User Tag List

Thread: Squashing the Convergence

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Squashing the Convergence

I am just checking to see if this is jerky move or forcing a little safety. I drive home through the local park system and large old estates(20miles). When I see a cyclist coming up the other side of the road and a vehicle riding behind or looking to pass, I move towards the centerline or center of my lane to keep the other driver from passing at same time I pass the cyclist or runner. Is this jerky?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Squashing the Convergence

If I was the cyclist I would be nervous about the oncoming car behaving erratically and drifting towards the center. You might also force the passing car to squeeze the cyclist more closely. Personally, I just want cars to pass me in a predictable manner with as little fanfare as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not do it quickly or erratically. I just don't want all three of us occupying the same space at the same time. The cyclist loses out every time in that situation. It is just shut down the idea of quick pass between the the three of us. The roads are tight and everyone is in a hurry.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My experience with most situations is that if a driver percieves that there is enough room to squeeze through, they will try. I think perception can be skewed with regard to speed of both riders and the timing of the situation as well. When we are riding the center line we look like assholes to most drivers, which pisses them off and can lead to irrational and unpredictible moves. Same for long pacelines or large groups, which are often impossible to pass safely and effectively.

For your particular situation, I would be inclined to drift out enough so that I have a few feet of pavement as a buffer for myself, so that when the car comes round, I can drift back toward the shoulder to protect myself. Generally, the oncoming rider is on his/her own and is in a much better position to avoid collision with an erratic driver as they're coming head on with the car and I.

wait... are you in a car or on a bike? If you're in a car, I would wait it out and let the oncoming car pass as safely as possible... They're likely not as in tune with cyclists as you are and are probably much less patient with them. Let them get through safely and once they do, you make your move. I think blocking traffic might create a perception that the cyclists are at fault.

Edit: I think I missed the mark on your situation.

I dunno, I kind of agree that if I see an oncoming car drifting into my lane, I'd be concerned. If I were driving your car, I think I'd stay in my lane and be mindful of how the situation could unfold. You could always slow down and move as far right as you can, creating more space... If the other driver wants to come through, they may well come through either way. It's their responsibility to pass the cyclist safely.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I realize I need to clarify more. I am driving a car. The road is a two lane with little to no shoulder. I am not driving on or at the yellow line. It is just that sometimes when you and the opposing traffic are equal distance from the cyclist(500 feet as an example), they tend to speed up and make a quick pass. It sometimes causes me and sometimes the cyclist to dead stop. Driving wise, I have the right of way of way not being in a passing situation and the cyclist does in their lane simply by being in front of the upcoming car. There have always been cyclist using this route since it is a connector between two big parks. Car traffic has increased and does not appear to be adjusting to the other users.
    ps. I ride this road later in the day when there is less traffic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toddykins View Post
    If I was the cyclist I would be nervous about the oncoming car behaving erratically and drifting towards the center. You might also force the passing car to squeeze the cyclist more closely. Personally, I just want cars to pass me in a predictable manner with as little fanfare as possible.
    I agree with ToddyKins. I don't recommend trying to control another driver by adjusting your driving. There is always one bigger idiot out there who will try to squeeze and make a mess of things.

The reality, even if you are forced to slow down or stop for the other side passing, what is it costing? 5 or 10 seconds of your day. A small price to pay for the safety of a fellow rider.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. Just trying to get a look at the general consensus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would slow down or even pull over.
    the cyclist doesn't know you are a cyclist...
    tighter the squeeze the more nervous he will be.

the other driver will try to get by no matter cause it will save him 5 seconds on his drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makes sense. I just feel that you constantly have to compensate for others bad behavior and inconsideration. Kind of sucks any rosey view I may have on day to day people right out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I agree with ToddyKins. I don't recommend trying to control another driver by adjusting your driving. There is always one bigger idiot out there who will try to squeeze and make a mess of things.

The reality, even if you are forced to slow down or stop for the other side passing, what is it costing? 5 or 10 seconds of your day. A small price to pay for the safety of a fellow rider.
    Agreed. You can only control your own actions and you never know what the other two vehicles will do.
    T.o.m. K.o.h.l.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I'm on a bike and getting into this position, I will slide over towards the center of the lane to cut down on the room the car behind me has to pass to try and hold them until the oncoming car passes. When I see the oncoming car start to move over and drive on the fog line, or beyond, I cringe. It appears they are moving over to give the car behind me more room and it cancels out what I'm trying to do. I hate it. I appreciate it when oncoming cars hold their line and I don't think I'd mind it a bit if they crowed the center line. As long as they don't come over it.

In this situation, I'm more concerned about the car behind me, not the oncoming car. In fact, oncoming cars over the years have RARELY given me cause for concern. It's the ones behind that cause me trouble. Maybe I've been lucky.