Thread: Cameras, Again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cameras, Again

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    How does she know she needs a lense if she doesn't know much about it and didn't really learn to use it ? Why should you look for it instead of her ? Looks like backwards thinking to me.
    Well, we have been together for 24 years and she rarely asks for anything, I can probably count on one hand the things she has ever asked for. I asked if she wanted anything for the holiday, and with our upcoming trip, she thinks she needs one... That's good enough for me. She mentioned it and has said nothing else about, I figured I would surprise her.

Does she know she needs one?????? Nope.. Did she say she wants one??? Yep...

Does she question why I have 5 ATB's, 3 road bikes and 3 CX bikes, not ever...

It may sound like backwards thinking to you, but, it works for me...
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little drift: what would you suggest for a compact, lightweight camera to carry on while touring? Used mainly for landscapes, mandatory pic of the bike, picture of the rider (doh!).
    I'm crap taking pictures, really need to take some advice from a friend who's good working with SLR's.

My needs are:
    -compact and light
    -not sure for a p.b. waterproof model (like this), but that would add peace of mind
    -GOOD WHEN THERE'S LOW LIGHT
    -quick to turn up and shoot
    -decent battery life
    -I see that most modern cameras have GPS function, that is welcome (although I think will drain the battery)
    -good macro function

Am I asking too much?
    Thanks!
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, asking too much. Last time I looked (recently) there aren't any weather sealed cameras between the small waterproof ones with tiny sensors and the om-d, which isn't compact.

Aside from that, I think the Sony rx100 series fits the bill. I believe this is what Houston here uses for his fantastic ride photos. It is very compact, has great glass for a point and shoot type, and will have about as good of low light performance as you could hope for without going to something a little too specialized, like the Sony rx1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are there any versions of the Sony RX-100 which are preferred as there seems to be some decent deals on used units? I'm just not sure if model III for instance is significantly better than model I for a hack like me.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    My wife has a Canon Rebel ... She says she needs a lense.
    My wife and I both have Rebels also (although I'm thinking of ditching it to go mirrorless, but that's another story). Did your rebel not come with a standard zoom kit lens? Why does your wife want a new one?

We have a variety of kit zoom lenses between us, and they're generally decent all-around lenses. The 15-85mm is well regarded, and the 18-135mm is OK. You could do the same with the 18-200mm that J44ke mentioned, which is a great option. I have a fancier ef-s 17-55 f2.8 which is a great lens, but is a bit big. But when I think I'll be shooting in a wide range of conditions, that's the lens I take.

If I can recommend though: Don't just get one lens, get (at least) two. That's the whole point of interchangeable lens cameras.

I recently bought a 24mm f2.8 pancake lens (Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Lens Review), and honestly, now I leave that lens on the camera 80% of the time. It's tiny, it makes the camera feel way more portable and easier to carry, so I'm way more likely to bring it with me. It's also pretty fast (low f-stop number means you can shoot better quality pictures in lower light and have pleasing blurry separation b/w subject and background), and I'd highly recommend it for any canon aps-c camera (rebels and the XXD series).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by randonneur View Post
    I recently bought a 24mm f2.8 pancake lens (Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Lens Review), and honestly, now I leave that lens on the camera 80% of the time. It's tiny, it makes the camera feel way more portable and easier to carry, so I'm way more likely to bring it with me. It's also pretty fast (low f-stop number means you can shoot better quality pictures in lower light and have pleasing blurry separation b/w subject and background), and I'd highly recommend it for any canon aps-c camera (rebels and the XXD series).
    I second this. It is a great little lens, basically adds no weight or size to the body and is a really good versatile focal length (its more or less 35mm on a full frame).

I have a bunch of lenses, but this one is on mine at least 80% of the time too. If I'm swapping it out it is generally for something wider for big nature shots, but even then there have been days that I've only taken the 24mm and I haven't really missed 10-18mm.

For the kind of shooting I do (on the street, out on my bike in the wilderness) I don't tend to feel the need for a telephoto.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    Well, we have been together for 24 years and she rarely asks for anything, I can probably count on one hand the things she has ever asked for. I asked if she wanted anything for the holiday, and with our upcoming trip, she thinks she needs one... That's good enough for me. She mentioned it and has said nothing else about, I figured I would surprise her.

Does she know she needs one?????? Nope.. Did she say she wants one??? Yep...

Does she question why I have 5 ATB's, 3 road bikes and 3 CX bikes, not ever...

It may sound like backwards thinking to you, but, it works for me...
    I'm not saying she can't afford a lense if she wants a lense. I was questionning the method of asking someone who is even more clueless than her to choose it. In other words : did you asked her to choose your 5 ATB, 3 road and 3 CX bikes for you ?

