bloc point of view. This is so much better than being an engineer.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I'm geeking out on history all week in Pittsburgh. I am completing a master's thesis that focuses on western PA 1750-1774 and I'm doing my research at the Heinz History Center. Today I was studying The History of Pennsylvania Vol 2, compiled during the Revolutionary War and published in the 1780s. The actual book, over 240 years old. My research fellowship mostly paid for this trip. I also applied for a program through the Wilson Center to study the Cold War and prepare papers. If I get that fellowship, I'll travel to Budapest next May to use an Open Source archive of the Cold War, but from an Eastern Bloc point of view. This is so much better than being an engineer.
    Look up Aketown PA and Jacob Ake.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before the region’s historical records were relocated to the Heinz History Center in the late 90’s, they were housed at the Western Pennsylvania Historical Society’s building, which was adjacent to the University of Pittsburgh campus. It reminded me of a CIA safe house, in that you rarely saw activity outside of the building but when you did, you could tell that it was a different crowd..at least to this college student. Bill, take an 10-15 minute Uber over to the Pitt and Carnegie Mellon campuses if you have time, as the original Carnegie Museum of Natural History and the Carnegie Library are located between the campuses and being a history buff, the buildings are both circa 1895 and bustling with activity. There’s also a great cafe in the Carnegie Museum of Art lobby (in the same complex). My other favorite museum here beside the Andy Warhol Museum is the Clemente Museum…you’re another 10 minutes away from there, as it’s in the Lawrenceville neighborhood…lots of good restaurants and microbreweries. Little known fact…Roberto was a Marine too.

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islan...5.B003.F17.I01

https://carnegiemnh.org/explore/museum-history/

https://www.carnegielibrary.org/abou...of-pittsburgh/

https://clementemuseum.com/
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Mother-in-Law Dot, turns 99 on 16 September and we're having a party in her honor on Sunday. To place things in perspective, she’s been through events ranging from the Great Depression, WWII, the development of computers, a few other past and ongoing wars, space flight, Covid, 17 Presidents…unreal.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I wrapped up my week in Pittsburgh. I fly home in the morning. On Tuesday, I walked down to the Strip District and had a sandwich and IC Lite at Primanti Brothers. Wednesday, I walked to Fort Duquesne and had some NY style pizza at Giovanni's for dinner. It was a 10K step day, so I felt good about the pizza. Thursday evening, I walked back to the Strip District and had a Iron Born Detroit style heirloom tomato pizza. I could only eat half (3 of 6 slices). Today, I walked across the Warhol Bridge and back across the Rachel Carlson Bridge, just to get out for a while. I had the other 3 pieces of pizza for dinner.

Most of the other things I could have seen have the same hours as the archives, 10 am to 5 pm, and my focus was on research. I found 14 new sources and did all the bibliography entries with notes and page numbers so I can cite them in my thesis. I took a break and viewed the Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood exhibit.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m a fan of 10k-step days in cities that are new to me. And Detroit style pizza. I don’t know why rectangular pizza is fun, but it is.
    Last edited by 72gmc; 4 Days Ago at 07:47 PM.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    I’m a fan of 10k-step days in cities that are new to me. And Detroit style pizza. I don’t know why rectangular pizza is fun, but it is.
    Easier to roll up and put in your pocket for later.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books