User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm going to need a car. I have no idea what I'm doing. Help me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I'm going to need a car. I have no idea what I'm doing. Help me?

I plead absolute ignorance on the subject of automobiles. I have a driver's license, and owned a Toyota Matrix for 3 years during college but hardly used it. I haven't driven in about 6 years and haven't given any thought to cars, until now...

as much as I'd love to continue to live a car-free life, my partner and I are relocating in the spring and will be living in a much more rural area. We're also looking at properties with 10+ acres with the expressed intent of expanding our current 1 acre that provides about 15-20% of our food into as much self-sufficiency as possible. This goes to say that we're going to need a car for purely utilitarian purposes; one can only haul so much manure, equipment, etc. on a cargo-bike, especially if we're 20+km from a major city.

So, would some kind soul weigh in on the following questions?

- Biodiesel vs. hybrid vs. full-electric? Oregon has a very robust biodiesel infrastructure. At the same time, green energy is not hard to come by so the issues that I have conceptually with hybrid/electric vehicles from an environmental standpoint are reduced. Leaving issues of carrying capacity and overall power to be the determining factors, there. Distance is a non-issue. We're not road-trip people. Don't suggest the new Tesla truck because I a) can't afford it and b) think it's fugly as fug.

- SUV vs. pickup vs. hatchback? or smaller car with a trailer? We are two people with very little social life (and no plans to change that), no kids (and no plans to change that), and a cat. In other words, I don't think we need a car with three rows of seats.

- Specific suggestions or brands with known issues? My BIL, who is a "car guy," warned us against subarus because they are apparently very expensive to fix if something goes wrong. I have no way to verify this, but similar intel or contradictory experience is welcome. We want to get a used, not new car, so repairs/upkeep is a deciding factor.

- What else am I not considering? My favorite car of all time was my late grandfather's 1970 F100. He had a small battery operated radio that would slide along the dash when he turned. The heat didn't work, and neither did the a/c. But it did everything he wanted it to and nothing more. This is what I want. I don't need a car with bells and whistles, I need a car that will haul sh*t around, deal with inclement weather, and not require too much of my attention.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide to a luddite car-noob like myself.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I'm going to need a car. I have no idea what I'm doing. Help me?

if you're going to be farming on 10+ acres and only want a single vehicle, get a pickup. a hatchback or SUV will be limiting even with a trailer.

full-electric trucks will be a thing in 2021+. Rivian is probably the brand to look at in this space (depending on what GM and Ford come out with) but they're also going to be expensive as heck. it's not *that* difficult to do an EV conversion but it's not something someone with minimal interest is going to pull off well.

hybrid trucks aren't really a thing and when someone does launch one it's going to be mild hybrid and not a plug-in.

bio-diesel generally means running an older truck that will hold up better to the fuel. it also means worse fuel economy and emissions. pick your poison there.

my recommendation: get the cheapest 10-ish year-old Ford or Chevy truck you can find. You probably want the stripped down models they sell to fleets. Look for body and frame rot. Drivetrains will last for 200,000 miles + and if something fails a cheap replacement is only a trip to the junkyard away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where are you moving to?
    What I am making now:7 sugars.
    Instagram: 7 sugars.

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.... Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic."
    — Jim Jarmusch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like you need a pickup and you’ll just have to be ok with a gas or diesel motor. I bought a 1997 Ford Ranger a few years ago for $1,800 and it’s fantastic: no power anything (including steering), two-wheel drive, parts are readily available and cheap, I don’t feel bad abusing it, and (knock on wood) it has shrugged off all of the abuse. The downside is that it’s not so good in precip (a few bags of gravel in the bed helps) - maybe 4WD and good tires would help in your situation. Anyway, it’s such a simple vehicle that allows me to do so much stuff that it’s really the only vehicle I’ve ever owned that I’ve really loved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    my recommendation: get the cheapest 10-ish year-old Ford or Chevy truck you can find. You probably want the stripped down models they sell to fleets. Look for body and frame rot. Drivetrains will last for 200,000 miles + and if something fails a cheap replacement is only a trip to the junkyard away.
    Yeah, this is where we are leaning. I've just spent so many years with negative thoughts about fuel consumption that I have a hard time having good thoughts about buying an inefficient vehicle. But that may be the way to go, especially since the usage will be utility, not recreation.

Quote Originally Posted by the bottle ride View Post
    Where are you moving to?
    Outside of Eugene, Oregon. We're currently checking out properties around Marcola, Junction City, and then south around Fall Creek and Dexter.

Quote Originally Posted by Der_kruscher View Post
    It sounds like you need a pickup and you’ll just have to be ok with a gas or diesel motor. I bought a 1997 Ford Ranger a few years ago for $1,800 and it’s fantastic: no power anything (including steering), two-wheel drive, parts are readily available and cheap, I don’t feel bad abusing it, and (knock on wood) it has shrugged off all of the abuse. The downside is that it’s not so good in precip (a few bags of gravel in the bed helps) - maybe 4WD and good tires would help in your situation. Anyway, it’s such a simple vehicle that allows me to do so much stuff that it’s really the only vehicle I’ve ever owned that I’ve really loved.
    I do like Fords. After all, it is in fact my middle name. We are definitely thinking 4-WD.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    Yeah, this is where we are leaning. I've just spent so many years with negative thoughts about fuel consumption that I have a hard time having good thoughts about buying an inefficient vehicle. But that may be the way to go, especially since the usage will be utility, not recreation.
    There's a lot less fuel consumption tied up in running a decade old beater than there is in a new vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would get a conventional gasoline engine. They give by far the best value, reliability and cost of maintenance. Generally, I find a 1-2 year old vehicle the sweet spot for value w/ the monimum pain in your ass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa- big move.
    I was hoping you were moving more inland from Marseille.

Oregon is amazing- that is a pretty dreamy place to move.
    What I am making now:7 sugars.
    Instagram: 7 sugars.

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.... Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic."
    — Jim Jarmusch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Find a used ford ranger, one from the 90’s...it’s fuel consumption is likely better than any new models of trucks/suvs if that’s on your mind. Other options are Nissan or even an old Datsun. I drove a ‘78 Datsun pickup in the 90’s and my 20 year old self couldn’t kill that thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vw golf caddy mk1
    datsun/nissan 720
    mazda b2000
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to Oregon (when you come)!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure of your budget and I'm a little bias...
    So my recommendation would be a Land Cruiser. Both 80 and 100 series can be had for good prices and reliable as they come.
    If power is not a huge concern, pre '94 Land Cruisers are cheap and not suspect of the headgasket failures had with '95-97 models.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost everything can be delivered. And a lot of it will be delivered for free. Most rural places within driving distance of larger towns will now be populated with city dwellers escaping the larger towns and so delivery has become part of the deal. Lumber, soil, gravel, trees, shrubs, water, etc.

Get a car you can afford to maintain & operate and will provide the dependable transportation that you currently don’t think you will need. Because you will need it. Moving from Europe you will be surprised how little value is produced from tax dollars in the shape of transit.

Toyota is probably the most dependable. Prius, Corolla, etc. maybe a Honda Fit.

It is enticing to think that you will need a truck. I know. I want one but adding up all the times I would have needed on over the past year I come up with zero. I do have a station wagon. That’s convenient, but only as far as opening the back and throwing things inside and then getting them out again. Otherwise a sedan or hatchback would be fine.

I wouldn’t recommend a used VW unless you want to become an electrical engineer. But a VW Golf is the right shape for the kind of incidental hauling you’ll likely due with anything that cannot be delivered. And they go wherever even with just FWD. Most small FWD very ably perform in situations TV would tell you to buy an expensive 4WD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Almost everything can be delivered. And a lot of it will be delivered for free. Most rural places within driving distance of larger towns will now be populated with city dwellers escaping the larger towns and so delivery has become part of the deal. Lumber, soil, gravel, trees, shrubs, water, etc.

...snip...

I wouldn’t recommend a used VW unless you want to become an electrical engineer. But a VW Golf is the right shape for the kind of incidental hauling you’ll likely due with anything that cannot be delivered. And they go wherever even with just FWD. Most small FWD very ably perform in situations TV would tell you to buy an expensive 4WD.
    Yes to delivery. Get yourself a small tractor/similar to move stuff around the "farm" or whatever it is you're planning on developing. Or a POS uninsured farm truck not licensed or road worthy other than being able to move shit (literally) around your property. And get yourself something really good on gas for getting to town etc. Your gas savings will pay for the farm truck in a couple of years.

Also, I agree on the comment about VW. I have no idea why they are so popular. I'm good friends with a VW mechanic. He drives a Mazda.

Toyota Corolla. Honda Civic. In Vancouver BC you can get a Corolla with 100,000 miles for about $1300US. Should be good for another 50,000 miles or more. Nice thing about the Pacific North West is most vehicles aren't suffering from rampant rust so older cars are worth looking at. 10-15 year old Toyotas and Hondas are great cars and can be had for the equivalent of three or four new car payments. There's a couple of high mileage Chevrolet Silverado trucks for sale locally for $500US. Perfect for a farm truck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Country life, country wife, you are going to need something to do chores. Cars are liabilities so I don't recommend more than 5k spent on one ever. The Ford Ranger suggestion was good. Having had vans and trucks over the years though, I hafta say, vans are what trucks wish they were when they grew up. Good bike haulers, good hardware store vehicles, good for families and friends too. Trucks are for people who prioritize the individual over the community. :) Vans GSD. They do it all. Have loved every van I've been in. Current is an 04 Econoline. No BS. I am 34yo, not some old crank/perv either. Loved my Sienna before that. Or get a Corolla and do everything a van does idk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a perfect car for someone who :
    - is not a car freak
    - privileges reliability and comfort over performance
    - wants something economical and easy to maintain which will last forever[1]
    - prefer driving something that attracts sympathy and is anti road rage.
    - live in the countryside
    - will probably miss France a little bit

[1] you could theorically still be able to build one from scratch with new parts as they are still produced.

And yes it can be found in the USA and no I am not joking. That car may look like a toy but it is marvelous as long as you don't care about outright performance.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 11-28-2019 at 05:30 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    There is a perfect car for someone who :
    - is not a car freak
    - privileges reliability and comfort over performance
    - wants something economical and easy to maintain which will last forever[1]
    - prefer driving something that attracts sympathy and is anti road rage.
    - live in the countryside
    - will probably miss France a little bit

[1] you could theorically still be able to build one from scratch with new parts as they are still produced.

And yes it can be found in the USA and no I am not joking. That car may look like a toy but it is marvelous as long as you don't care about outright performance.
    Not to mention James Bond drove one with deft skill and trade mark humour...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    ...snip... That car may look like a toy but it is marvelous as long as you don't care about outright performance.
    As long as you never, ever, crash. But then I doubt its safety performance is worse than a bicycle's...
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buy yourself a good van-they are cheaper, usually have the same motor and trans that trucks do.. but, they tend to be less expensive and you can do a shit load of work with them. Then spend $1000 of the $3k you’ve just saved on a trailer.

Vans are nice-if it rains, you are hauling stuff inside.. if you are to lazy to unload it-leave it in there.. too many beers at the local watering hole—take a nap. Lock your tools inside.. get a van, take a trip, do your work and live your life.
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd gen Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4 personally is shoot for 2010 - 2014), cab size suited to your needs.
    -Dustin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast