User Tag List

Thread: Where to stay in London to get to Wembley Stadium

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Where to stay in London to get to Wembley Stadium

Splurge of the year, my wife and daughter will be spending a week in London this summer to visit monuments and museums...and see a certain pop star in concert at Wembley Stadium. I am trying to figure out which neighborhoods are located near public transportation to get to/from Wembley relatively quickly. I'd read that there's a train service (Chiltern Railways) that runs from Marylebone station to Wembley Stadium but am wondering if that's the best option when the concert gets out at midnight and 90,000 people are trying to get home.

Once I know the neighborhoods to aim for, we'll likely look for AirBnBs in them.

London experts, any advice would be welcome. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Where to stay in London to get to Wembley Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by sbornia View Post
    Splurge of the year, my wife and daughter will be spending a week in London this summer to visit monuments and museums...and see a certain pop star in concert at Wembley Stadium. I am trying to figure out which neighborhoods are located near public transportation to get to/from Wembley relatively quickly. I'd read that there's a train service (Chiltern Railways) that runs from Marylebone station to Wembley Stadium but am wondering if that's the best option when the concert gets out at midnight and 90,000 people are trying to get home.

Once I know the neighborhoods to aim for, we'll likely look for AirBnBs in them.

London experts, any advice would be welcome. Thanks!
    TFL (https://tfl.gov.uk/) will arrange for extended service with extra trains for the concert. You have Wembley Central with Bakerloo tube and Overground (a little farther) and Wembley Park with Jubilee and Metropolitan line tubes. I don't think you will have any issues. In fact, I usually find car with driver to be a bigger hassle as parking is restricted but that is for sporting events.

Jubilee will take you to Bond St, Green Park which is right by Hyde Park and St. James. You have a lot of hotels to chose from there from £££££££ to ££££££ (hotels are a bit steep right now)

Or Bakerloo will take you to Oxford St, Piccadilly, and Embankment.

Corinthia near Embankment is nice and refurbished.
    You have Hilton Park Lane, Intercontinental London Park Lane and Four Seasons London Park Lane all near Green Park.

I prefer the smaller hotels and always stayed at either the Jumeirah Lowndes or Halkin. If you stay the Jumeirah Lowndes, you could use the Jumeirah Carlton Tower Pool. The pool was super cool. All Stainless steel. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/105130972534151106/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Doug, good to know. Those are some beautiful hotels. For the moment, I've reserved a simple, clean apartment 5 minutes from the West Hampstead tube station, which would make the Jubilee line really easy to use. But if I can find something near Green Park that would be a nicer neighborhood for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have not been to Wembley, but have been to a sold out rugby game at Twickenham, and if it's monitored the same way, the train will be the best way back but would caution patience.
    It took us ages to get back to central London, but I recall there was a pretty well organized system of routing people through fenced chutes so there was no mad rush/push as you might expect given the size of the crowds and capacity of each departing train.

That said, DON'T watch the documentary on the 2020 (ie: 2021) Euro Final at Wembley before your visit!
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far away from London as possible!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The heath is great, and a nice huge green space. TFL is so convenient, you aren't that far from central London.
    I'd bring a swimsuit, just in case it is hot, you can swim in the heath pond. Harry Styles does, so can you.

We just ran into a couple last night from Utah with their daughter doing the high school graduation trip. The trip was one big tik-tok destination after destination. I assume your daughter will have a long list of things to do from TikTok, so plan ahead to figure out where you are going. You might as well plan the photo op at Abbey Road since you are in North London.

Your daughter will probably want the chocolate covered strawberries at Borough Market.

We just had Dortmund- Real Madrid Champions League Final last Saturday at Wembley. It was fine. You will be dealing with Tweens not lager louts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've found the rooms above the Young's pubs to be a good value. Moderately priced, clean, boutique-ish but not fancy, and there's food and cask ale downstairs (which generally keeps the loud young people away). Most are in SW though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    TFL is so convenient, you aren't that far from central London.

I assume your daughter will have a long list of things to do from TikTok, so plan ahead to figure out where you are going.

