Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Just canned 2.5 gallons of beef stock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Just canned 2.5 gallons of beef stock

We bought a half a cow last winter (it was already dead! ; ) and had mostly soup shanks and neck bones left, all with tons of meat on them. I love onion soup and other dishes that use beef stock, so wanted to make a good batch for some 'special' meals over this winter. I looked at a bunch of different methods & recipes and decided to just go with the general approach most seemed to agree on. Started with between 10 and 15 pounds of meaty bones. Put them in a roasting pan with a tiny bit of olive oil to prevent sticking, salt and a little pepper, into a hot (480) oven. Gave them a head start of probably 15 minutes, then made up another roasting pan with a bunch (3 pounds?) of carrots cut into rough chunks and probably 8 large onions sliced in halves and quarters. A little oil, into the oven.

Roasted everything until browned and aromatic, turning the vegetables once or twice. At the same time, I started a HUGE stockpot on the stove with, again, a little olive oil, some carrot chunks, some onion halves, and a whole bunch of celery, leaves included, we picked from the garden. Sauteed this for a little while to soften everything up and get the liquids moving.

When the meat and veggies were well browned (45min +/-) I took them out, put all the meat and pan veggies into the stock pot on top of the sautéing veggies, then deglazed the pans with a bit of red wine (not too much) and dumped that mixture in (probably +/-1 cup of wine liquid with bit of veggie and meat).

Then I filled the pot to near full with cold tap water. As it turned out, +/- 2.5 gallons of the stuff. Probably 3, accounting for what cooked off. I then simmered on the lowest temp (you don't want a boil) overnight, probably 9 hours. In the morning, I skimmed off the foamy, nasty bits (byproduct of the gelatins) that had accumulated on the surface, then tonged out as many solids as I could get into another pan. Strained the liquid from that pan back into the stock pot; it wasn't a ton.

At this point I let the big stock pot cool for a few hours yesterday so I could handle/pour through a sieve without killing myself (3 gallons of boiling liquid is heavy/dangerous). Poured through a cheesecloth sieve into another large stockpot that just held the 2.5 gallons. Simmered that for a few hours just to lose a little liquid and concentrate the flavor a bit, then pressure canned 12 quart jars.

Came out really excellent; rich, brown color, deep beefy, complex flavor, versatile for reducing to sauces/glazes as well as being a base for soups & stews.

Learned:
    - You need a TON of meat/bones to make a large batch of stock. The last time I tried, I used too little it came out really thin and disappointing, with very little flavor. I don't think over flavoring stock is possible, but under flavoring sure is. So use a ton of meat. If you were buying at a butcher/supermarket you probably won't save any money vs. buying stock in a can/box, but the flavor will be better for sure, and it will have a lot less crap in it. (and less salt)
    - You need bones AND meat. I couldn't believe how much meat was on these neck bones and soup shanks. It felt kind of criminal to 'waste' all that meat on stock, but I now realize that is what helped the result be so delicious. The meat gives flavor; the bones mostly give up gelatin which gives body.
    - I added 2 whole cloves and a bunch (10?) of bay leaves. I don't taste clove when I taste the stock, but it has a lot of flavor, and I think the clove helps add something.
    - We've gotten much better about canning rather than freezing as our confidence level with the canner has increased. It really is much more efficient and cost-effective to can, and as long as you do it properly, you can virtually eliminate any safety concerns.

Anybody else have stock-making experience to share?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Just canned 2.5 gallons of beef stock

Veal stock in the big pot and Chicken stock in the smaller pot (yes those are chicken feet in the chicken stock). This is after going over night. I'll add the aromatics and let them go all day. Strain before bed tonight and refill the veal pot for the remoulage. Monday i'll combine the two Veal stocks and cook it all down down down. Use some for Monday dinner (Braised Beef Short-Ribs). I'll make some red wine/veal stock reduction and freeze the rest. Life is good when you have delicious homemade stock on hand. (the chicken feet add ridiculous body to chicken stock and make it set totally solid at fridge temp. The French Laundry Cookbook chicken stock calls for 1# feet to 5# bones. Never been able to find a calf's foot for the veal stock though.)
    "Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride"
    -H.S.T.

"Convenience can take over, it can be distracting, and it can make you lazy."
    -Grant Peterson

Adventures in Food and Eating

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nice feet!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HSTFixed View Post
    he French Laundry Cookbook chicken stock calls for 1# feet to 5# bones.
    Thanks for the tip! Yesterday I saved some grouse legs and thighs with feet attached for my next batch of stock. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.