Now that you say she didn't even ask for it, I understand better the situation.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    Am I asking too much?
    Definitely !

I mentionned on other similar threads that I own a Ricoh WG-5 GPS camera. It is sold as shockproof, waterproof, dustproof, whateverproof and it is a great camera to carry around when doing MTB. It takes decent pictures.

Better pics than a Sony RX100 ? No way. But I wouldn't dare taking a Sony RX100 in the trails, even more so when I look at my smartphone condition.

Ricoh WG-5 GPS updates rugged series: Digital Photography Review
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely !

I mentionned on other similar threads that I own a Ricoh WG-5 GPS camera. It is sold as shockproof, waterproof, dustproof, whateverproof and it is a great camera to carry around when doing MTB. It takes decent pictures.

Better pics than a Sony RX100 ? No way. But I wouldn't dare taking a Sony RX100 in the trails, even more so when I look at my smartphone condition.

The two major things at odds here are the weatherproof thing and the "GOOD WHEN THERE'S LOW LIGHT". Since the weatherproof came off as a would be nice to me, and the low light shooting seems to be a must, I don't think there's a waterproof option out there that will make him happy. In good light, it's probably great. Small sensors really begin to suffer in low light situations.

Durability is probably a personal thing. I've never had a case on any of my iphones and have once dented one corner of one over 3 models and 7 years. My wife on the other hand... we will see how she does with the RX100 since she will be carrying it most often.

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Are there any versions of the Sony RX-100 which are preferred as there seems to be some decent deals on used units? I'm just not sure if model III for instance is significantly better than model I for a hack like me.
    I think the III and IV are still thought of as very good. I don't have first hand experience with using them. It even seems like they might still be getting manufactured since stock seems strong in multiple places, which is odd in a time when companies try and eliminate all old inventory before introducing new models.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    Little drift: what would you suggest for a compact, lightweight camera to carry on while touring? Used mainly for landscapes, mandatory pic of the bike, picture of the rider (doh!).
    I'm crap taking pictures, really need to take some advice from a friend who's good working with SLR's.

My needs are:
    -compact and light
    -not sure for a p.b. waterproof model (like this), but that would add peace of mind
    -GOOD WHEN THERE'S LOW LIGHT
    -quick to turn up and shoot
    -decent battery life
    -I see that most modern cameras have GPS function, that is welcome (although I think will drain the battery)
    -good macro function

Am I asking too much?
    Thanks!
    I'd skip the waterproff aspect if I were you. I soent a lot of time figuring out what the best waterproof small cam was. For me, it was the Nikon, (AW110) and not the olympus that everyone thought was better. Iliked the color rendition better, and thought it produced a sharper photo. In the end, the photos were not much better than an iPhone. I used it underwater which was cool for a bit, but far from neccesary. I was eventually given an older go pro, that is far more fun to mess around with if you ask me.

So my opininion would be to get a smaller, cheaper point and shoot (cant help you there) as well as a go pro if you want to use it when it gets really nasty.

One thing to think about, wifi, Its really nice to have if you want to post things, or send family updates etc. We were computerless (and phoneless) for longer periods, so it was nice to be able to pull photos off the camera whenever we wanted.

Lastly, I toured with a Oly EM-10 in a handlebar bag. I'm sure it took a beating on the spanish cobbles, but you sure as hell wouldn't know it. I might prefer something smaller in the end though. All I'm saying, most of these things are pretty damn durable.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely !

I take my Sony RX100 on dirt (MTB) trails all the time. For over two years just in my jersey pocket unless its raining then in a ziplock bag. It is beat to hell but still is ticking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    Since the weatherproof came off as a would be nice to me, and the low light shooting seems to be a must, I don't think there's a waterproof option out there that will make him happy. In good light, it's probably great. Small sensors really begin to suffer in low light situations.
    My camera does decent underwater pictures so it is not that bad in low light situations. But then again there is low light and very low light.

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    I take my Sony RX100 on dirt (MTB) trails all the time. For over two years just in my jersey pocket unless its raining then in a ziplock bag. It is beat to hell but still is ticking.
    I can't keep a smartphone in good shape for more than a handful of months. It is about me, not about the trails but taking them off road would just worsen that tendency. Some people are just much better at taking care of their gears than others. I broke two lenses just by letting my DSLR and micro four third cameras slip off my hands.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    Yep, asking too much. Last time I looked (recently) there aren't any weather sealed cameras between the small waterproof ones with tiny sensors and the om-d, which isn't compact.

