Thread: Humility.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Humility.

Its a bitch.

My girlfriend is at a birthday thing for a coworker. Turns out another coworker's boyfriend was in the high school band with me. I was a senior and he was brought in to play from the junior high. I can't remember for sure, but I probably didn't pay him much mind. Well, he remembers me well. He lives in Brooklyn, just a couple of stops away on the G train. I'm breaking even on bars gigs in and the occasional tour these days. He's touring as the drummer for Stevie Wonder. Wonder if he gives lessons...
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Humility.

Yeah, but...

Would you rather be touring in Stevie Wonder's band, playing what I imagine would be a really constrained and routine role, or would you rather have the creativity and collaboration that you get with your band?

I bet we both know the answer. Money is nice to have, but you gotta be true to yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dewd. Reach down and grab em will yah?!!! Chase, you have literally powdered the B hinds of people more famous than you can care to mention...you rule. Why on earth would a random acquaintence's accomplishments make you feel less than ok? Dewd.

A penance I've got a new topic for you in your forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty happy with my current set-up. If I wanted bigger gigs, I would have to be more comfortable playing by the rules. Playing someone else's songs their way for a year or so is not worth putting my life on hold. I get this, and I'm not really down in the dumps about it.

As far as skill, I' of the opinion I can always be better. Nothing wrong with talking to someone else and seeing what I can take away from the conversation. Worst case scenario, its not worth the time. Best case, I pick up something useful.

As for the people I've worked for, well, that's not the kind of thing I'm comfortable talking openly about. Sure, I can joke with friends; but I'm not going to spill any secrets on a larger scale. Discretion is just part of the gig. Maybe one day I'll feel differently. I'm sure I could get a good book out of it (not gonna happen). But running to TMZ to air someone else's laundry is not for me. Besides, the seedier clients always pay in cash.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright