User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY haircut using pet clippers - how hard can it be?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: DIY haircut using pet clippers - how hard can it be?

On behalf of all the other bald guys, this thread is the worst kind of humblebrag. Ooooh, my thick, luscious hair is just too much to manage during lockdown so I think I'll try something short.

I've shaved my head somewhere between 1,500 and 2,000 times over the last 20+ years. Here's how you do it: 1) grab clippers, remove all guards and set to the shortest setting, 2) look in the mirror and longingly recall the days when you still had hair, and 3) buzz away.

If you get to step 2 and realize you still have hair, put down the clippers and grow it long. Like Samson. You owe it to yourselves and to those of us who can't do the same.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    @zambenini I was thinking that @charliedid meant that you should let the kids practice on you! Talk about a quarantine memory, "Remember that time we made Dad's hair look so awful?"
    Oh, my bad! My kids are young. I'm still getting the hang of what's ethical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    On behalf of all the other bald guys, this thread is the worst kind of humblebrag. Ooooh, my thick, luscious hair is just too much to manage during lockdown so I think I'll try something short.

I've shaved my head somewhere between 1,500 and 2,000 times over the last 20+ years. Here's how you do it: 1) grab clippers, remove all guards and set to the shortest setting, 2) look in the mirror and longingly recall the days when you still had hair, and 3) buzz away.

If you get to step 2 and realize you still have hair, put down the clippers and grow it long. Like Samson. You owe it to yourselves and to those of us who can't do the same.
    This was the whole reason I was willing to let my wife try it ... I go the pros because long dos would almost look like a skullet (a style I would try at another stage of life), and what I have left I'm willing to pay someone to tend while it remains on earth. I figured a global outbreak was the best time to make my wife butcher me as I could always just buzz. I'll join your ranks soon enough, though I hope to take a few Philistines out on my way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COVRTDESIGN View Post
    About a day away from using my beard trimmer to buzz the head.
    I use my beard trimmer to do my head - works just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using clippers to do mine for 15 years now. My SO gets the bit in the back I can never get quite right. Simple, easy, cheap.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hair is now Anderson Cooper-like in its shade. I guess it’s what happens to child blondes. But at least I have it all, unlike most of my cousins. I may embrace the bushiness as it gets longer but over the past decade I’ve grown used to the 1/2 clipper guard high and tight cut. We’ll see.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will take longer than you think especially if you have cowlicks. I did it for years with whatever the cheapest clippers were. I may have to go back but will definitely do some experiments on the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I have the mohawk since last sunday. I doubt I would have ever done it if I wasn't in a strict lockdown. So far 2 video conf and an online spanish class. It made it a bit slower to start the meeting as everyone tries to insert his own joke but people should get used to it quickly.
    It's also important to accessorize well.

Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the non shave head guys, please post pictures. When I did mine (only once) the rat bites were pretty funny. There is a skill set in being a barber, which I don't seem to have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moke View Post
    for the non shave head guys, please post pictures. When i did mine (only once) the rat bites were pretty funny. There is a skill set in being a barber, which i don't seem to have.
    thomas!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to know a guy who really used this:

"Proper suction is the key!"
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

+1

if you decide to shave it instead of growing a glorious mane, i recommend an inexpensive drop cloth. i buy them by the 12 pack from the lowes / depot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've kept my luscious locks longer than I ever thought I would (my dad went bald in college) but this might be the point where I stop pretending there's enough up there to salvage.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    My hair is now Anderson Cooper-like in its shade.
    I think AC must have his hair cut more often than i shave my face.
    It's always exactly the same, even in a hurricane.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    +1

if you decide to shave it instead of growing a glorious mane, i recommend an inexpensive drop cloth. i buy them by the 12 pack from the lowes / depot.
    The roomba does a nice job and there's always the great outdoors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If my mane gets so long I can't deal with it, I know there's this option (though I'll get the "trim" via clippers).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    +1

Double duty for your kill room Dexter ;)

We need to post before and after pics. I'm still on the fence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I hope there's no hair doping going on. Because it is a thing.

And before you jump into the finasteride pool, you may want to figure what the TV commercial means when they say "certain sexual side effects".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI from Mayo Clinic website:

Finasteride (Oral Route)
    Description and Brand Names
    Drug information provided by: IBM Micromedex

US Brand Name
    Propecia
    Proscar
    Descriptions

Note: Women who are pregnant or may become pregnant should not use finasteride or handle the crushed or broken tablets. Finasteride can cause birth defects in male babies.

Finasteride is used to treat men with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and male pattern hair loss, also called androgenetic alopecia. BPH is caused by an enlarged prostate. Men with BPH usually have difficulty urinating, a decreased flow of urination, hesitation at the beginning of urination, and a need to get up at night to urinate. Finasteride will make these symptoms less severe and reduce the chance that prostate surgery will be needed. It may be used alone or in combination with other medicines such as an alpha-blocker (doxazosin, Cardura®) to treat BPH. For men with hair loss, finasteride will increase the number of scalp hairs but will not increase the amount of body hair.

Finasteride blocks the action of an enzyme called 5-alpha-reductase. This enzyme changes testosterone to another hormone that causes the prostate to grow or hair loss in males. It will increase testosterone levels in the body, which decreases prostate size and increases hair growth on the scalp. The effect of finasteride on the prostate and scalp will only last as long as the medicine is taken. When it is stopped, the prostate begins to grow again and the hair will be lost.

This medicine is available only with your doctor's prescription.
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No difference between animal clippers and people clippers. Obviously don't use your dog's clippers on yourself without carefully disinfecting with Barbicide or similar. I have an Oster Classic, and you'll see that clipper in barbers and pet grooming establishments alike. The clipper usually comes with a #1 blade and a #000 . However, I think #2 is the best all-round size if you are just shortening everything to the same length. Clean and re-oil and it will last a long time.

I used to have a manual clipper made by some German company. Very sharp and if you did it wrong the sharpened tines on the comb sliced your scalp. But with a little practice and blood loss you had a handy off-grid method.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast