Oy ve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Porsche

IMG_6208.jpeg

I just joined the Porsche club. It’s a 2015 911. Loving it so far.

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations! The last of the naturally aspirated non-GT 911s. An instant classic.

Welcome to your new addiction. I highly recommend joining PCA - worth it for the magazine alone (Panorama) but also a great group of people for however you choose to enjoy your car.

Here's a couple of gratuitous shotsof my new garage in a 917 theme:

Garage3.jpg

Garage4.jpg
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw two young lads out for a drive yesterday, one in a 911 GTS and the other in a GT3 RS. Nice toys. I'll be fine over here with my Cayman dreams ...
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gggross View Post
    I just joined the Porsche club. It’s a 2015 911. Loving it so far.
    Did you go three pedal or PDK? Certainly some je ne said quoi with the third pedal... but PDK is soooooooo good at what it do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the PDK. I do love the manual transmission. It got down to being able to share my joy with friends and family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the PDK. I do love the manual transmission. It got down to being able to share my joy with friends and family.
    You must do a few track days with your local P car club.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A noble decision. I would’ve been a smaller person than you in the same situation …
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    You must do a few track days with your local P car club.
    Careful, it's like doing a 'few days' of snorting heroin. Once you start...............................
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Latest addition, just finished, livery not done yet. I will use this for historical track racing and plan to enter the "Tour Auto" with it next year. 3.0RS race car (but street legal). 300hp MFI engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh baby
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL the answer is always Miata. Yeah they are all that on an autocross course or playing the momentum game at track but maaaan they have no soul.
    I just ordered a 2024 ND3 Miata Club. I have no interest in a track car or autocrossing. I wanted an affordable super fun, small convertible with a manual transmission. Mazda made small but significant upgrades including supposedly a new LSD in back, revised steering for better on-center feel, new wiring for upgraded infotainment (I know…… that’s not why we buy a car but I’ll take the upgrade), all-LED lighting now and one or two other small improvements. I opted for the soft top in red with the manual transmission and the Recaro/Brembo/BBS package as well. The Club has upgraded Bilstein dampers. All controls inside the car are tactile, physical controls. So the opposite of my Model Y.

Soul or no, it’s less than half the price of a 718 and will provide me with 99% of what a 718 would, in a car that won’t dominate the garage and that I can feel comfortable leaving in the parking ramp at my work in Chicago. I think my Model Y is truly the car with no soul but I’m keeping it.

I’ll stop posting in the Porsche thread because I deliberately didn’t get one.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I just ordered a 2024 ND3 Miata Club. I have no interest in a track car or autocrossing. I wanted an affordable super fun, small convertible with a manual transmission. Mazda made small but significant upgrades including supposedly a new LSD in back, revised steering for better on-center feel, new wiring for upgraded infotainment (I know…… that’s not why we buy a car but I’ll take the upgrade), all-LED lighting now and one or two other small improvements. I opted for the soft top in red with the manual transmission and the Recaro/Brembo/BBS package as well. The Club has upgraded Bilstein dampers. All controls inside the car are tactile, physical controls. So the opposite of my Model Y.

Soul or no, it’s less than half the price of a 718 and will provide me with 99% of what a 718 would, in a car that won’t dominate the garage and that I can feel comfortable leaving in the parking ramp at my work in Chicago. I think my Model Y is truly the car with no soul but I’m keeping it.

I’ll stop posting in the Porsche thread because I deliberately didn’t get one.
    Congrats!
    What color? Look forward to seeing it and hearing about it.
    This and the Z4 in manual (though more of a GT these days) are definitely the benchmarks these days outside of the Porsche price point.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Congrats!
    What color? Look forward to seeing it and hearing about it.
    This and the Z4 in manual (though more of a GT these days) are definitely the benchmarks these days outside of the Porsche price point.
    I got the metallic red. It’s the most beautiful and striking color Mazda makes. I would love a green one because that’s my favorite color but they don’t offer that. So red it shall be. Placed the order and deposit on Friday. The dealership states 2-3 months for delivery. They’re mostly built to order as it’s not a volume car.

I owned a very early NA version of the Miata that a friend had owned from new. He had made some improvements to it but I inherited my father’s GMC Yukon after he left us and I couldn’t really keep three cars. The Miata needed a new top and I knew that version wasn’t my dream car anyway. As much fun as it was, it was seriously underpowered and even putting the pop-up headlights on caused enough drag to be noticeable.

The new one is just as tiny as the original I think and won’t take up too much garage space. I plan to drive until the roads are salted and then it’ll just wait until spring.

I had an Opel Kadett for a while when I lived in Europe and drove it top-down as much as I could, blasting the heat and bundled up. I expect to do the same in the Miata.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 07-28-2024 at 08:07 AM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I got the metallic red. It’s the most beautiful and striking color Mazda makes. I would love a green one because that’s my favorite color but they don’t offer that. So red it shall be. Placed the order and deposit on Friday. The dealership states 2-3 months for delivery. They’re mostly built to order as it’s not a volume car.

I owned a very early NA version of the Miata that a friend had owned from new. He had made some improvements to it but I inherited my father’s GMC Yukon after he left us and I couldn’t really keep three cars. The Miata needed a new top and I knew that version wasn’t my dream car anyway. As much fun as it was, it was seriously underpowered and even putting the pop-up headlights on caused enough drag to be noticeable.

The new one is just as tiny as the original I think and won’t take up too much garage space. I plan to drive until the roads are salted and then it’ll just wait until spring.

I had an Opel Kadett for a while when I lived in Europe and drove it top-down as much as I could, blasting the heat and bundled up. I expect to do the same in the Miata.
    Yep, that red is the best Miata color, and I agree a dark green would be choice (the Toyota GR Hakone edition shade is perfect.)

That's hilarious about the headlights/drag.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on the Miata, sounds sporty :) The LSD will be a hoot. Does it have traction control? Turn that off and put tape over it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy cow Lionel, I want to hit the Alps with that. Nice job on the details. That's going to be a keeper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Latest addition, just finished, livery not done yet. I will use this for historical track racing and plan to enter the "Tour Auto" with it next year. 3.0RS race car (but street legal). 300hp MFI engine.

You've got to brush off your rally skills too with that car if you intend to do the Tour Auto.

It reminds me of the Porsche 911sc Gilles Nantet raced until the mid 2000's in the french rally championship when the F class was still a thing and these cars weren't eligible to historic classes yet. He would still top the classification sometimes in the dry in front of the awd A8 class cars.

He and that guy who drove the rwd Ford Sierra RS500 were putting a great show in a sea of FWD and AWD rally cars.

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The counter steering pre-corner is mind blowing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on the Miata, sounds sporty :) The LSD will be a hoot. Does it have traction control? Turn that off and put tape over it.
    From what I understand it can be partially turned off or maybe even all the way. There's also a track mode I think. But it's not how I drive.
    La Cheeserie!