Aside from that, I think the Sony rx100 series fits the bill. I believe this is what Houston here uses for his fantastic ride photos. It is very compact, has great glass for a point and shoot type, and will have about as good of low light performance as you could hope for without going to something a little too specialized, like the Sony rx1.
    Thanks, it seems that the RX100 thicks most of the boxes.
    Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1 Review | PhotographyBLOG

IMO the GPS is quite important when touring, you don't always remember where it was that nice road leading down there...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely !

To be fair, my phone is water and shockproof, and my action cam (Sony HDR-AZ1) is splashproof too.
    The latter works surprisingly well in low light, so as far as Mtb or conditions where rain cannot be avoided, I'd say I'm covered.

Even for someone that is not into photography, having a bigger camera sensor does make sense.
    This RX100 seems to pack very good picture quality in a small package: 1" sensor, 3.6x optical zoom, 3" lcd, all in 10x6x3.5cm!
    And usb charging is most welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't keep a smartphone in good shape for more than a handful of months. It is about me, not about the trails but taking them off road would just worsen that tendency. Some people are just much better at taking care of their gears than others. I broke two lenses just by letting my DSLR and micro four third cameras slip off my hands.
    Sounds like you need to get your prescription for muscle relaxer reduced.

I think for a novice shooter what they call a "wide-zoom" is perfect as a learning lens and a perfect travel lens. That's why I pointed to the 18-200. Most novice photographers have yet to learn how the "reach" of their lens affects how viewable the image will be. "See that spot right there? That's grandpa." A zoom lens gives a novice a quick and easily understood way to adjust the framing of the photo so that the subject is not only in the photo but identifiable as well. In the old days, you'd learn on a 50mm lens, but zooms are really dependable now and fast focusing/fast zooming, so there's nothing wrong (I think) with learning on a zoom lens. It certainly will help a novice photographer match how the photo looks to how they imagine the photo will look.

When you travel, especially if you will see wildlife or scenic vistas, having a wide range of focal lengths at your disposal is a nice advantage. However, very few people want to carry several different lenses. So a zoom makes natural sense in that respect. With a wide zoom, you can take architectural and interior photos (auto-everything will crank the ISO on the camera to compensate for a slow lens and Canon has some of the better noise management at high ISO) with the wide angle end of the zoom as well as photograph a hummingbird at the window of your cabana with the zoom lens. Zooms are not necessarily for shooting things far away - as above, they are for better framing the subject in a way that makes sense for the viewer.

So I think the 18-200 is actually a simpler lens to use than a 50mm lens - it will give the photographer the framing flexibility to raise their success rate with viewable photos, it works in a wide range of contexts, zooms are fast focusing and quick zooming, and with excellent image stabilization like this lens has, a novice photographer will get more keepers than they would with a non-IS lens. Just attach it to the camera, set it on Program, make sure it will use auto-ISO in Program, and fill a handful of SD cards with JPGS. The best way to get a good photo and to learn is to shoot a lot of photographs.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    ... "See that spot right there? That's grandpa."....
    Zooms are not necessarily for shooting things far away - as above, they are for better framing the subject in a way that makes sense for the viewer.
    One never stops learning.
    Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would get a normal lens and a zoom. Normal: 50mm. It will work great when it's dark and camera will be much lighter to carry. Those lenses can be pretty cheap and have excellent optics.
    Others mentioned good zoom lenses. Get both. My bet is she will prefer the normal lens most of the time. I do.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    I bought a new MkI Sony RX100 nearly a year ago. It was a third of the price of the latest version at the time (Mk3 or maybe 4). It is actually slightly smaller, as it doesn't have a flip screen for selfies, but I just deemed that something more likely to break off. It was a no-brainer decision, and I'm amazed at the detail in some of the shots I get with it literally pointing and shooting. Its been rugged and reliable despite many rides in a sweaty jersey back pocket. Its abilities are more than enough for probably 98% of amateur photographers out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not saying she can't afford a lense if she wants a lense. I was questionning the method of asking someone who is even more clueless than her to choose it. In other words : did you asked her to choose your 5 ATB, 3 road and 3 CX bikes for you ?

Now that you say she didn't even ask for it, I understand better the situation.
    Hey Thomas, seems like you set out to bust my balls? Not sure why, but, maybe you need that??? You can have them, I got the info I asked for from folks that wanted to help... ordered, and done.

Thanks everyone else.
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That wasn't the case. Something must have been lost in translation. Sorry for that Rowdy and have a good day !
    --
    T h o m a s

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast