User Tag List

Page 128 of 362 FirstFirst ... 118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,560 of 7239

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    Geesh, so sensitive. My point was that the (R?)S7 you pictured is a $80 - $120k car. Beautiful and amazing to drive no doubt, but having just spent in the same range for a complete kitchen and family room remodel myself and with two young kids, I can't imagine spending that kind of money on a rapidly depreciating purchase like an automobile. I've been thinking about a new car recently (currently a one car household) which is why your post prompted a reply. I wasn't aiming at you in particular and yes, I'd say the same about any of the very nice $50k+ automobiles mentioned in previous posts. Give me reliable, low cost of ownership. I'd definitely sign up for a Mazda 3 or GTI but at 6'1", most of the compact hatchbacks (even the CX5 and Civic) don't leave much room for the kids behind me. That's why I want your TSX wagon :) or my 1995 Audi S6 back.
    Sensitive? Only when your posts target me.

The car, to return to the topic of this thread, is an Audi A5 Sportback. C&D estimates it will start around $45k, the same ballpark as the A4, A4 Allroad, and a boatload of other 'entry-level luxury' models.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Sensitive? Only when your posts target me.

The car, to return to the topic of this thread, is an Audi A5 Sportback. C&D estimates it will start around $45k, the same ballpark as the A4, A4 Allroad, and a boatload of other 'entry-level luxury' models.
    Very nice. Your photo is the S version, which is surprisingly only $10k more at $55k 218 Audi S5 Sportback First Drive – Review – Car and Driver.

I see a healthy number of BMW GT's around which I think is their version of a 3 or 5 series hatchback.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice. Your photo is the S version, which is surprisingly only $10k more at $55k 218 Audi S5 Sportback First Drive – Review – Car and Driver.

I see a healthy number of BMW GT's around which I think is their version of a 3 or 5 series hatchback.
    Both BMW and Audi are spinning off multiple models from a single platform. At this 'level' for Audi it's the A4, the Allroad and the A5. BMW is making the 3-series sedan & wagon, the 3 GT, and the 4-series.

For fun, I spec'ed out a comparably-equipped 330ix sedan, 330ix wagon, 330ix GT and 430ix Gran Coupe. The sedan is the cheapest, and the wagon $1,100 more. The GT adds $400 to the wagon, and the Gran Coupe another $150. I'd definitely pay the premium for the wagon. And stretching another $550 for the beautiful Gran Coupe seems reasonable. The GT looks like an awkward half-SUV and leaves me cold.

Once the A5 Sportback is available I can run the same fantasy numbers for the Audi cluster.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both BMW and Audi are spinning off multiple models from a single platform. At this 'level' for Audi it's the A4, the Allroad and the A5. BMW is making the 3-series sedan & wagon, the 3 GT, and the 4-series.

For fun, I spec'ed out a comparably-equipped 330ix sedan, 330ix wagon, 330ix GT and 430ix Gran Coupe. The sedan is the cheapest, and the wagon $1,100 more. The GT adds $400 to the wagon, and the Gran Coupe another $150. I'd definitely pay the premium for the wagon. And stretching another $550 for the beautiful Gran Coupe seems reasonable. The GT looks like an awkward half-SUV and leaves me cold.

Once the A5 Sportback is available I can run the same fantasy numbers for the Audi cluster.
    I'm not a BMW fan in general, but the 4-series Gran Coupe is just gorgeous. If they made an M4 version I'd consider breaking my no cars over $35K rule.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd definitely sign up for a Mazda 3 or GTI but at 6'1", most of the compact hatchbacks (even the CX5 and Civic) don't leave much room for the kids behind me.
    How tall are you kids?

