User Tag List

Page 50 of 364 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657585960 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 7261

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    That's surprising !
    Lots of tall Germans? I've been driving cars that are not made for me all my life. With the seats down and not all the way back I've got 3 inches over my head with a sunroof. Biggest comprimise is that the steering wheel does not telescope out as far as I'd like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Lots of tall Germans? I've been driving cars that are not made for me all my life. With the seats down and not all the way back I've got 3 inches over my head with a sunroof. Biggest comprimise is that the steering wheel does not telescope out as far as I'd like.
    Shit, I may have to look at these then ;-)

last time I tried a 911 I felt very cramped in there but it was a long while back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shit, I may have to look at these then ;-)

last time I tried a 911 I felt very cramped in there but it was a long while back.
    True, the old 911s I could not drive at all. Heck even corvettes have lousy seats that hit my shoulders...you'd think that american cars would accomodate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True, the old 911s I could not drive at all. Heck even corvettes have lousy seats that hit my shoulders...you'd think that american cars would accomodate.
    Are you trying to have me spend $80K on a car? A car I can't even put my bike in ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you trying to have me spend $80K on a car? A car I can't even put my bike in ?
    I had a newspaper route, compounded interest is a wonderful thing. We are buying a used car for sure.
    You've got some options wrt bikes in that car. Wheels off >> bike in a bag >>> fits behind the seats or S&S bike >> frame in trunk >> wheels behind seat OR several clever folks are selling elegant hitch mounts that fit behind the license plate (the license plate is remounted on a flip down hinge) and use something like a Thelma bike rack OR use factory Porsche Rails and rocky mounts...those Porsches have a rubber plug that hides a large receiver eg nothing touches the car. The rails/rack appeal to me since I can remove it in a few mins and I can remove it before pulling into T.K.s driveway thus avoiding the stink eye ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of racks, what about those custom bike racks we used to have on the trunk/roof of our cars in the 80's/90's. My dad still has the rack he used on his peugeot 505 then 405 back in the days. The pro teams are still using them, so they must be available somewhere. Any pointer ?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Appreciate that Philster. I've taken that advice to heart.
    If you love Fords please turn your head. I shot a quick video of the 66' yesterday.
    She's for sale, breaks my heart but it's time for another project.
    damn that's a clean car
    good luck with the sale, hope you get the money you need and feel good about where the car is headed as well.

quick story, when i was younger my neighbor had a 66 chevyII with a 350, a really large cam, 4:10 gears and a 4 speed, the car was really loud, 3" exhaust, so awesome. the whole car vibrated, you had to holler to talk to the each other at anything other than idle, the dash shook and when he got on it everything was just a loud crazy blur for me.
    i was always a little shaky and needed to take a pee after stepping out of that car.
    i would run out of the house to hang out with him everytime i heard him start it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody have any real world experience with a Volvo V70R? Thinking on a new to me fast wagon...

Alternatives considered as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Anybody have any real world experience with a Volvo V70R? Thinking on a new to me fast wagon...

Alternatives considered as well.
    Mercedes E55 wagon.

V8

Big V8

solid engine

more room than a Volvo.

Supercharged V8.

It's expensive and expensive to maintain (we have a 500 wagon which is much like the 55 less the supercharger) but these are pretty fine machines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What chassis? Volvo made V70R from 1998-2000 on the P80 chassis and again from 2004-2007 on the P2 chassis.

Example of the P80 chassis version:

Example of the P2 chassis version:

I have driven both versions extensively -- I'm partial to the earlier P80 chassis version myself as it's a bit simpler and therefore a bit cheaper and easier to maintain and fix when something breaks. However, it's getting tougher and tougher to find one in good shape simply due to the age. Downside though is no manual trans option for this car in the USA.

The newer P2 versions are great cars too and faster than the P80 version, especially with a couple upgrades. Add a downpipe and an ECU tune and you're right in the 350hp range. They handle OK out of the factory, but understeer pretty bad. Also easily fixed though with a set up upgraded anti-sway bars. The P2 version also has a lot better brakes than the earlier chassis version which is a plus. What can be the downside though is the cost of replacement for some of the parts that make up the fancy features. Expensive brake parts for the fancy Brembo brakes, $500 a piece 4C electronic struts, etc. The slave cylinder on manual trans cars has a history of early failure which is an expensive fix due to it being an internal slave. Angle gears can get ripped up too if you operate the gas pedal like a digital switch.

Don't let that dissuade you though, the P2 V70R is a great car.

Don't even bother considering the new "R Design" stuff Volvo is pawning off now on their new cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really amazes me the people who have found their way to this place over the years...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    It really amazes me the people who have found their way to this place over the years...
    Well, I for one have a day job not having anything to do with bikes (but I'm betting you can guess it involves!) and bikes are just the hobby that lead me here several months ago. Nice to find a forum with so much knowledge from so many talented professionals sharing their work and insight and I mostly just read and soak it all in. Just chiming in to try to share some knowledge that pertains to my particular area of expertise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As tempting as the high horse and nice parts are on the later model, the greater relative simplicity of the older car is appealing to this guy who has had a long string of high mile cars. How much of a difference in performance between the p80 and the p2? Looks like the p80 is a 2.3 and the p2 is a 2.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As tempting as the high horse and nice parts are on the later model, the greater relative simplicity of the older car is appealing to this guy who has had a long string of high mile cars. How much of a difference in performance between the p80 and the p2? Looks like the p80 is a 2.3 and the p2 is a 2.5
    The P80 V70R is 240-250hp and the P2 is 300hp from the factory. In my opinion they feel not too far apart in terms of power in their factory unmodified form. The extra curb weight and higher unsprung weight of the P2 contributes to that. If you decide to get the earlier, P80 chassis V70R try to find yourself a 1998 model if you can. The 1999 model year marked the change to ME7 engine management from Motronic and with that came a switch to distributorless ignition (coilpacks) and electronic throttle. Those early year electronic throttle modules were problematic. 1998 was still "simple" and uses regular throttle (cable connected to the go pedal) and as such didn't experience that issue.

A good condition 1998 V70R will be fun in it's factory form, and downright surprising with a few upgrades/updates. Plus they're quite nicely appointed inside. Alcantara seats, leather door panel inserts, nice stereo systems, etc. You know it's bonus points too since Sacha White told me he used to own one

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool. Solid info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Alternatives considered as well."
    A B6 Passat 4Motion wagon with the 3.6 VR6 might fit the bill but I'm not going to vouch for the long term robustness of VW electronics. There's no DSG and if manuals are available they're rarer than a sober frat boy at Ole Miss but the automatic with paddles shifts when asked too and that engine is sweet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The proud me wants a stick. The reality is that a stick is stupid in this town with all the stop and go and hills.

My brother had a passat wagon from the first year. I remember that being a nice drivetrain. Mrs haole has a passat with the 1.8 turbo. Pretty nice car, although a bit gutless off the line unless you want to give it full gas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Well, I for one have a day job not having anything to do with bikes (but I'm betting you can guess it involves!) and bikes are just the hobby that lead me here several months ago. Nice to find a forum with so much knowledge from so many talented professionals sharing their work and insight and I mostly just read and soak it all in. Just chiming in to try to share some knowledge that pertains to my particular area of expertise.
    It didn't take me long to put two and two together when "Cameron" showed up and started talking Volvos, and I doubt I'm the only one.

What makes this place interesting is that smart, creative people from all sorts of pursuits seem to come out of the woodwork and contribute in their own way. Thanks for chiming in!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If only I had seen this thing early enough to have been first in line. I'd of snatched it up instantly!

BaT Exclusive: 1-Family 19k-Mile 1971 Datsun 510 Sedan
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had an '04 V70R 6-speed that was possessed. Satan was hiding in there somewhere. The whole electrical system was screwed. It'd turn lights on and off by itself. The speedo would stop working. It'd initiate it's security system's disable mode and leave us stranded (until I learned to disconnect and reconnect the battery). My mechanic--a long time Volvo guy and thankfully a good friend--spent many uncharged hours trying to map all the faults. I wisely traded it in on an '09 Sportwagen.

Now when the car wasn't going psycho, it'd snap your neck when you stepped on the gas. The seats were very comfortable and it was a real joy to drive. Until you tried to park. Our pick up truck has a better turning radius. Between that and the poor side and rear visibility, my wife refused to drive it. Great car on paper (AWD, wagon, manual trans, good ergonomics, accelerates and stops on demand) but not for us.
    Last edited by ned; 08-21-2013 at 11:48 PM. Reason: seems,the iPad is psycho too