User Tag List

Page 33 of 146 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

Braised leg of lamb from my cousin's ranch, pulled off the bone and stuffed into gyros. So tasty.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooked up some ribs yesterday. Gave them a frequent bath in a guava bbq sauce that I made up a while back, based on the CIA recipe with some minor adjustments to suit some available ingredients. Make again = yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dewd. I'd never starve in your village. Looks amazing.

A pal of mine just laid some Key Lime + Habanero hot sauce that is insanely good.
    I think this is the stuff: Toad Sweat Key Lime and Habanero Dessert Sauce Hot-Sauce
    Thought you'd appreciate.

We FINALLY had an blue crab feast this saturday. Wow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MMM. Blue crab. I'm sure that feast is an understatement. The real treat of the weekend was a mango salsa I made up. They guy who owns the store next door to my office gave me 4 nice looking tree ripened mangos, probably from somebody's yard. My neighbor gave me some little tiny red peppers (pic forthcoming). Chopped up 6 peppers, all 4 mangos, about 1/3 of a sweet onion, a teaspoon of key lime juice, a little cilantro from the yard and a little ground sea salt. Let it sit overnight - and it came out with a nice balance of the flavors. Had that with some grilled mahi-mahi, rice and salad last night, Simple but good.

I'll keep an eye out for the toad sweat. Could be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    MMM. Blue crab. I'm sure that feast is an understatement. The real treat of the weekend was a mango salsa I made up. They guy who owns the store next door to my office gave me 4 nice looking tree ripened mangos, probably from somebody's yard. My neighbor gave me some little tiny red peppers (pic forthcoming). Chopped up 6 peppers, all 4 mangos, about 1/3 of a sweet onion, a teaspoon of key lime juice, a little cilantro from the yard and a little ground sea salt. Let it sit overnight - and it came out with a nice balance of the flavors. Had that with some grilled mahi-mahi, rice and salad last night, Simple but good.

I'll keep an eye out for the toad sweat. Could be interesting.
    Ummm, I think what you make sounds better. Sooo amazing to live and cook where you do.
    Summer vay kay is just around the block for me and Queen. I plan to do some surf casting for stripers and blue.
    That will not suk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was just fortuitous that the ingredients came together all at once. Fresh mangos are really a treat. The skin is sticky with the tree sap. The flavor is really explosive and when you cut into a really nice ripe one the flesh is almost dayglo bright. One of these days I'll be out fishing, my co-worker's B/F is pretty maniacal about it and wants to take me with him some time - probably casting from the shore at night. Night fishing seems to be pretty popular here.

You are tapped in to some killer grub there. This is just a different place with different stuff. I miss good tomatos and strawberries. Too many years in the central valley spoiled me to price and quality on those things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The continuation....

Mahi w/ mango salsa

Peppers from next door. A little frosty from coming out of the freezer. Hab in there for color and size reference. I used 6 of the reds for the salsa.

Stopped and thanked the guy for the mangos. He gave me more - he has a huge box full of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice.
    We invited a new acquaintance to the crabfeast. She is a young pro. chef from PA...where they pickle everything! I gifted her with an jar of my garlic/dill pickles and a jar of uber double secret BBQ sauce we shall see what comes back ;) She is currently managing the seafood section at an large Whole Foods. Hmmmmmm. FWIIW I've been getting into preparing large fresh sardines tuscan style. Basically you heat good EVO as high as you dare than add your prepared seasoned sardines (pat dry before you season) and use an spoon to fry them with the pan tipped a bit. I make an simple lemon zest EVO/Pepper/Mashed Garlic dressing and serve on frisee lettuce Fennel works just as well.
    Looks like this

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunday I did back ribs, grilled corn on the cob, and roasted Patron peppers, Basque-style. My ribs have been improving. This week I took a page from my short rib recipe and simmered them on the stovetop in duck/chicken stock with some celery, onion, and carrots,before leaving them on the grill at 225 for a few hours. They would separate from the bone nicely, without completely falling off.
    My wet mop consists of ketchup, A1, beer, and a secret mix of spices.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, you guys need to start sharing recipes too.

I'm trying to impress a girl and my usual fare is quickly running out. I was going to make stir fry tonight. Lord save my soul.

Haha. I've been MIA for a bit, but this food brought me back. Nom!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
    Okay, you guys need to start sharing recipes too.

I'm trying to impress a girl and my usual fare is quickly running out. I was going to make stir fry tonight. Lord save my soul.