I'm one inch taller, own a GTI, and have yet to hear complaints from my daughter about the backseat space.
    I myself can sit in the back without complaining (too much).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
    I believe that the all track will have the DSG and not the triptronic transmission
    The DSG is great. I'm so happy I took it and not manual: just as fast shifts, but much less annoying when stuck in traffic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the dsg in my r32 made me want to jump off a bridge. it made a fun car boring and dumb. i think these dsg transmissions can make sense in super high horsepower cars that have a torque band that is everywhere. it's awesome in something like a ferrari for example or even in the Challenger Scat Pack I test drove before I ordered the 6speed manual- but it anything like a bimmer turbo six or a volkswagon engine- it's going to make the car dumb, boring and plain feeling.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I drove an Alfa Romeo Giulietta with DSG and paddle shifters, and that was great to drive around in the Appennines on twisty turny Italian roads. A manual shift might have been even more fun, but once I got coordinated about it and figured out the timing of the shift, it was as close to manual as I have driven in an automatic. And I hear the current iteration of the DSG is supposed to much smoother in the VW. AFAIK Triptronic and DSG are not mutually exclusive systems. You can have Triptronic shifting on a DSG transmission and either shift with the stick or with paddle shifters. That's the set up that the AllTrack is supposed to have. And I think the GTI automatics??

If you don't have to escape from an urban center like NYC every time you want to see the clear blue sky, a manual shift is the way to go. But if you do, then an hour of stop and go at the start of every excursion will kill any fun pretty quickly.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The BMW range (and Merc and Audi) is just getting silly - so many variants and niche's within niches. But this can play to your advantage... I've had a 330d GT M Sport for just over a year now, I originally wanted a 3 series wagon (called 'Touring' in the UK) as I have a dog, but saw the offers on the GT at the time and thought it was a mistake. Apparently its because its not a big seller since the 4 series came out, and thus had great deals on lease plans. Its bigger than a 5 series for rear space and has slightly more luggage capacity than a 3 series Touring. I agree the standard GT looks awkward as they hitched the ride height up, but the M Sport brings it back down again! It has quite a high waistline, but not relative to many vehicles out there these days. Its also a torque monster and as fast in non-track driving as any sports car I've driven. In fact the 335d was only another £10 a month, but insurance and fuel were much worse.

IMG_2120.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    the dsg in my r32 made me want to jump off a bridge. it made a fun car boring and dumb. i think these dsg transmissions can make sense in super high horsepower cars that have a torque band that is everywhere
    By default, VW programs the DSG to stay in low RPMs to save fuel.

There's a sports [sic] mode, and tiptronic, for when you want to enjoy the car; but unlike an automatic gearbox, the DSG actually responds fast, so I don't miss not having a real stick.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I drove an Alfa Romeo Giulietta with DSG and paddle shifters
    Alfas and Fiats has TCT, which is dry clutch; some of the DSGs have wet clutches. They feel a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    If you don't have to escape from an urban center like NYC every time you want to see the clear blue sky, a manual shift is the way to go. But if you do, then an hour of stop and go at the start of every excursion will kill any fun pretty quickly.
    That's why I picked the GTI over the Fiesta RS (which is also a fun hatch). The latter was cheaper, but irritating when standing in traffic or when needing to pack it full of cargo.
    The GTI is a sensible car, without throwing fun down the drain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snotrockets View Post
    The DSG is great. I'm so happy I took it and not manual: just as fast shifts, but much less annoying when stuck in traffic.
    I will take a closer look at the GTI. I'm looking for a second car, primarily driving alone for business trips but also with the family when there is not significant cargo or plans to obtain cargo (shopping) involved. Maybe the GTI with a sea sucker rack just in case my bike needs to come along.

