Thread: PC Laptop

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: PC Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    A business laptop is build and tested to not become an overheating and noisy p.o.s. after ten minutes of use...
    I know there is a world of possibilities out there, but would you mind kicking out an example or two that speak to you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sevencyclist View Post
    Thanks for lots of feedback. I have a MacAir 13" which is great for me.

The new computer is for my wife to replace her PC notebook (a lenovo with electric plug issues after 4 years). She does some Microsoft Office stuff with Word and Excel which needed to be compatible with other PC Office documents. No massive calculations. Otherwise, she uses it to surf the net, and she has habit of opening 20 different web pages all at once because she is "comparison shopping." I am trying to lower the cost and wonder whether any of the Netbook or lower memory 1GB or 2GB would work well for this purpose. Thanks.
    Wife uses Goog docs with Excel/Word, no prob.

Replace the brick. Cheap.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell View Post
    I know there is a world of possibilities out there, but would you mind kicking out an example or two that speak to you?
    Lenovo Thinkpad. Ultimate business laptop IMO. Sturdy, good quality components, you can configure many options (I never need a potent graphical card, but I do need lots of ram).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunno why no Dell??

Having used lots of high end laptops the Precisions ar pretty good pieces of hardware to beat and easily on a par with the Thinkpad, I do lots of CAD and FEA on them and to be honest these are probably way above anything you need the main thing thats different is they have is a the quadro graphics cards which you wont need for anything outside cad scientific or DCC

I did the Mac thing a couple of years ago when they changed to being intel based and that was purely because the Dell was nearly double the price of macbook pro..the macbook would have plenty of power for your requirement and will let you run OSx or windows in bootcamp if needed

The first sony i owned lasted a good two years (which is good for me) but the newer ones are pretty plasticky at the mid range fw models with the s and z series being more robust buisness books

Your budget will be the decider but im sure HP do one thats a macbook clone sort of without the pricetag and similar processor and ram specification

*edit* forgot to mention Dell precisions also weight the same as the moon so if you need to carry it?*

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. Sounds like my wife can benefit from having 4GB Ram for the surfing she does. Does anyone know whether the processors will make difference for her in just surfing without any calculation and no photo editing etc.

Processors of i3, i5, Pentium, Celeron, AMD E1, E4 etc. Thanks.

Looking at an ASUS X55C which has Pentium 4GB for $330 or Lenovo IdeaPad Pentium 4GB for $300, Lenovo AMD E2 for $365, and Lenovo G 585 with 4GB i3 processor at $440. Price seems to go up with "better processors" but don't know whether it is significant for what she does and future compatibility.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I put more stock in RAM and drive space (or upgrade to solid state) over processor speed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12