Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Travel Advice Sought: Paris, Tour of Flanders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Travel Advice Sought: Paris, Tour of Flanders

Well, it looks as if the lady and I might be taking a week-long trip to Paris around the same time as the Tour of Flanders. Of course we're gonna try and make it, but means by which we'll do so remain unsure. I was thinking we might take the TGV to Brussels straight from Charles de Gaulle; we could catch some sights (and a bit of bike racing) around the Belgian capital and then make our way to Paris for the remainder of our trip.

What I'm mostly curious to find out is: what is the best way to take in the Ronde? Make it out to one of the bigger 'bergs and hang out all day? Some random street corner in a small town? Go to the Finish and drink beer while watching the screens?

Any recommendations on places to stay/eat in France and Belgium would also be très appréciés. Though any kind of serious riding is off the agenda for this trip, we'd love to rent a tandem for a day and perhaps see some countryside.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Travel Advice Sought: Paris, Tour of Flanders

Viewing a major race is best done on television. But if you want to say that you were THERE, you have to go through the trouble of getting to the side of the road. I like to go watch, but I also record it so I can actually see the event. I can say that I was on the mountainside when the leaders and the main pack came by for the 2004 and 2010 Tour de France. I also got this:

France and Belgium are rife with great little places to eat. Walking into any little roadside place near the race course is great. The frites are also great. I enjoyed almost every place we ate except one little pizza place in Brugge. Of course, you chould get a bottle of your favorite drink, a baggett, a block of cheese and make a picnic of it. Unless of course, it is spitting rain and cold as hell.

Taking a train to a race is pretty easy in Europe. Brussels has a good subway system. Beware of pickpockets. They truly are everywhere. I was pickpocketed last summer (by a 12 year old girl, her 8 year old accomplice and about 6 others who were decoys, handoff people and lookouts), even though I had a dummy wallet, they got the real one. They stand near the signs that say "Watch out for the pickpockets" and see if you reach for your wallet when you see it. Get a money belt and use it for anything you don't want to have to replace.
    Good cyclists are:
    Visible, Predictable, Alert, Assertive and Courteous

They also use the five layers of protection available.
    Layer 1: Control your bike
    Layer 2: Know and follow the rules of the road
    Layer 3: Ride in the smartest lane position
    Layer 4: Manage hazards skillfully
    Layer 5: Utilize passive protection.

Chris, Broussard, LA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice Chris.

Has anyone here ever watched the cobbled classics?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with everything Chris (great picture) said- especially the part about the pick pockets. Experts- you may put your hand in your jeans pocket and find someone elses and not even know it.

My uncle lives in Chantilly so I have been lucky enough to get to Roubaix to watch the finish and stand on the course- tried to get to 2 vantage points but it was too hard with all the traffic that day. Would not try to do it again even though I know others have done it with ease.
    Never been to the Ronde but camping out on a berg sounds awesome- along with some of your good friends wine, bread, salted meat and cheese.

Not much of a secret, but TV is much better for watching the race. I even watched it on TV when the Tour was in Montpelier (visiting my dad) a few years ago when it finished literally a few blocks away from where I was staying. Totally lame of me- but I wanted to see the action vs being packed in a huge crowd 6 deep.

I have a couple of hotels I can recommend in Paris and more than likely get you a couple of names in Brussels if you plan on staying in town- I should be able to get them tonight or by Firday at the latest if you want some suggestions.

If you are looking for a spot outside of Paris I can probably get my uncle to recommend something that is within train distance to Paris.

The one thing I think is really cool is to get to the depart prior to the start (on the very early side)- IMHO it is better than the finish.
    Always a good story comes of walking around the start and far more entertaining than standing on the side of the road and having the peleton go by in a flash...

My only question- why is this OT? this is what it is all about right? should be an awesome trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW, you will have to transfer by train from Charles DeGaule to Gare du Nord to take the TGV to Brussels.

And talk about go by in a flash. You will be on the roadside for many hours to get a decent spot. Then the race will go by in about 2 minutes, so seconds of which is the leader or lead pack. Gone. But you can say that you were there. I would have loved to have been there to see the mazing break by Cancellara. Maybe I woudl have heard that electric motor, huh? ;)
    Good cyclists are:
    Visible, Predictable, Alert, Assertive and Courteous

They also use the five layers of protection available.
    Layer 1: Control your bike
    Layer 2: Know and follow the rules of the road
    Layer 3: Ride in the smartest lane position
    Layer 4: Manage hazards skillfully
    Layer 5: Utilize passive protection.

Chris, Broussard, LA