Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: G Shock

I have mixed feelings about solar watches. I have two, a G-Shock and a Seiko diver, and not having to mess with batteries is nice, but on the other hand, finding just the right spot to keep them when they aren't on my wrist is a bit of a hassle. I've finally settled on a table in the kitchen that gets both morning and afternoon sun, and allows the G-Shock to receive the radio signal from Ft Collins CO. As long as the cats don't decide to play with them and knock them down, I suppose that will work.

Meanwhile, my cheapo Casio with a 10-yr battery is perfectly happy in a drawer, no special handling required.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

G-Shock Watches by Casio - Mens Watches - Digital Watches | Casio - G-Shock

I've had this for 10 years and it is tough. My other watches are all mechanical complications, so yes, watch nerds like g-shock.
    I rather have this than a breitling any day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found a GA100-1A1 middle of street while jogging around the soccer complex one night while my son was practicing. Been run over a few times. Initially put off by its hugeness, I find it light and seems to not get in way wearing it mountain biking and at work in construction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have two different ones, the first one is a solar atomic one like you've posted and it's ace. I put it in the window to get it to full power when I got it and it's never dropped out of that since. It goes to sleep in the dark to keep the battery good and is nukeproof. Yes the straps break after a while but that's it. The second one looks like the first but it's huge and I love it.
    All electronic equipment should be made by Casio and then the world really would be a better place. Don't see the point in megabuck automatics you have to look after.
    Lee James Jones
    Former 105 fan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I could change one thing related to the G-Shocks, it would be height - they are just so durn tall. A bit smaller in overall diameter would also help, but it's the height that gets me. Other than that (and the need for sunlight) I love mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    If I could change one thing related to the G-Shocks, it would be height - they are just so durn tall. A bit smaller in overall diameter would also help, but it's the height that gets me. Other than that (and the need for sunlight) I love mine.
    G-SHOCK is making smaller diameter Baby-Gs which are like small versions of some of the regular G-Shocks. The thickness doesn't change much. Maybe 1mm at most. The G-Shock needs the thickness because if has the watch module floating inside a layered casing which gives it the shock resistances. (basically floating inside a rubber ball) You can have a thinner watch, but then you just get a G no shock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    That's nuts that you had problems like that. I wouldn't give up on the fancy auto thing, unless you're JustinB since he seems to be the watch killer.
    Ha ha, while dropping off my wife's watch this time I noticed they had a couple Tudor Pelagos(es) on display that are the old ones (ETA movement). I of course have been daydreaming about chiseling them down on the price on one since I could claim that they are "old" and "not as good" as the newer ones with the in-house movement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    Ha ha, while dropping off my wife's watch this time I noticed they had a couple Tudor Pelagos(es) on display that are the old ones (ETA movement). I of course have been daydreaming about chiseling them down on the price on one since I could claim that they are "old" and "not as good" as the newer ones with the in-house movement.
    In some circles the "old" are more desirable, so your argument may fall flat on them. But that's a great watch either way, so you should do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    In some circles the "old" are more desirable, so your argument may fall flat on them. But that's a great watch either way, so you should do it.
    I'm kinda thinking that if they still have these in the counter the "old version is better" crowd (which I think I may be one of) hasn't been their customer base. Maybe wishful thinking . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I'll play!

I have only had my G-Shock for about 18 months but it has been rock solid and no need to even put it in the window to charge. I got this one, because it had tides on the front face which I liked the idea of and actually use when I get up in the AM to go rowing.

Casio G-Shock Digital Dial Black Resin Men's Watch GW79B-1CR - G-Shock - Casio - Watches - Jomashop

My one nit is that there should be a bit more contrast between the numbers and the black background.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    I have mixed feelings about solar watches. I have two, a G-Shock and a Seiko diver, and not having to mess with batteries is nice, but on the other hand, finding just the right spot to keep them when they aren't on my wrist is a bit of a hassle.
    I've got a solar seiko and two citizens and love them. I had to replace the battery/capacitor thing in the citizen diver after 20 yrs or so, and other than that, they've been trouble free. They really don't need a lot of light to stay charged -- Citizen says 1.5hrs of indoor light will keep it charged for the day. I just keep them on my night stand without problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    What Matthew said - I'd rather have one of the older "2 liners" over a newer one...someday.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DW-56E-1V | STANDARD DIGITAL | G-SHOCK | Timepieces | CASIO

I got one of these. It’s been good so far. I went with this style as it looks more like an original G Shock compared to some of the newer huge ones.

I’m not giving up on the mechanical watches but I think I need this to roll into daily use to offset some wear on my old Tudor Snowflake Sub, 94110.

But this G is making me want to get rid of my Seiko’s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SignatureJustin View Post
    DW-56E-1V | STANDARD DIGITAL | G-SHOCK | Timepieces | CASIO

I got one of these. It’s been good so far. I went with this style as it looks more like an original G Shock compared to some of the newer huge ones.

I’m not giving up on the mechanical watches but I think I need this to roll into daily use to offset some wear on my old Tudor Snowflake Sub, 94110.

But this G is making me want to get rid of my Seiko’s.
    Nice choice. That's the one I'd get, too. It will be a good partner to the Tudor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12