Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wetsuit recommendations

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wetsuit recommendations

I want to get Amie a wetsuit for Christmas. She did some surfing this summer and took a liking to it.

I know we have at least one surfer here.

She is 5'3", weighs about 105, and her normal body temp is only about 97 degrees, so she is always cold.

Mostly going to be surfing on the East Coast, NJ more than anywhere.

I welcome your input on sizing, neoprene weight, etc. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wetsuit recommendations

Unless you're planning on surfing fully year round, a 3/2 will work- anything thicker than that is for cold weather and really limits mobility. I've used a 3/2 in NJ in mid-winter, with snow on the beach and been 'ok' enough to surf for 45 minutes. Nice to haves are booties, a thermal vest, and gloves- probably in that order.

I'm partial to Xcel- they make good wetsuits and seem to fly a little under the radar compared to the O'Neill's and Billabongs of the world. That said, I haven't bought one in years so I don't know what all the cool kats are wearing these days. I will say however, to go with one that has the split/overlapping back (think running shorts) and the cowl that goes over the head with the short, horizontal front zip, rather than the full back zip. Way more comfortable, and one less area of water entry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice. I will check out Xcel. Is a wetsuit practical to buy as a gift? Or would it be like trying to figure out what bibs to buy for someone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'll second excel. good quality not through the roof $$wise. if there is a solid surf shop near home, you might just stop in and drop the credit card-then let her go in, get advice, try a cple on, pick one. not as much fun as opening xmas am, but no margin for error either. if she will only be in the water, say, mid may to end sept, she can get away w/a thinner diameter that is easy to get on and off and permits full mobility and it might get her in the water more, surfing or not. i use my suits lots, not just for surfing and it really gives you more access to the ocean, which is just a hoot!
    you're not the lord of the flies