Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portable Water Filtration

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Portable Water Filtration

On the heels of Darren's tent thread I thought I'd ask this. Can anyone school me on small water filters suitable for back/bike packing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Portable Water Filtration

I have a First Need XL (now XLE) and a Katadyn Hiker PRO. Both are fine for <2 week backpacking and canoeing trips. I prefer filtering to chemical treatment, personally, unless I'm going SUL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a steripen. I am more concerned with microorganisms than any other impurities. Steripen will take care of that completely and some models come with a micropore filter as well. BRING NEW BATTERIES.

I have found that my steripen is requires new high output batteries, my old rechargables just could not do it.
    [email protected]

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dhoff View Post
    I use a steripen. I am more concerned with microorganisms than any other impurities. Steripen will take care of that completely and some models come with a micropore filter as well. BRING NEW BATTERIES.

I have found that my steripen is requires new high output batteries, my old rechargables just could not do it.
    I've read that some of these filters remove bacteria and some viruses. Is that different than your steripen?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    I have a First Need XL (now XLE) and a Katadyn Hiker PRO. Both are fine for <2 week backpacking and canoeing trips. I prefer filtering to chemical treatment, personally, unless I'm going SUL.
    Katadyn with the occasional jolt of iodine work well for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I've read that some of these filters remove bacteria and some viruses. Is that different than your steripen?
    My understanding and I hope that if it is wrong someone will correct me, is that filters remove SOME microorganisms that may cause illness. I am interested in ALL of them. Very little that might be found in a rural environment concerns me more than the microbes that cause severe illness. I have made the error in the past and what was never properly diagnosed but was referred to as "dysentery" was one of the most horrible experiences of my life.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dump the filters.
    aquamira is what you want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UV Pens vs. Filters:

UV Pen Pros:
    Lighter weight & better packability
    Deals with viruses (most non-purifier filters don't)
    Fast/Easy

UV Pen Cons:
    Reliant on batteries
    Potentially less reliable (though I think this is mostly people not reading the manual)
    Doesn't work well in particle-filled water
    Cold water impacts battery life and effectiveness

Filter Pros:
    No non-mechanical dependencies
    Reliable
    Can filter relatively large volumes
    Filters cloudy water (i.e. non-microbial contaminants)
    Water temperature has no impact on efficacy

Filter Cons:
    Large/bulky
    Don't generally work with viruses
    Require assembly/pumping/dissasembly

For me, family/group/extended trip (>3-4 days) backpacking says "filter." For solo trips, a Steripen would be a good choice, but I just use chemical tabs in those cases. I can deal with the taste. (And admittedly, I've drunk my share of unfiltered water too... I figure Giardia takes at least a week... and I'll be at work by then.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not an expert on all the different models and types out there, but I do depend frequently on my now 20 year old Katadyn with a silver-embedded ceramic filter. This is pretty much standard equipment for expat field workers in developing countries and disaster areas. Mine has kept me alive and healthy (at least from water sourced bugs)- it was issued to me for Peace Corps and saw near daily use for 3 years, and I've used it countless times ever since when working where cholera and other water borne diseases are no joke- and it's worked fine for backpacking/camping as well. I have filtered water from roadside mud puddles in desperation and didn't die. I've probably replaced the filter around 5 times- they last a long time if you can keep them free from silt- let the water settle before you pump if you can. They're not cheap, and they're not light either, but they work- ask yourself what it's worth to prevent having a trip shortened by an exploding gut or worse. The katadyne isn't cheap but I think you get what you pay for- carbon based filters are lighter and cheaper, but I wouldn't trust them if the water source is in a partially developed or agricultural watershed. FWIW, a bottle of iodine pills (better than chlorine) is cheap and light for just emergency or occasional use- you don't normally get too far into the wilderness on a bicycle. A tip if you're really stuck- 5 ml of laundry bleach per liter of water usually works fine in a pinch if the water is clear to begin with. A bic pen cap is about 5 ml.