BTW, current second car is a 1983 944 without power steering, heat, or cruise control. It's the perfect car on a sunny 50+ degree day when there are no stops between the start and end point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
    The BMW range (and Merc and Audi) is just getting silly - so many variants and niche's within niches. But this can play to your advantage... I've had a 330d GT M Sport for just over a year now, I originally wanted a 3 series wagon (called 'Touring' in the UK) as I have a dog, but saw the offers on the GT at the time and thought it was a mistake. Apparently its because its not a big seller since the 4 series came out, and thus had great deals on lease plans. Its bigger than a 5 series for rear space and has slightly more luggage capacity than a 3 series Touring. I agree the standard GT looks awkward as they hitched the ride height up, but the M Sport brings it back down again! It has quite a high waistline, but not relative to many vehicles out there these days. Its also a torque monster and as fast in non-track driving as any sports car I've driven. In fact the 335d was only another £10 a month, but insurance and fuel were much worse.
    I agree, it looks nice in M spec!

I priced them out the way I'd configure them, US market. Very basic, just heated seats & leather (and in the case of the 330ix sedan, a moonroof and 18" wheels that are standard on the other models).

330ix sedan.jpg330ix wagon.jpg330ix GT.jpg430ix Gran Coupe.jpg

It was an interesting exercise! I think I'd probably get the wagon. Cuz wagons rule.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spotted in the airport parking lot today and I don't quite know what to say.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can help RW. Needs large Liberace candelabras and a Lincoln spare tire conversion for the full monte. Too soon?

The frickin' things are a trainwreck. Performance aside, they are blistering, it's just the most awful vette ever and I'll never get used to them...coming from someone who said the same thing about DA cranks when they (cough) changed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I can help RW. Needs large Liberace candelabras and a Lincoln spare tire conversion for the full monte. Too soon?

The frickin' things are a trainwreck. Performance aside, they are blistering, it's just the most awful vette ever and I'll never get used to them...coming from someone who said the same thing about DA cranks when they (cough) changed.
    Trump's 'Vette?

I was thinking this just the other day when I saw one. They're hideous and look like something a teenager would draw on his notebook while bored in class if that still happened, which I don't think it does because teenagers don't seem to drive anymore.

Too many angles, edges and conflicting surfaces. And that paint is felonious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My TDI docs have been submitted for approval.
    Plan is still probably the Alltrack with stick, but mine eyes have been wandering to the BMW 2-series in AWD. Problem is that AWD = auto transmission. Would that still be fun?
    The only automatic my wife or I have ever owned has been the minivan.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Trump's 'Vette?

I was thinking this just the other day when I saw one. They're hideous and look like something a teenager would draw on his notebook while bored in class if that still happened, which I don't think it does because teenagers don't seem to drive anymore.

Too many angles, edges and conflicting surfaces. And that paint is felonious.
    Where's the button to turn it back into a robot?
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    the dsg in my r32 made me want to jump off a bridge. it made a fun car boring and dumb. i think these dsg transmissions can make sense in super high horsepower cars that have a torque band that is everywhere. it's awesome in something like a ferrari for example or even in the Challenger Scat Pack I test drove before I ordered the 6speed manual- but it anything like a bimmer turbo six or a volkswagon engine- it's going to make the car dumb, boring and plain feeling.
    I have an A3 3.2L, which is theoretically mechanically identical to the R32. What's weird is that I drove a friend's R32 a few years ago and its DSG was distinctly more sluggish and recalcitrant than the one in my car. I wonder if there's 2 versions of the DSG software floating around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    My TDI docs have been submitted for approval.
    Plan is still probably the Alltrack with stick, but mine eyes have been wandering to the BMW 2-series in AWD. Problem is that AWD = auto transmission. Would that still be fun?
    The only automatic my wife or I have ever owned has been the minivan.
    You should get the Golf R with a stick (although honestly I prefer the dual clutch in that car) and then send a freight truck here to snag the free pallet of Golf R spares I have taking up space!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone needs a truck. Just got this to replace my 2011 F150 supercab mainly for hauling long-legged kids around. The back seat legroom is limo-like even behind my seat at 6'3". It's posh for a truck (IMO) but still only about mid-level in Ford's lineup. I can't wrap my brain around some of the 65-70k trucks out there. I love it. Perfect stablemate for my WRX daily driver. image.jpg