User Tag List

Page 126 of 355 FirstFirst ... 116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,520 of 7083

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Did they say anything about the manual Alltrack? I am thinking we're going to flip our TDi into one of those next year.

In the meantime, I am putting off car shopping for myself (commuter) out of general dread for the process. Buying a new car (to me) is easy. But looking for something decent around $5-7K is much more fraught and time consuming ATMO.
    VW says there will be a 2017 Golf Sportwagon 4Motion with manual transmission with 1" less clearance than the AllTrack, no plastic ding guards, and a slightly different set up on the all-wheel. The AllTrack's all-wheel has an added descending "off-road" mode, for whatever that's worth. The 4Motion will also only be available with the S trim. The AllTrack is available with S, SE, and SEL. A manual AllTrack will eventually be available. I think these models are all currently available in Europe, but VW just has to get production up and running in Mexico for the US market. That's my impression at least - could be wrong.

Edit: I was typing while Stuart was posting!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The SE is the sweet spot for me. You get the amazing sunroof and the manual transmission option.
    I'll fully admit that for my purposes choosing an Alltrack over the regular 4Motion is largely superficial, but at least it's really only a little bit of side cladding as opposed to buying an expedition worthy SUV that's been neutered into a bloatwagon which is what most folks do to demonstrate their own ruggedness.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only wish that VW had the 6 MT in the Sportwagen instead of the very outdated 5MT
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are leaning towards an automatic simply because no trip out of NYC escapes a traffic jam of some sort, and the constant operation of clutch/brake/gas in bumper to bumper driving gets aggravating on my right hip. Also my wife doesn't drive stick proficiently enough in that kind of traffic to feel comfortable driving, and that's tough on me also because that means I do all the driving. BUT I am leery of automatics performance-wise - they always seem to sag/lag at the wrong moment - and I prefer a manual transmission.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of VW, my dad's '79 Beetle is on the block. Less than 3,000 miles.
    29-Mile 1979 Volkswagen Beetle Epilogue Edition | Bring a Trailer

IMG_2357-e1475174170477-620x363.jpg
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    We are leaning towards an automatic simply because no trip out of NYC escapes a traffic jam of some sort, and the constant operation of clutch/brake/gas in bumper to bumper driving gets aggravating on my right hip. Also my wife doesn't drive stick proficiently enough in that kind of traffic to feel comfortable driving, and that's tough on me also because that means I do all the driving. BUT I am leery of automatics performance-wise - they always seem to sag/lag at the wrong moment - and I prefer a manual transmission.
    I believe that the all track will have the DSG and not the triptronic transmission
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
    I only wish that VW had the 6 MT in the Sportwagen instead of the very outdated 5MT
    this was one of the selling features of the sportwagen tdi, imho. So disappointing that they don't put the 6sp manual in all models.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is going to buy this? I vote Todd Holland.

217 Nissan Rouge Warrior Can Survive A ‘Snowpocalypse’ – NSEAVoice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
    I believe that the all track will have the DSG and not the triptronic transmission
    6-speed DSG with Tiptronic according to the spec sheet. I assume that means you can drive the car in full automatic or paddle shift when you need to use the engine for cornering/climbing using Tiptronic, but that's still different than just having an standard automatic transmission with Tiptronic, because the DSG should reduce the lag due to the staggered gearing on the dual clutch system. Should - that's the operative word.

Speaking of torque, that's one thing I really like about the VW diesel. That car can scoot and get up to highway speeds quick. Once you are up to speed, you have to keep it there - it isn't like cruising in a BMW 7 series - but from 0-55mph, it goes. Comes in handy while dodging taxis and Ubers.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Living in NYC really does take the fun out of driving.

It is funny, every time I cross the GWB back into NYC whether in a car or on a bike I always think (happily) to myself - "I survived".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    That might require some precip in the 413.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Started seeing commercials for this thing and I'm getting excited about the upcoming TDI swap. The red and the white both look nice.

my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt, those Golf Alltracks look great. Far more sensible than an SUV in my opinion. I looked at one recently when I was somewhat spontaneously purchasing a new Golf R. Now, I own 2 VWs but hopefully only for a short period of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw an Alltrack in person in (of all places) Kyoto, Japan while on vacation last week. Nice looking car for sure. The 18" wheels and slight lift surprisingly make it look like an entirely different model, not just a lifted sport wagon with anti-ding plates stuck on. My wife saw it too and did not throw up, so that's a hopeful sign. Tough to buy a car when you are two people, one of whom sees all their visceral reactions as rational. Dealerships are starting to get them in, and our local dealer has a dark gray SEL with black interior and the offer that they'll order anything we want, so I think that's our Saturday this week.

Meanwhile the trusty old TDI has been sitting in the garage for nearly 3 weeks, and I am just hoping the battery isn't dead. I've solved everything mechano-electric with that car except the tendency to drain batteries if un-driven for more than 2 weeks.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw an Alltrack in person in (of all places) Kyoto, Japan while on vacation last week. Nice looking car for sure. The 18" wheels and slight lift surprisingly make it look like an entirely different model, not just a lifted sport wagon with anti-ding plates stuck on. My wife saw it too and did not throw up, so that's a hopeful sign. Tough to buy a car when you are two people, one of whom sees all their visceral reactions as rational. Dealerships are starting to get them in, and our local dealer has a dark gray SEL with black interior and the offer that they'll order anything we want, so I think that's our Saturday this week.

Meanwhile the trusty old TDI has been sitting in the garage for nearly 3 weeks, and I am just hoping the battery isn't dead. I've solved everything mechano-electric with that car except the tendency to drain batteries if un-driven for more than 2 weeks.
    My 2001 VW Golf TLS 1.8T was a battery drainer. Actually - the 8 disc changer installed into the hatch was a battery drainer. I unplugged that puppy and my battery never died again, at least for 11 years it didn't.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw an Alltrack in person in (of all places) Kyoto, Japan
    I was in Kyoto with my family in August. I want to go back. But on topic ... full-size cars look so weird there. A young guy in a new Camaro could barely make it down a side street. And now I want a Honda Acty mini truck.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm the furthest thing away from a car guy, but damn, these things make me tingly:

My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm digging on that new Golf R. It seems like a good evolution of the Sportwagen, and would fit my purposes pretty well (dog, gear, forest roads).

The body armor is smart. I have a couple paint pens next to me for use in covering up the scrapes in the rocker panels of my Sportwagen when I have it up on stands to get the snow tires on this weekend.

Does anyone know if the new Golf R has skid plates? The current Sportwagen is really low, and even a couple inches higher an oil pan skid would be some good peace of mind.

My one beef is those 18" wheels are idiotic if you're actually going to start driving on forest roads. They'd be toast in six months, if that. Even with 16" wheels on my Sportwagen, I've trashed three. There isn't enough sidewall to absorb the rocks and holes, and the rims dent.

Any ideas on what they should be replaced with? I'm thinking of some VW steelies, since then at least my tire guy can press the dents out and put them back into service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I'm digging on that new Golf R. It seems like a good evolution of the Sportwagen, and would fit my purposes pretty well (dog, gear, forest roads).
    Caleb, if you do pull the trigger on the R, let me know. Can't help you with the wheels/tires (but I'm fairly certain it fits 17s - and TireRack confirms this), but still have many spares that need a home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I'm thinking of some VW steelies
    Steelies? Taller sidewalls? Good ideas both! Maybe you should drive an old truck.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast