User Tag List

Page 36 of 364 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Fiesta R2

laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to see the pile of stuff they took *out*.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being french I think I would buy a good old 205 maxi.

It doesn't get much better than that for our tiny tarmac rural roads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coll vid. When I was 19 I had one of these and it was super cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn it, now I want to find a used one:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think there was anyone growing up in Europe when I did who didn't at some point want a 205 GTI 1.9. Red, black, or metallic blue was really the only question.

I did a race in Finland in a Pug 106 S1600 car when they were new. The only time I've had to wear earplugs under the Peltor helmet ear cups. Brutally loud car. 8500 redline, normally aspirated. Sounded like a CRF450R in a tin can. It's easy to complain about the plumbing in a turbo car, but it really does help the ears if you're in it for 3 days straight, 16 weekends a year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    I don't think there was anyone growing up in Europe when I did who didn't at some point want a 205 GTI 1.9. Red, black, or metallic blue was really the only question.
    I have absolutely great memories of my 205 GTI 1.9. It was so fast and smooth, 130hp, 800kg. Just did a quick internet search and I guess they have become a "collector".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When we went from Paris to the French country side to Switzerland, then back to Paris - we had this little Toyota wagon w/ turbo. I made everyone in that car sick flying around those country roads. Amazing driving (and riding of course) there!
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    I have absolutely great memories of my 205 GTI 1.9. It was so fast and smooth, 130hp, 800kg. Just did a quick internet search and I guess they have become a "collector".
    Hard to find a good example now. I almost bought one last month. It was really nice, original and had been well cared of. I didn't need it but I might regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the roughest car in this thread:

My 1956 Type 1 sedan. I bought this from Bruce Roehrs (RIP) in 2002 for the princely sum of $450. I didn't know who he was at first, but the Ramones sticker kind of gave it away. He told me that he bought it in Arizona from hippies who used to drive it around the desert. They drilled holes into the quarter panels and bolted jerry cans to the sides for their adventures. After that he drove it around for a while, up to Tahoe and back a million times (tying his skis to the roof with rope) before parking it for the better part of 20 years. Since I bought the car it's been sitting in my mom's garage (sorry Mom!) but now I have a place with space to work, which means it's getting dusted off.

It needs:
    -New fenders, hood, decklid
    -Complete electrical redo (the engine compartment is like a big tumbleweed of house wiring)
    -Windshield
    -Headliner, carpet, seat covers
    -Paint and bodywork

So basically it needs everything. The good news is that the pans and heater channels are solid, since it was an AZ/CA car. Even the battery tray looks good. And most of the glass is good and original, except for the windshield which is cracked in two places. But it's a good starting point, and it'll keep me from going crazy this winter.

The current engine is a 40 horse (not original) so it'll probably get replaced. The good part is that I won't feel guilty about a 2332 with 48IDAs, or maybe EFI.

IMG_20121218_132344.jpg by cortezcycles, on Flickr

56 by cortezcycles, on Flickr

Do I get to keep my punk rock card?
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are the three I'm juggling right now. Equal parts agony and ecstasy.

family.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coll vid. When I was 19 I had one of these and it was super cool.

My younger brother had a few of these in his youth. Rolled at least one of them if memory serves

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was not necessarily a car made for the younglings. The lift-off oversteer is nice when racing but can be a real trap on wet/icy roads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the 205 is cool but not as cool as this gigantic piece of shit i had when i was young, dumb and european.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    the 205 is cool but not as cool as this gigantic piece of shit i had when i was young, dumb and european.
    For many many years there was a Maseratti version of that parked in Georgetown. I was able to talk to the owner once who says it ran fine and he intended to run it until it broke in half from rust. Pretty brilliant piece of engineering yo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cannot believe you were driving this CX...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cannot believe you were driving this CX...

that one wasn't mine- but mine was exactly the same. it was like owning the fucking bat mobile if the bat mobile had been built on mars by aliens who had no knowledge of automobiles made on earth. you wouldn't believe it but it was actually kind of fast. the guy i bought it from went out and bought some big new mercedes that was the same horrible beige that was the in color for every german taxi at the time....he missed the "performance" of the citroen...to me it felt like driving a motor boat.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that one wasn't mine- but mine was exactly the same. it was like owning the fucking bat mobile if the bat mobile had been built on mars by aliens who had no knowledge of automobiles made on earth. you wouldn't believe it but it was actually kind of fast. the guy i bought it from went out and bought some big new mercedes that was the same horrible beige that was the in color for every german taxi at the time....he missed the "performance" of the citroen...to me it felt like driving a motor boat.
    hum...My dad had one. Riding on the back of this thing with the hydrolic suspension (or whatever it was) was making me seriously car sick seriously fast!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hum...My dad had one. Riding on the back of this thing with the hydrolic suspension (or whatever it was) was making me seriously car sick seriously fast!
    yeah but it was totally awesome to pull up to an m5 or a porsche or something at a stop light and start reving that horrible sounding engine and then start raising and lowering the car while you're nodding at a confused guy with patek phillipe watch and no possible way of explaining to his slut of a mistress next to him what the insane kid with the bleached faux-hawk in the shit box next to him was doing....
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah but it was totally awesome to pull up to an m5 or a porsche or something at a stop light and start reving that horrible sounding engine and then start raising and lowering the car while you're nodding at a confused guy with patek phillipe watch and no possible way of explaining to his slut of a mistress next to him what the insane kid with the bleached faux-hawk in the shit box next to him was doing....
    This is funny shit. I did not realize the CX was sold in the US at all.