Likes Likes:  0

Thread: White Beans

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default White Beans

This is the Justin Wilson recipe and I robbed this text from "Tennessee Slim" at another forum because that way i don't have to copy it out of the book or translate it from the vidyea.

I made this once for a group a guys who get together every 2 weeks to share food and spirits. I was a huge hit and I'm assisting (live too far away to be a core member) again this week, and everyone has requested another batch.

It goes a little like this:

This comes from the late, great Justin Wilson.

Title: White Beans with Rice and Andouille

INGREDIENTS:
    1 lb. white beans
    2 large yellow onions
    2 cloves garlic
    1 green hot pepper (or 1/2 tsp hot sauce)
    white wine or unsalted sauterne wine
    1/2 C olive oil
    1/4 lb. country ham pieces**
    2 lbs andouille or polska kielbasa
    salt
    water

Wash beans, pick over and put them in a glass bowl, add onion, garlic and pepper. Cover with 50-50 mix of water and white wine. Let soak overnight. Check periodically and keep covered by 1 inch of liquid.

Put olive oil in bottom of large, heavy pot. Add sausage and ham; heat. Add bean/wine mixture and, if needed, water. Bring to a boil. Reduce to slow simmer. Cook several hours until beans are tender. Add salt 1 hour before serving. Serve over steamed rice with hush puppies.

I usually let the beans soak 12 hours, then begin cooking them the following morning. I normally cook double the recipe; with that sheer volume it might take the better part of an hour to begin boiling. Once boiling I cover the pot, reduce the heat, and go off to work. In 8-10 hours away I've never known this to burn or, more importantly, to overcook. The longer it cooks down, the more concentrated (and robust) the flavors in the soup become.

** Country ham, also sometimes referred to as Virginia ham, is a southern delicacy. It is salt-cured, then hickory smoked. Its flavor is very distinctive and crucial to the true character of this dish. Don't be fooled by any sugar-cured imitator that calls itself by either name; any similarity between them and true country ham ended when it ceased being pig and started being pork.

Note that in some areas of the country these are called "Great Northern Beans". Southerners rarely put the words "great" and "northern" in such close proximity unless making reference to Canuckville-as in the "great white north"...see even there the words are divided somewhat.

When in Rome (GA), "White Beans" yo.

I gotta get my soak on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: White Beans

Iffin' you was to get fancy...one might try adding thyme, bay leaf, and more garlic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A true southerner soaks his beans and his feet in the same pot, this is a must.. It adds that little "extra", garlicky kick.

One of my favorite meals as of late.
    White beans (soaked and cooked per Wade Patton via Justin Wilson)
    Stewed tomatoes-with tons of fennel, oregano, garlic, onions
    Grilled chicken or pan seared (either way)

Cook beans till about 90% done
    add tomatoes, fennel, red pepper, white pepper, oregano, garlic and onions.
    Cook for another 35-40 minutes or so

Cook your protein, i have been using chicken, but thinking about some deer tenderloin

Simple:: meat down bean gravy on top

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sonnafabitch! me not you. I miss spoked a least little bit. I was just now able to lay hands on the book proper from which i snatched that recipe before and

well

it's the "simple" version. NOT the above _full meal deal_ version with Andouille et al meats. It has been a couple of years, but i did not quite recall the sausagie implications of the "long" recipe given above and only became certain of my error when i found the book.

but

that it fits the thread and I'm sure is wonderful, I now level and tell the rest of the whole truth of the White Beans what made me Famous in a small crowd:

from Justin Wilson's Easy Cookin'

4 cups dry white beans, washed real well
    1 cup chopped onions
    1 cup chopped bell peppers
    1 tablespoon chopped garlic
    2 teaspoons Liquid Smoke
    1 cup dried parsley
    2 cups dry white wine
    salt to taste

Put the beans and water to cover by 2 to 3 inches in a large bowl. Let them soak 8 hours or overnight if possible. Drain the beans.

Combine the beans, onions, peppers, garlic, Liquid Smoke, and parsley in a large pot, then add the wine and cold water to cover. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Cook over a low fire until beans mashed against the side of the pot are done. You may need to add more hot water before the beans finish cooking. Do not add salt until the beans are tender.
    notes: I know I omitted Liquid Smoke before as I had never owned any. I bought my first bottle recently. I rarely have access to parsley-expect it was omitted too. If a fellow wants to brown off some meat in olive oil as in the previous recipe-go nutz and show them recipes who is boss! The wine and the long soak are the real keys to this one atwo.

"8 to 10 servings"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    A true southerner ...
    don't make me rep you agin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YO!!! View Post
    Iffin' you was to get fancy...one might try adding thyme, bay leaf, and more garlic.
    anything to taste, nothing to chance.

ever see those bozos who pretend to be chefs and send food out without tasting it!!! ramsay rulz-he nails 'em on that every single time...and they wonder why the nightmare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't rep me again, i will get all giggly.. They make liquid smoke here in Algood, the plants about 1/2 mile from my shop. The owner just dropped off some today, along with our christmas gift... Six huge, freshly smoked and barbecued racks of delicious pork ribs. Now, thats christmas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    A true southerner soaks his beans and his feet in the same pot, this is a must..
    also this is fine and dandy until you get halfway 'round the mountain in wintertime (hence the footwear) and find that you have to stop, unlace, wrassle your boot off, and get a bean out of your sock.