Haha. I've been MIA for a bit, but this food brought me back. Nom!
    Tis the season for tuna salads yo. Why not whip up something fresh with string beans, heirloom cherry tomatoes, goat cheese, cracked pepper, EVO and some fresh tuna steaks seared/cooled/cubed + an bottle of grappa. You can't miss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give an idea of what you have in the way of ingredients and the salon can probably give you some ideas on how to do it up. There are some mad cooking skills here. I posted a recipe for a sweet onion bread a while back. Great for a party and pretty easy, if you know how to bake...me wife makes it, not me and it is always a crowd pleaser. Toots has a good slaw recipe that we have done here that is really good as well. It does need to be made ahead so that the flavors can come together, but girl will be more impressed when you start bringing all this good grub on. A nice chunk of grilled fish is always good. Don't skimp on quality with fish. Make a nice marinade, sauce or salsa to go with it. Get a sense of how much heat girl will tolerate in her salsa before making it, though. Salsa always gains heat as it sits, so again, make ahead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone with more time and energy than I've got could put all 33 pages of recipes into an VSalon cookbook?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Family vacation this week in Duck Key, Florida...awesome place in the middle of the Keys. Boating, swimming, snorkeling all the while with Shark Week on Discovery. I spotted my first thong swimsuits too...thankfully both were worn by the Argentinian women who are in the house next door and not the German dudes across the street.

Everywhere you turn, more seafood that I can shake a stick at, so Mrs. RW sent me to a seafood shop in Marathon for some shrimp...grilled and taco style. She also grilled some brisket on the side. Check out the brew options offered at the local Publix Market. The photo of the Southernmost microbrewery in the US was taken in Key West for Darren.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playing with my sous vide, mahi mahi with lemon, capers and olive oil.
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After spending a few hours tidying our garden last night I wipped up one of my summer faves, raw, cold tomato soup.
    We are growing five different tomato varieties and we have plenty of each. They all went into the blender with a quarter onion, lots of coriander seed, a pinch of cumin, sea salt, pepper and a hand full of spinach to cut the acidity a bit. Sometimes I'll use some garden cucumbers too to keep it fresh and soften the tomato.
    Suzy added some garlic shrimp tacos to the mix and it was a beautiful night.

For me tomatoes are what summer is about and I wait a long time for the good ones.
    What are you doing with your tomatoes?
    noah

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velocolour View Post
    After spending a few hours tidying our garden last night I wipped up one of my summer faves, raw, cold tomato soup.
    We are growing five different tomato varieties and we have plenty of each. They all went into the blender with a quarter onion, lots of coriander seed, a pinch of cumin, sea salt, pepper and a hand full of spinach to cut the acidity a bit. Sometimes I'll use some garden cucumbers too to keep it fresh and soften the tomato.
    Suzy added some garlic shrimp tacos to the mix and it was a beautiful night.

For me tomatoes are what summer is about and I wait a long time for the good ones.
    What are you doing with your tomatoes?
    noah
    My tomatoes went into an mound of Quinoa with shredded dry mushrooms. Yumm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooked up some homemade gyro's meat and "casserole'd" it con brown rice, garden tomatoes, shallots and garlic carmelized in red wine. Bit of kale and all mixed in with a family lemon mint dressing recipe. Topped her off with sourdough dill croutons and 2 yr. brick cheese.

It was heaven.
    Cottage cheese for dinner, Greek yogurt for dessert, eat that everyday an' it will make your butt hurt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    My tomatoes went into an mound of Quinoa with shredded dry mushrooms. Yumm.
    Ruhlman has a *great* fresh-tomato/garlic pasta recipe on his site. Try it:
    Guerrilla cooking demo

As for me, I've been making fresh cheese to be able to make these:

I present you, Marillenknödel (apricot dumplings). Rolled in toasted breadcrumbs (butter, cinnamon, cloves), fresh-cheese dough (you may know it as quark, we call it Topfen), and a sugared apricot in the middle. Heaven. Eat 1 for dessert, three for dinner.

Or, three for dessert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    Ruhlman has a *great* fresh-tomato/garlic pasta recipe on his site. Try it:
    Guerrilla cooking demo

As for me, I've been making fresh cheese to be able to make these:

I present you, Marillenknödel (apricot dumplings). Rolled in toasted breadcrumbs (butter, cinnamon, cloves), fresh-cheese dough (you may know it as quark, we call it Topfen), and a sugared apricot in the middle. Heaven. Eat 1 for dessert, three for dinner.

Or, three for dessert.
    We should hang out. Beautiful work.