User Tag List

Thread: Prime Rib Recipe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Prime Rib Recipe

Going to smoke a prime rib for Christmas. Shoot me your proven delicious prep ideas

Thanks
    Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Prime Rib Recipe

smoking it?
    rub with course salt and best fresh course pepper you can find.
    maybe rub a little fresh fine (espresso fine) grind coffee on it too.

smoke it hot and fast. burn the fire as clean as you can...

i think i pulled my last one at 140* internal temp, it was awesome. doing another this year.

edit: found a pic.

Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    smoking it?
    rub with course salt and best fresh course pepper you can find.
    maybe rub a little fresh fine (espresso fine) grind coffee on it too.

smoke it hot and fast. burn the fire as clean as you can...

i think i pulled my last one at 140* internal temp, it was awesome. doing another this year.
    Electric smoker. What I've read says 175 - 200 deg until internal of 110 or so, then finish in oven to brown/crisp up the outer crust to 135 for rare, probably go 140ish as the crowd is not a rare meat crowd, trying for medium rare.

Thanks for the info!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that sounds like a good plan. i'd put it in the oven at high heat to crisp it up nicely on the outside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Internal temps referenced seem kind of high. A medium rare roast should be pull around 120 degrees and let stand to finish which can increase the internal temperature by around 10 degrees. I cook mine at 450-500 degrees for 20 minutes and then bring down to 350 and cook to 123 degrees internal. After standing it is med-rare at a minimum. Have done 2 of these in the past 2 weeks. Bone in always preferred. Salt, White Pepper, Black Pepper and Thyme rubbed in with a little olive oil mixed with duck fat. Yum!

Will be interested in how your smoking goes. I like to hot smoke salmon but have not smoked a rib roast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've done it about every way you can: salt encrusted, high 550 degrees for 30 mins then shut off till done at 125 degree internal. Last year had the best I've ever had by cooking it the entire time at 210 degrees until 125, then pull from oven and rest for 30 mins or so, then back into the oven at 500 for 20 mins or so to color/crisp up the exterior. Perfectly medium rare from edge to edge. I put a pan underneath and for the 8 or so hours of cooking at 210 i think i may have had a few drops of juice/fat. I'll never cook it another way in an oven, it was that good.
    I too am smoking a prime rib this year, stick burner smoker though, and will do it at more typical beef temps, 220 or so. I've got a rub i like, primarily salt, pepper, onion and garlic, SPOG.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin75s View Post
    Internal temps referenced seem kind of high. A medium rare roast should be pull around 120 degrees and let stand to finish which can increase the internal temperature by around 10 degrees.
    yeah, after looking at temp ranges, i must've pulled min off at 130 and the temp was close to 140 after rest. if it were just me and my lady eating i would definitely pull it off at ~120.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rub was olive oil, sea salt, fresh ground pepper and a little paprika. On the smoker at 200 until 125ish. Hot oven to crisp up the crust. Tented for 20 min or so.

It was excellent.