Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FrameBuilderSource.com Update

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default FrameBuilderSource.com Update

I spent a good portion of last week and this past weekend on http://www.framebuildersource.com/

Much of it was ironing out bugs that were keeping builders from being able to log in properly, some security issues, a couple of tweaks, and getting the framebuilder map - FrameBuilderSource > Framebuilders - and the state/country view - FrameBuilderSource > Framebuilders There is also a simple search, and my next task is to get a more comprehensive search functionality up and running.

If you're a framebuilder - hobbyist, part-timer, professional, or full shop - please consider adding yourself to the database here FrameBuilderSource > Add Framebuilder Once your submission is approved (to keep out spammers, mostly, though I had one motorcycle builder that tried to add themselves), you'll receive login and password via email, and then you will have access to update your profile and add additional information. Obviously, the more builders that there are in the database, the better of a resource it will be.

If you have any questions, or run into any problems, please let me know!

Thanks,

Pete
    http://www.framebuildersource.com/ Webmaster
    Pete Ruckelshaus * Teacher, Fat Guy on a Bike * Collegeville, PA

pruckelshaus' flickr
    Framejig.wordpress.com effort to collect DIY framebuilding jig designs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: FrameBuilderSource.com Update

Hi Pete, great initiative.

A suggestion; can you make the listing appear on one long page rather than multiple pages?

Now that the list has gone multiple pages, it doesn't seem to be so user-friendly. It's hard to put things into perspective if that makes sense. Maybe I'll change my listing to "AAA Gellie Custom" so I'm on the first page : )

Ewen
    Ewen Gellie
    Melbourne Australia
    full-time framebuilder, Mechanical Engineer, (Bach. of Eng., University of Melbourne)
    [url]www.gelliecustombikeframes.com.au[/url]
    [URL="http://instagram.com/gellie_custom_bikes"]http://instagram.com/gellie_custom_bikes[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can, but there's a balance that needs to be met with too much information on a given page. I'll change it to 50 results per page and see if that helps.

Once I get search done (working on it now, it's not a small bit of work), I'm going to create a framebuilder-only (i.e. login is needed) section of the site that will include the ability to generate a printer-friendly directory of builders.

I've had a bunch of great feedback on the site so far (including yours, Ewen) that I would like to get feedback on from you all:

* Comment from a builder that wasn't comfortable having their email address on the site. I do take steps to ensure that the email address isn't "harvest-able", and as a consumer, I really hate it when I can't find an email address for a company that I want to contact.

* Thoughts on allowing builder-oriented (but not builders) businesses? i.e. companies such as Anvil, Sputnik, Fresh Frame, Nova Cycles, Henry James, various painters, powdercoaters, chromers, etc. that service the industry? There are already builders that "blur the lines", i.e. Strawberry and Bringheli, and I think for the purposes of a comprehensive directory, it would be good information to include.

As always, I'm looking for feedback from the group, and it is very much appreciated.

Finally, if anyone is interested in doing some design work for the site, please let me know.

Thanks,

Pete
    Pete Ruckelshaus * Teacher, Fat Guy on a Bike * Collegeville, PA

pruckelshaus' flickr
    Framejig.wordpress.com effort to collect DIY framebuilding jig designs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm all for allowing and in fact engouraging suppliers(tubes annd tools consumbales) and support (paint and powder, etc) folks.
    I suppose they should all be in my favorites already, but I'm sure there are folks out there that I don't know about that may have something I'm interested in giving them money for.