Thread: Grinders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Grinders

They need their own thread. I'll start.

Beginning the search now. I have a Baratza Preciso that works, but I'd like to step up my game. The Preciso will likely stick around for Aeropress and pour over duties.

I have 2 doubles a day, and each time I pour in 18.4g of beans and only grind that amount. My hopper never has more than that single dose. I do this for 2 reasons - 1) it keeps my space clean and clear of random grinds, 2) it's consistent.

I would like to get away from this habit and into a grinder where I can dump all my beans, and dose appropriately, consistently...without the mess, which is a big deal to me.

Mazzer Minis get recommended universally. What say you all of the VSalon?
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Grinders

i would probably get a mazzer mini and move on.

a few thoughts here, i went from https://www.vanelis.com/Product.cfm?iProd=198 inexpensive grinder to what is basically a mazzer super jolly.
    there wasn't any huge difference in the shot quality. with the stepped adjuster grinder i was usually ok with adjustment at a certain point, if the roast were a little darker sometimes i'd adjust up a step, if extra light i'd adjust a step the other way. it was 90% of the time ok. but the stepless adjustment is more precise.

the big boy grinder has a doser. took some getting used to, was easy to overdose the filter. i figured it out pretty quick though. i use something flat and just scrape the coffee perfectly even with the top of the filter without packing or settling the grounds at all, it goes back into the doser, then i tamp. and that's exactly 19grams. i also figured out how to leave the minimum amount of grounds in the doser to minimize waste...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great coffee grinder topic! Will follow it carefully.
    Would love to enjoy grinding my own beans at home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a great at home grinder that i am seriously loving. I have worked in a lot of high end shops and this one kicks every bit as mich ass as any of the fancy stuff:
    its not cheap or expensive all things considered

Nuova Simonelli G60
    Nuova Simonelli G6 Espresso Grinder

easy to dial in
    easy to make fast changes
    cleans fine
    fast and quiet

and most important, it helps me pull some really good shots!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm using a MACAP. I fill it with beans and grind until I get what looks like 17/18 grams and done. What I LOVE about this grinder is stepless adjustment. Since my home roasted beans are quite moist at first the stepless grinder allows me to adjust in fine increments. Also, the motor is such a monster it could probably jumpstart my pick up truck...doubt it will ever die.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 on the Macap stepless. 11 years old and still going strong

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This grinder has been displayed on one of our kitchen shelves for a while and when I told my wife that I wanted to test the quality of the grind, I received "the look".
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't feel bad. For a few years we used a restored 1890's wall mounted coffee grinder. The results were quite good however our left arms started to hang lower and the funny looks from strangers....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What did you end up getting and how do you like it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wife got $7k in dental work, so....the grinder is on hold for a bit. we knew the dental work was coming, did not, however, expect it to be this intense.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been fiddling with my Porlex hoping I can get a decent espresso grind. The grind is ok not great. What does the hive say wrt hand grinders for espresso?

FWIIW I just found this >> https://www.precisionbean.com/coffee-grinder/ The reviews and comments are promising.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thought my Prolex did alright for espresso. Not amazing.

Then I got my Preciso.

Then it broke and I went back to the Porlex. Once. It has been limited to Aeropress and V60 duties since then.

It’s the only hand grinder I’ve ever used, though, so I can’t really say it’s any better or worse than every other HG out there.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone care to suggest an affordable burr grinder that does a decent medium or coarse grind? I currently have a bodum burr grinder and the coarse grind is essentially big chunks and lots of fine dust-very uneven. When this grinder dies, I would like to replace it with something better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darkone - For on the road french press I got a : Cuisinart Supreme Grind Burr Mill Coffee Grinder DBM-8 from fleabay ( 2208061979 ) for bubkes. I looked and there is a nice used one for $19. Really, it does not suck.

Update on the Porlex. I cleaned it, duh, now I'm pretty happy with the espresso grind abilities. Infact, if I adjust it to the lowest setting the grinds will clog the Flair completely. I'm using it at three clicks from full stop. Success.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
    Anyone care to suggest an affordable burr grinder that does a decent medium or coarse grind? I currently have a bodum burr grinder and the coarse grind is essentially big chunks and lots of fine dust-very uneven. When this grinder dies, I would like to replace it with something better.
    I only maunally brew my coffee, no machines, and have the equivalent to the Baratza Virtuoso, the Solis Maestro Plus (it's 12+ years old). The newer ones have been changed and are easy to change the burrs on (i have to change the gear box). Reasons to go Virtuoso over Encore is speed 2g v 1g/sec and timer... they have the same burrs IIRC

Refurbished Grinders Archives - Baratza

My next grinder will be of the commercial variety, I've decided that I can't determine how good my roasting is coming along if I can't make a good cup of coffee and my grinder is preventing that (waited to long to change the burrs)
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went with a refurb Virtuoso and I've been very happy with it. I'm not making espresso just aero or French press and pour over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found a Baratza Encore for $10 at some weird record and junk store out in the country.
    Didn't need it, but for the price i couldn't refuse it. turns out I'm using it for french press now and it does pretty OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    I found a Baratza Encore for $10 at some weird record and junk store out in the country.
    Didn't need it, but for the price i couldn't refuse it. turns out I'm using it for french press now and it does pretty OK.
    Ding ding ding. Before y'all ruined me that's what I was using. That did a very competent job for pour over and French Press.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spong No 3 Coffee Mill. I bought this when I went to university in 1970, at a time when most of my fellow students were drinking instant coffee. It is still going strong which is more than can be said for the company that made it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul,

What is the grind quality like?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast