Dear Guest, Please register or login. Content don't create itself! Thank you

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Best Online News Sources? Paid or Unpaid?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Best Online News Sources? Paid or Unpaid?

There’s a difference between the Guardian and NYT?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    There’s a difference between the Guardian and NYT?
    What is your preferred news source?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Preferred Sources.

Local interest, food, sports (the trivial or inconsequential): LA Times

Travel: NYT

Europe and ME: Grayzone

Culture and Health: unherd.com

US political and current events: Twitter and Substack citizen journalism. The whole umbrella, including disgraced former mainstream media journalists (Taibbi, Greenwald), conspiratorial marxist accounts and major non-western feeds (RT, aljazeera, etc).

A regular at my favorite dive bar used to write for The Guardian. I asked him if he left due to the economics of the post-print media landscape. Spewing the most colorful Brit expletives, he accused The Guardian of being a right wing corporate rag. Bias, man.

Quote Originally Posted by takashi View Post
    What is your preferred news source?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    A regular at my favorite dive bar used to write for The Guardian. I asked him if he left due to the economics of the post-print media landscape. Spewing the most colorful Brit expletives, he accused The Guardian of being a right wing corporate rag. Bias, man.
    Couldn't be wider of the mark. And given that this is a single-source commentary from a former employee (the circumstances of whose separation from the organization is unknown), a comment to be take with huge grain of salt.

The Guardian has always maintained a left-of-center editorial stance, with some occasional columnist going quite left (as in Corbin Soviet-philia left). Perhaps someone with views more aligned with the Daily Worker might call it right wing corporate rag, but both in substance and in reputation, it is decidedly not right wing.

To wit, it recently ran a sport column titled As the World Series approaches, baseball still struggles with racial bias. Yes, a typically right wing rag would definitely publish such an article.

The actual right wing corporate rag is actually the Daily Telegraph (aka Torygraph).

The paper of record is the Times of London (center right). The paper of commerce is the Financial Times (with stance most comparable to that of The Economist).

To end this on a lighter note, the list of papers makes for a convenient segue to this clip from Yes, Minister on the various British newspapers (skip to ~0:50 for the start of actual joke).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just shared the anecdote to illustrate how my perception of The Guardian as a Pravdaesque organ of radical progressive ideology isn’t shared by my left-leaning barfly pal.

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    Couldn't be wider of the mark. And given that this is a single-source commentary from a former employee (the circumstances of whose separation from the organization is unknown), a comment to be take with huge grain of salt.

The Guardian has always maintained a left-of-center editorial stance, with some occasional columnist going quite left (as in Corbin Soviet-philia left). Perhaps someone with views more aligned with the Daily Worker might call it right wing corporate rag, but both in substance and in reputation, it is decidedly not right wing.

To wit, it recently ran a sport column titled As the World Series approaches, baseball still struggles with racial bias. Yes, a typically right wing rag would definitely publish such an article.

The actual right wing corporate rag is actually the Daily Telegraph (aka Torygraph).

The paper of record is the Times of London (center right). The paper of commerce is the Financial Times (with stance most comparable to that of The Economist).

To end this on a lighter note, the list of papers makes for a convenient segue to this clip from Yes, Minister on the various British newspapers (skip to ~0:50 for the start of actual joke).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been reading WaPo since my High School history teacher arranged for no consequences newsprint reading during her lectures.

Buh bye beeches. May the bird of paridise fly up you nose.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345