You will be dealing with Tweens not lager louts.
    The West Hampstead tube station is apparently 12 minutes from Wembley Park and about 10 minutes to Bond St. Easy enough. I think that being near Baker Street would be more convenient to get to the airport, but since the place I found is only $200/night for a well-reviewed, one-bed with outdoor patio, it's hard to rationalize places that are 2X-3X more expensive right now.

Kiddo is social media-free so far, so aside from going to the TS concert, she and my wife will check out some historical sites and the Tate or British Museum. Maybe do some window shopping in posh neighborhoods just for fun. Or I could ask them to visit a bike shop and bring back a souvenir water bottle...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't been back to London in a while, but I used to enjoy breakfast at Spitalfelds Market and then walk to Whitechapel Gallery for a dose of art. The latter always seems to present very interesting shows. Even when I know the artist and don't think highly of them, the curatorial approach often very deft - skillful and subtle - and I leave having learned something. I usually went on Thursday because that was the first weekday Whitechapel was open, but I see that they are open all week except Monday now.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure the King has a room or two free at Buckingham Palace...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The West Hampstead tube station is apparently 12 minutes from Wembley Park and about 10 minutes to Bond St. Easy enough. I think that being near Baker Street would be more convenient to get to the airport, but since the place I found is only $200/night for a well-reviewed, one-bed with outdoor patio, it's hard to rationalize places that are 2X-3X more expensive right now.

Kiddo is social media-free so far, so aside from going to the TS concert, she and my wife will check out some historical sites and the Tate or British Museum. Maybe do some window shopping in posh neighborhoods just for fun. Or I could ask them to visit a bike shop and bring back a souvenir water bottle...
    You should go to Brick Lane. You can get water bottles for your bike at Nude Coffee Roasters. https://www.nudeespresso.com/
    I think the graffiti all along the area is pretty neat plus the vintage shops are fun. Some of Stik's stuff is still around.
    https://www.christies.com/en/artists...rtby=relevance

You can buy the best madeleines in London at St. John's Bakery to munch while you are walking in Bricklane

Finally, if you have a nice day, head to Richmond. You can rent a row boat for the Thames and visit Ham House. Ham House is interesting since you can actually go into the servant quarters and hallways and see how crap their spaces were in the great houses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all, great stuff. Ended up booking a newly renovated flat on a quiet street in between Marylebone and Baker St. stations. Should make getting around everywhere pretty easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My very first time visiting London, I stayed in the Landmark Hotel and used Marylebone station daily. Fond memories of that trip.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all, great stuff. Ended up booking a newly renovated flat on a quiet street in between Marylebone and Baker St. stations. Should make getting around everywhere pretty easy.
    You can run in Regent Park, and you can watch all the cyclists turn laps with the stop lights. I never get the Regent Park thing.

You might as well walk across the Regent's and up Primrose Hill. It's a nice view of London on a nice day.

Finally, phone theft is rampant here. There are two styles- 1. the bike snatch and grab while walking along the street, posing for a selfie or standing at a intersection looking for direction. 2. Usual a woman with paper asking for help pretending to speak poor english will approach you in a fast food restaurant. She will place the paper on the table over your food or something else to distract you, and poof your phone will be gone if left on the table top. They usually have a scarf or cap on which they take off when exiting to disappear in the crowd. It will happen at a Nandos, Marugame and fast casual dining spot.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ice-crash.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    You can run in Regent Park, and you can watch all the cyclists turn laps with the stop lights. I never get the Regent Park thing.

You might as well walk across the Regent's and up Primrose Hill. It's a nice view of London on a nice day.

Finally, phone theft is rampant here. There are two styles- 1. the bike snatch and grab while walking along the street, posing for a selfie or standing at a intersection looking for direction. 2. Usual a woman with paper asking for help pretending to speak poor english will approach you in a fast food restaurant. She will place the paper on the table over your food or something else to distract you, and poof your phone will be gone if left on the table top. They usually have a scarf or cap on which they take off when exiting to disappear in the crowd. It will happen at a Nandos, Marugame and fast casual dining spot.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ice-crash.html
    Thanks for this. I’ll share it with my kid, who will be in London later this year. She walks around NYC with her phone in a back pocket.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast