Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    If you just have to have a Tudor why get a black face when blue is the more stylish color for watch faces?

Tudors also cost between $250 to $1,000, depending on model, just to have them serviced every two years, however, if you can afford a Tudor you probably don't have a problem paying to get it serviced, but at least it's cheaper than a Rolex to get serviced!

The other problem with watches like the Tudor is that it's trying to be a copy of the Rolex, as do a bunch of other makers, and people know that. If I wanted a diving-look watch I would get the Tissot SeaStar 1000, or the Seiko Turtle, they cost between $150 to $250 to service.

I'm not saying that the Tudor is a bad watch, but like the Rolex and a few others, they are way overpriced, and the service prices are insane.

There are also a few microbrands that make very nice watches like the Eza Sealander, they have different cases and face colors, but the most striking one is the bronze case with a blue face and bezel, and you have a choice of several different bands. The Eza is timed in 6 different positions and reportedly is accurate to within 30 seconds a month; but the Seiko models have a brighter longer-lasting lume, accuracy I'm not sure how the better ones run.
    None of us need more than a $50 Casio or Timex especially since most of us have a smartphone in our pocket that tells time so all of this is academic anyway.

Watch dial/case/etc. colors and/or style is a personal opinion. And (almost) every manufacturer is trying to look like a Rolex Submariner. The difference is that at least Tudor is owed by Rolex, used to use Rolex parts to build its watches, and current models are trying to "homage" vintage Rolex and Tudor watches rather than copy new models.

Overpriced service is a personal opinion. A Sinn (or similar brand) can cost almost as much to fix as a Rolex or Tudor. The Rolex/Tudor parts may be more expensive than the Selita parts inside a Sinn but the watchmakers time costs the same no matter what movement they are repairing/servicing. As such, I am not sure it is "insane" because there are so few watchmakers left they can command almost any price they want. See video below and start at 5 minutes (and I have experienced similar servicing costs on my Oris with a Selita movement). On a Hamilton I had serviced recently, that had the same reversing gear issue as my Oris, Hamilton just replaced the movement rather than repair it under warranty; again, it was the cheaper option for them.

Basic Seiko/Selita movements should never get repaired/serviced, they should just be replaced because it is less expensive.

I believe Tudor now suggests a service every 5 years and Rolex moved to a service every 10 year model several years ago (lubricants are getting much better). From what I have heard, now that Tudor is making "in-house" movements, in many instances they just replace a movement rather than service it. Especially with the "silicone hairsprings" which may not last as long as metal ones, replacement is often the cheaper option in (or out of) warranty. It is unfortunate that we live in a throw away world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    If you just have to have a Tudor why get a black face when blue is the more stylish color for watch faces?

Tudors also cost between $250 to $1,000, depending on model, just to have them serviced every two years, however, if you can afford a Tudor you probably don't have a problem paying to get it serviced, but at least it's cheaper than a Rolex to get serviced!

The other problem with watches like the Tudor is that it's trying to be a copy of the Rolex, as do a bunch of other makers, and people know that. If I wanted a diving-look watch I would get the Tissot SeaStar 1000, or the Seiko Turtle, they cost between $150 to $250 to service.

I'm not saying that the Tudor is a bad watch, but like the Rolex and a few others, they are way overpriced, and the service prices are insane.

There are also a few microbrands that make very nice watches like the Eza Sealander, they have different cases and face colors, but the most striking one is the bronze case with a blue face and bezel, and you have a choice of several different bands. The Eza is timed in 6 different positions and reportedly is accurate to within 30 seconds a month; but the Seiko models have a brighter longer-lasting lume, accuracy I'm not sure how the better ones run.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    None of us need more than a $50 Casio or Timex especially since most of us have a smartphone in our pocket that tells time so all of this is academic anyway.

Watch dial/case/etc. colors and/or style is a personal opinion. And (almost) every manufacturer is trying to look like a Rolex Submariner. The difference is that at least Tudor is owed by Rolex, used to use Rolex parts to build its watches, and current models are trying to "homage" vintage Rolex and Tudor watches rather than copy new models.

Overpriced service is a personal opinion. A Sinn (or similar brand) can cost almost as much to fix as a Rolex or Tudor. The Rolex/Tudor parts may be more expensive than the Selita parts inside a Sinn but the watchmakers time costs the same no matter what movement they are repairing/servicing. As such, I am not sure it is "insane" because there are so few watchmakers left they can command almost any price they want. See video below and start at 5 minutes (and I have experienced similar servicing costs on my Oris with a Selita movement). On a Hamilton I had serviced recently, that had the same reversing gear issue as my Oris, Hamilton just replaced the movement rather than repair it under warranty; again, it was the cheaper option for them.

Basic Seiko/Selita movements should never get repaired/serviced, they should just be replaced because it is less expensive.

I believe Tudor now suggests a service every 5 years and Rolex moved to a service every 10 year model several years ago (lubricants are getting much better). From what I have heard, now that Tudor is making "in-house" movements, in many instances they just replace a movement rather than service it. Especially with the "silicone hairsprings" which may not last as long as metal ones, replacement is often the cheaper option in (or out of) warranty. It is unfortunate that we live in a throw away world.
    I don't know where some of this information is coming from but I'd suggest finding a new source. The service interval will somewhat depend on the specific model as they don't all use the same movement. For the last 4 or 5 years their watches come with a 5 year guarantee. That's not the service interval. That's the warranty. In practice the service interval is closer to 7-10 years depending on how the watch is performing. I have a 2012 Heritage Black Bay (burgundy bezel) that runs perfectly and has never been serviced. Once serviced a Tudor then carries an additional 2 year service guarantee. That doesn't mean you have to get it serviced again in 2 years. It's a warranty on the service for 2 years. And while I'm sure they've replaced a movement when necessary, this is not standard practice and wouldn't make sense for them given the price of service versus the cost of a movement, particularly an in-house movement (though even the ETA movements they used were modified and more expensive than the service cost). This information is available on directly on their website, FWIW.

To say that Tudor is trying to be a copy of Rolex is to ignore both the fact that Rolex makes Tudor and the fact that they have a long storied history of making "submariner" watches that is almost as long as Rolex's. I don't like how many brands copy the formula but Tudor shouldn't be lumped in with the rest of the lot. Their history and Rolex's history are one in the same (https://teddybaldassarre.com/blogs/w...udor-black-bay).

And everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion about what watches are or are not overpriced. Personally, and fully admitting my bias, I think Rolexes are expensive but worth it given the build quality relative to other watches in the price range. If you're only buying a watch for the design, there are cheaper ways to get similar looking watches. If you're buying a watch for the build quality, Rolex is deserving of the high price. One of the easiest ways to compare is to feel a Rolex clasp and bracelet next to most anything else on the market. Very few come close. Tudor on the other hand is a bargain. The build quality is very, very high at a much lower price point. So, yes, they're not cheap but they are a good value as much as any luxury watch can be. If all you want is to tell the time, Casio makes a great watch. But if we're comparing watch brands on the merits of their build quality vs. their cost, Tudor ranks very high compared to the rest of the luxury brands.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I don't know where some of this information is coming from but I'd suggest finding a new source.
    By golly, it sounds like you've got some experience here.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    By golly, it sounds like you've got some experience here.
    Only through marriage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Only through marriage.
    Ha ha. You do have insider information.

I have owned 5 Rolex watches and currently have 1 of them. I have owned 2 Tudor watches and still currently have 2 of them.*
    Both are fantastic brands that make great watches even considering the premium cost.

Many years ago (circa 1994) I was told by the Rolex Service Center in NYC that a watch should be serviced every 5 years (when I only had one that was a daily wear). More recently (circa 2019), I was told by RSC-NYC a Rolex (or Tudor) watch should be serviced every 10 years "because the oils are better than they used to be as well as the tolerances of the manufactured parts in the movement." I was also told, "It also depends on how much you wear the watch" and "If you do not wear it on a regular basis you should give it a full wind at least once a month".

YMMV.

* The fact that I have sold a few of my Rolex watches has nothing to do with my love for the brand and their timepieces. Unfortunately, they (and many other brands watches) have made people targets of crime even in the little neck of the woods where I live known as the Upper East Side of Manhattan/NYC (I am a frequent user of the subway to all parts of NYC). I no longer think it is worth the risk to wear an expensive (and popular amongst thieves) watch for my urban lifestyle. I kept one because it has sentimental value and I wear it to family/friend occasions in personal residences/offices but never to something like a public bar and/or restaurant especially if I need to get there by public transportation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post

Look at Scrooge McDuck here with his $50 watch!

Asked my wife for something for my birthday and got this. 10 year battery!

I enjoy looking at some of these things (and that left handed Rolex is extremely cool) but I only really want a watch for walking the dog - the rest of the time I'm surrounded by screens and don't need one.
    It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So my grandparents moved into an assisted living home recently and once they had all the stuff they wanted to keep the rest of the family got to go through their other stuff to see if we wanted anything before the house was cleaned out and put up for sale. I found this old Bulova, which I have quickly fallen in love with. Doing a bit of research it's a 1973 Sea King GL, is gold plated, and it is hand wound. I assumed it was a fairly cheap quartz watch, so when I got it home I opened the caseback I was very happily surprised to find a mechanical movement inside.

It was wound all the way to the max. I found a video on how to unwind the mainspring which I did - nice and slow, and now it will wind, but it doesn't run. You can set the time, and date clicks over, it just doesn't run.

So I've got a few questions:

1 - I need a watchmaker. Anyone you guys recommend?

2 - For anyone familiar with watches from this era, the date rolls over around 4am, not midnight. Is that common?

3 - I need a strap! I'd like to get a thin vintage looking leather strap, any recommendations? The clearance between the spring bars and the case is tight so it need to be thin in that area as well. Lug width is 18mm.

Watch measures 34.6mm wide, 40mm lug to lug, and 9.7mm thick including the crystal.

The lume on the hands and the little dots just outside the hour markers still glows too. I found it in a nightstand, only God knows how long it had been sitting there.

It goes without saying, I don't want to sell it, this is a keeper. I want to get it running so I can wear it. I don't have anything remotely like this in my collection.

It's so little!

I also grabbed this pocket watch, which was my grandpa's dad's (that's my great-grandfather), so I now have two of my great grandfathers pocket watches. I also got a telescope from these guys (that I have no idea how to use!) and a handmade dulcimer, and some novelty money.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    So my grandparents moved into an assisted living home recently and once they had all the stuff they wanted to keep the rest of the family got to go through their other stuff to see if we wanted anything before the house was cleaned out and put up for sale. I found this old Bulova, which I have quickly fallen in love with. Doing a bit of research it's a 1973 Sea King GL, is gold plated, and it is hand wound. I assumed it was a fairly cheap quartz watch, so when I got it home I opened the caseback I was very happily surprised to find a mechanical movement inside.

It was wound all the way to the max. I found a video on how to unwind the mainspring which I did - nice and slow, and now it will wind, but it doesn't run. You can set the time, and date clicks over, it just doesn't run.

So I've got a few questions:

1 - I need a watchmaker. Anyone you guys recommend?

2 - For anyone familiar with watches from this era, the date rolls over around 4am, not midnight. Is that common?

3 - I need a strap! I'd like to get a thin vintage looking leather strap, any recommendations? The clearance between the spring bars and the case is tight so it need to be thin in that area as well. Lug width is 18mm.

I also grabbed this pocket watch, which was my grandpa's dad's (that's my great-grandfather), so I now have two of my great grandfathers pocket watches. I also got a telescope from these guys (that I have no idea how to use!) and a handmade dulcimer, and some novelty money.
    1) Neither is cheap but both are good... Grand Central Watch*, RGM Watches
    * My brother has had good success with GCW for vintage Tissot/Oris/etc. watches he has had serviced/repaired/refurbished.

2) Don't know but many, including Seiko, start at midnight any may not finish until well after 3am.

3) I have been ordering most straps in odd/small lug sizes (and XL length) from Holebn's.

You did not ask but for Great-Grandpa's watch, maybe a Vortic conversion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn, that dulcimer. Don't see those everyday.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Damn, that dulcimer. Don't see those everyday.
    It's #424 from Bob Thomason, who's still making them. This one was made in Sept 1990. Still looks brand new.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last update on the Bulova for now - reached out to a handful of watchmakers, sent them pics/explanation of what's going on and asked for a rough idea of the estimate. Numbers came in as low as $100 for guys doing it as a side gig to $600-$900 for RGM (who has approximately a year long wait list). However, doing a bit of research on the brand (which is pretty interesting, they had the first radio and TV ads of any sort in the USA) I discovered that in 1945 Mr Bulova Jr opened the Joseph Bulova School of Watchmaking to help get disabled veterans coming back from The War to work. The school closed in 1993, but the Veterans Watchmaker Initiative took the same idea and ran with it, and is an official Bulova service center, and they'll do the work for about $350 + whatever parts it needs. It'll take them about 8 months to get to it most likely. But that's what I'm gonna do, will get it shipped out this week.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com