Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In London - what should we do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default In London - what should we do?

We landed a few hours ago. I was last here in 1987. My wife has never been here. We are staying near Buckinham Palace and we have all the tourist stuff covered. We are here until Sunday for a non-bike vacation and then off to Paris.

What are the things that locals or frequent travelers would recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: In London - what should we do?

Home | Look Mum No Hands!

Great little cycling cafe / shop if you're in the area.
    -Matthew Broadbent

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Posh dinner? Asia de Cuba is just off Trafalgar Square, and is bloody amazing.

Borough Markets on a Saturday morning is worth a visit, as is the stroll along the South Bank to get there (chorizo roll from Brindisa is well worth a try). Grab a coffee from Monmouth whilst you're there.

Gordon's, just off the Embankment, is lovely for a drink.

Hanging out by the river in Richmond is lovely - and not far from Kew Gardens, if you happen to be going west. Then you can pop along to East Sheen and visit Pearson Performance (the last bike shop I managed before we left for Aus). If you're in that area, Richmond Park is also worth a look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Walk around. So much to see. Doesn't really matter where. A feast for the eyes! Such a great city. Enjoy.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been to Gordon's several times, very cool place and lovely patio too if the evening weather is nice. I always try to get to Hola Paella in Covent Garden for a dish of paella and some live opera. I've been to London many times and one of my favorite things is, just being in London! It's a wonderful city day and night. Be sure to get out at night, just walk around and take it in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Covent Garden w/ all the trendy shops and near by museums like the National Portrait Gallery. If you like museums, Tate Modern.. Even if you don't , museums atract nice cafes and shops around. That would be south London. Then you've ghot West: Holland Park and Portobello Road. It's a walking city.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go see the stage adaptation of 1984. Best theater in the world, and that is an amazing play.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picnic on Primrose hill is great if the weather is good. Greenwich is nice, especially Greenwich Market. River path in Richmond as Rich mentioned is great, lots of restaurants with nice terraces. Carnaby street, 7 Dials/Covent Garden, Westbourne Grove are great for shopping. Best spot for a drink? White Horse in Parson's Green is nice. Best pancakes I have ever had at The Engineer in Primrose Hill. Will post more later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Visit Condor Cycles.
    Hyde Park Speakers corner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm assuming you are there to see Harry Potter And The Cursed Child not sure there is anything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brick Lane Bikes in East London/Shoreditch. An amazing assortment of italian steel frames including many one-offs. Want a red Colnago built for the Russian track team? Like Rossins or an unbranded Pegorretti? Yeah, they have stuff like that. Don't mind the hipsters, its just a look...they are bike geeks at their core.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Photographer's Gallery - The Photographers' Gallery | The Photographers' Gallery Several of the best art shows I've seen ever have been here.

Whitechapel Gallery - Whitechapel Gallery - the artists’ gallery for everyone. Some of the others have been here.

Wagamama - Yes it is a chain and there is one in Boston, but the London venues are great escapes from the bustle.

Abeno Too - About ABENO TOO / Covent Garden Great little Japanese omelet shop. The restaurant, Abeno, is good also.

Daunt Books Marylebone - Daunt Books Marylebone Stock up on travel literature (not just guide books, but those also.) Where I bought a brand new copy of Bruce Chatwin's Songlines on recommendation from the lady working there quite a while ago.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People watch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go check out Maltby street market as well. Not as big as borough, but a different vibe. You'll need to do your homework as to location and hours. My pal took us to little bird for a gin drink. Local small gin producer, quite tasty. Funky spot to say the least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If a day trip is in the offing, visit Cliff Polton at Royce, UK. His stuff is jewel-like.

Cliff Polton
    Royce UK Ltd
    Unit 13f
    Queensway
    New Milton
    Hampshire
    BH25 5NN
    UK

+ 44 (0)1425 620062
    Royce Uk

It's ~100 miles SW, near Bournemouth.

Get me a QR skewer, which I can frame and put on the wall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look right

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really appreciate the recommendations.

We may try to visit some of the bike shops but I am not sure we will make it to Royce because while my wife loves to ride she can take only so many bike shops at a time and we do not want to rent a car. The food suggestions are helpful and we will try a few of them. The markets are on the schedule for Saturday. Anything remotely cultural is a must (museums, west end shows, book stores).

We left plans up in the air so we could enjoy the vacation with feeling stuck to a rigid plan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post

We may try to visit some of the bike shops but I am not sure we will make it to Royce because while my wife loves to ride she can take only so many bike shops at a time and we do not want to rent a car. The food suggestions are helpful and we will try a few of them. The markets are on the schedule for Saturday. Anything remotely cultural is a must (museums, west end shows, book stores).

We left plans up in the air so we could enjoy the vacation with feeling stuck to a rigid plan.
    Forgot to add that we ended up in the seventh circle of hell today. Our bags are still in Boston and nobody has an idea when they will be put on a plane to London. Someone recommended we go to Primark and get a few clothing essentials. I have never been in a more depressing, crowded, messy place with rude customers who have no sense of personal space. We did not need to go to Harrods but somebody could have suggested a local Gap store. Primark is a London experience I hope to soon forget.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a small cycling brand from England called Rapha; I heard they sell nice magazines, sweaters, and sometimes jeans.

Maybe find one of their shops?

<ducks>

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post

Whitechapel gallery.. a must. Serpentine Gallery in Hyde Park. Tate Modern just because it's the contemporary art super store.Photographer's gallery. The South Bank w/ it's cinema, galleries etc... Most of all> look at people and how cool they can be in London.
    slow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast