User Tag List

Thread: Orthotics and Cycling

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Orthotics and Cycling

Tell me what I need to know about orthotics and cycling please.

I've always suffered some hot foot on the right foot when riding clipped, so for the last couple of years I've mostly been on flats, even on the road bike. For the past few weeks (unrelated to riding) I've been hobbling around, even walking has been a problem and it turns out I have a legit podiatric issue with one of my metatarsals that time just caught up with me. Nothing particularly due to riding. I'm being told I need orthotics to keep from aggravating that particular bone/toe.

This is new to me. I'm assuming they'll get fitted, customized etc. Do you move them shoe-to-shoe each day?
    Does this mean I have to get rid of my $$$ dress shoes that I've had for 20+ years and I get refinished every few years?
    Should I be asking for cycling-specific orthotics and try to get back into clipless shoes?

I thought my feet were bullet proof. A bit sad to realize otherwise at this point in life.

thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Orthotics and Cycling

I used orthotics for years due to a running injury. Went to a podiatrist and he fitted me for them. Insurance paid. I then found an online source that sends the molding box and you mail it back and they make the orthotics. Super cheap and easy. I just got a pair for each pair of cycling shoes and running shoes. I didn’t bother with other shoes. Unfortunately it made me size up/ change my cycling shoe model.

Then, about two years ago, I started developing a hot foot situation on my outer two metatarsals on my right foot.

Went to the podiatrist. He said why are you using orthotics in cycling shoes? It turns out my orthotics were for a different part of my foot which doesn’t come into play in cycling, running yes but cycling no. so I took them out of the cycling shoes and went back to the same model and size I used to use.

Then, the metatarsal pain continued. Went back to the podiatrist. He recommended varus wedges (there is a different name…vagus…for them depending which side is up on the wedge which has to do with what the problem is). They are off the shelf from BikeFit. I put them under the sole of my right foot cycling shoes. Problem went away.

Long story which is a bit too wordy but to try to say it may not be as complex as it sounds at first.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am currently dealing with some foot issues. I've had injections in both feet for neuromas. That has given temporary relief for a shorter time period after each injection. I had my last injection 3 weeks ago with zero benefit. I've been trying to avoid surgery but it is now imminent. I have tried everything to avoid surgery including custom molded orthotic from a podiatrist. I used these in all my shoes for the last 3 months with no success. The $80 insoles I got from a local running store are more comfortable than the $800 orthotics from the podiatrist.

I wish you luck in finding relief. I quit cycling totally a few months ago to give my feet some relief and prepare for a month long camping trip. I will be scheduling a surgery consult when I return from vacation and hope I can finally get these foot issues behind me.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Don Lamson can make custom insoles for your cycling shoes. Pretty reasonable compared to the podiatrist. https://lamsoncycling.com/orthotics
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone. Following up with doc next week. On the one hand I’m surprised how this got out of hand (or foot) when it’s just been occasional hot foot over the years never to the point I couldn’t walk. But at least I know there’s a reason. Now just need to find the right fix.