Dear Guest, Please register or login. Content don't create itself! Thank you

User Tag List

Page 51 of 364 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 7261

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    It didn't take me long to put two and two together when "Cameron" showed up and started talking Volvos, and I doubt I'm the only one.

What makes this place interesting is that smart, creative people from all sorts of pursuits seem to come out of the woodwork and contribute in their own way. Thanks for chiming in!
    Ha -- I'm that see through, huh? Guess I didn't realize there were Volvo guys here, and moreover that they'd know who I am. The world proves small sometimes. Like I mentioned before, I mostly lurk and soak in as much as I can until I'm able to put forth positive contribution to a conversation. Glad to be here!

Quote Originally Posted by ned View Post
    I had an '04 V70R 6-speed that was possessed. Satan was hiding in there somewhere. The whole electrical system was screwed. It'd turn lights on and off by itself. The speedo would stop working. It'd initiate it's security system's disable mode and leave us stranded (until I learned to disconnect and reconnect the battery). My mechanic--a long time Volvo guy and thankfully a good friend--spent many uncharged hours trying to map all the faults.
    I've seen a couple with really odd issues like that. Starting to see issues with the CEM (central electronic module) units in these cars and it can cause a lot of really weird stuff to go haywire. Most recently dealing with an '04 V70R with over 200K miles where the module took a dump and it would just randomly freak out. Dash went dim, auto trans slammed out of gear into neutral and the whole car would go into limp mode until you shut it down, did a hard reset (disconnect battery wires and touch the cables together) and let it cool a little. Then it'd be perfect for a while and then bam, same thing. The CEM lives in the driver side footwell on top, and issues tend to correlate with heat -- as in module is dying already and interior heater or ambient heat causes it to flip out. Thankfully there is a great electronics outfit in Canada that rebuilds them instead of having to cough up the dealer price for new.

Out of curiosity, how many miles were on your R? Would the issues manifest more based on any certain condition like temperature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Out of curiosity, how many miles were on your R? Would the issues manifest more based on any certain condition like temperature?
    I don't remember mileage but around 60-80k. I bought the car from the original owner in the spring of '10. The car had lived its whole life in OH until I took it home to NC. Got rid of it in Aug that summer. So it was acting out during the summer. But western NC is not excessively hot and there were plenty of times when the CEM would freak with nigh time driving when temps were cooler. The issues seemed to be completely random or at least we never could determine a pattern. It was pretty clear to my mechanic that the CEM was fried. We weren't willing to gamble a few grand on a new CEM in a car that we (or at least my wife) didn't completely enjoy.

My wife and I both grew up in the back seats of Volvo wagons. We have a lot of nostalgia for the Swedish Box. We got the V70R after our son was born. Carry on the tradition. I know we had a rare experience but I'm pretty jaded and will take a lot of convincing to by another Volvo. So the search continues for an AWD wagon with manual trans, good seats/ergonomics, decent mpg, and responsive acceleration/braking/handling that can be found used with low miles for under $25k. Our '04 Audi Allroad is on the chopping block as soon as we find a suitable replacement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Pigeon View Post
    Hey congrats. Enjoy! I went the other way and have a BRZ.

If you are ever going to drive on snow or shitty stuff I think you made the right choice. The 'Toyobaru' twins come with skinny 215 Prius tires and love to kick out their tails.
    Plus on a track here I watched a WRX pull away pretty hard on the straights.

Mine reallly isn't all that Subaru-like, apart from the boxer engine. It's low/oversteering/nimble vs 'heavy'/understeering/powerful. The WRX and 86 (under all its different names) are all fun but very different cars. From the same factory.
    (I could elaborate but who's awake?)
    Weather conditions didn't really play into the decision. I spent many winters with a Miata as my only car and had no issues getting around with the right tires. It was more a question of utility and wanting to be able to drive around with the whole family (4 of us) in my car.

The Miata was with me for 12 years, so I had a good dose of the front engine, rear drive sports car. I owned a '88 Mazda 323 GTX (Mazda's Group A homologation car: AWD, turbocharged, intercooled, long-travel suspension, etc) for only a few years, so the "rally car" thing isn't out of my system yet.

Given the time, space, money, etc, I'd have both. The lust for the BRZ is still strong, in World Rally Blue pearl please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    If only I had seen this thing early enough to have been first in line. I'd of snatched it up instantly!

BaT Exclusive: 1-Family 19k-Mile 1971 Datsun 510 Sedan
    Crap, that thing was only miles from me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to look at a 1999 Lexus LX470 tomorrow...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to look at a 1999 Lexus LX470 tomorrow...
    I had a 2005 when I was in the US. Great car but get ready to put gas in this thing ! The mileage was horrible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    I had a 2005 when I was in the US. Great car but get ready to put gas in this thing ! The mileage was horrible.
    Yep. I'll be happy if I get 15 on the highway. Gonna go for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have the newer (2012, 2013?) Audi Allroad? Looks nice. Price isn't nice.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought (well sort of rented) one for our competitive fleet a few months ago. It's a very nice car and still rides and handles very well after being "Outbacked" all up. As has been lamented here before, it sucks that Americans won't buy a wagon, but if you lift the thing way up and put big heavy tires on it they're all in. Audi did a good job of finding some balance here.

The embedded google maps thing is cool, but some of the controls remain to be less than intuitive. Rotating a knob clockwise should move you forward in a menu. Not here. The volume knob as a tiny item on the lower console is still odd, but the A6 does it too.

These mega speed transmissions shift very quickly and smooth. The car is very quiet on the highway. Wind noise, tire pattern noise and engine noise are well subdued.

It's a very nice car, but is it worth the price? That's a tough one and its the biggest issue with the Allroad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    I test drove one a few times and seriously considered it. Once you're behind the wheel it's pretty much the same as driving an A4. That's not a complaint. I love the way our A4 drives...we just weren't able to get nearly as good a deal on the allroad, and then I found my truck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My riding buddy got one. He likes his Avant more. Says the Allroad rides like an suv!

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    My riding buddy got one. He likes his Avant more. Says the Allroad rides like an suv!

-Joe
    ooof. I'd take an RS6 Avant as well, I guess, if someone twisted my arm. Even in red.

Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tested and seriously considered an Allroad for my wife. She was coming from a GTI and thought the Allroad drove like a GTI limousine. (Intended as a compliment) Then we drove the new BMW 328xi sports wagon...no contest. Ours should be here in an agonizingly long 6-8weeks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TACSTS View Post
    Tested and seriously considered an Allroad for my wife. She was coming from a GTI and thought the Allroad drove like a GTI limousine. (Intended as a compliment) Then we drove the new BMW 328xi sports wagon...no contest. Ours should be here in an agonizingly long 6-8weeks!
    That's what I keep in the back of my mind. I like the way BMWs drive so much and with almost anything mid-level luxury/sport, feel like I'd be downgrading. I should just look for a 3 series sports wagon, but they are so rare around these parts.
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish they'd have just kept selling the standard A4 Avant. 10K for some body cladding? No thanks. I liked Audi when they sold weird shit like the first allroad, S6 Avant, RS6, etc. Now they've given up on wagons so they can avoid confusing moron Americans and just sell them the Q5 and Q7.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

confusing moron Americans and just sell them the Q5 and Q7.
    Hey, this sounds like me! I am easily confused.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just be prepared with your family stick figure decals for the rear windshield...and ballet and lax silhouettes...

lot's of em in my neck of the woods...ALWAYS driven by soccer moms...ALWAYS

and don't even think of actually takin it off road...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's hilarious. I test drive the Q7 and asked the sales person if it was worthy offroad. She laughed out loud "this car is too nice for that".

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    just be prepared with your family stick figure decals for the rear windshield...and ballet and lax silhouettes...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post

I was going to outfit mine w/ Zomie figures, a 0.0 Miles "I don't run" sticker, an Apple sticker, and some sort of dog silhouette.

I'm not even really concerned with AWD as the most off-road I get is parking on the swale next to the street. I just want a larger rear area w/ hatch to fit more stuff (stroller, gear, etc) and a dog back there and a sports car feel. I could just steal my wife's XC90, but I find it to be sluggish.
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not even really concerned with AWD as the most off-road I get is parking on the swale next to the street. I just want a larger rear area w/ hatch to fit more stuff (stroller, gear, etc) and a dog back there and a sports car feel. I could just steal my wife's XC90, but I find it to be sluggish.
    BS. Get the AWD and we'll go Everglades muddin'.