Saratoga Springs, New York, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've hiked with a Steripen and an old MSR filter. For water with sediment, I'd go with the filter, otherwise the Steripen was quick and easy. It always gets tossed in the pack anytime I go hiking in case of emergency. The biggest downside is it requires batteries.

Some good information and reviews on available water filters.

How to Choose the Best Backpacking Water Purification - OutdoorGearLab

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UV Pens vs. Filters:

UV Pen Pros:
    Lighter weight & better packability
    Deals with viruses (most non-purifier filters don't)
    Fast/Easy

UV Pen Cons:
    Reliant on batteries
    Potentially less reliable (though I think this is mostly people not reading the manual)
    Doesn't work well in particle-filled water
    Cold water impacts battery life and effectiveness

Filter Pros:
    No non-mechanical dependencies
    Reliable
    Can filter relatively large volumes
    Filters cloudy water (i.e. non-microbial contaminants)
    Water temperature has no impact on efficacy

Filter Cons:
    Large/bulky
    Don't generally work with viruses
    Require assembly/pumping/dissasembly

For me, family/group/extended trip (>3-4 days) backpacking says "filter." For solo trips, a Steripen would be a good choice, but I just use chemical tabs in those cases. I can deal with the taste. (And admittedly, I've drunk my share of unfiltered water too... I figure Giardia takes at least a week... and I'll be at work by then.)

This is a good list- but I would add a couple of points:

UV Pens: do not kill all pathogens, many are temporarily "de-activated"- UV water must be stored in the dark to avoid regeneration of viruses. It should also be noted that UV light is approved by the EPA and Red Cross for water treatment, but only in larger plants- using a lot of energy. The battery powered portables are a mixed bag and are not tested and approved for their effectiveness- as has been noted any cloudiness in the H2O will affect their potency.

Also- keep in mind that water treated with chemicals needs to sit- for as long as 4 hours ( for chlorine, shorter for iodine) to be effective. A long time to carry water that you can't use while you're thirsty.

Also- Giardia can express in as little as 24 hours. And I will take slaving away in the cubicle over exploding at both ends over a toilet any day. Although it's a reliable weight loss strategy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenNMotion View Post
    Also- keep in mind that water treated with chemicals needs to sit- for as long as 4 hours ( for chlorine, shorter for iodine) to be effective. A long time to carry water that you can't use while you're thirsty.
    This is true, but I've never actually found it to be an issue backpacking. If you're soloing and carrying at least 2l of water, you can treat one while you drink from the other.

Also- Giardia can express in as little as 24 hours. And I will take slaving away in the cubicle over exploding at both ends over a toilet any day. Although it's a reliable weight loss strategy.
    Yeah, it was a little joke. But honestly, say in the High Sierras, so long as you know about cattle ranges, you can pretty safely drink unfiltered water. I did it for 10 years without any ill effects. Backpacking in the US, I actually think 90%+ of stomach illnesses are caught by people who are exercising poor hygiene, not from contaminated water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is true, but I've never actually found it to be an issue backpacking. If you're soloing and carrying at least 2l of water, you can treat one while you drink from the other.

Yeah, it was a little joke. But honestly, say in the High Sierras, so long as you know about cattle ranges, you can pretty safely drink unfiltered water. I did it for 10 years without any ill effects. Backpacking in the US, I actually think 90%+ of stomach illnesses are caught by people who are exercising poor hygiene, not from contaminated water.
    Yeah, gotcha, a lot depends on the environment, I wouldn't worry about treatment at all if I were at high enough altitude- it's mostly snowmelt, but there are few places like that accessible to bicycles as per Jonathon's OP. But I was thinking of places like Africa or S. Asia, or even farm country in the US- great bikepacking destinations, but the water makes you go ewwwww... Of course, a viable option for just about anywhere in the world is always the ubiquitous coca-cola or local beer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never used a pen so I don't know what I'm missing there. I have an old MSR filter than has been absolutely bomb-proof over the years. I also agree with zenNMotion that Katadyn is the standard by which all filters are judged. I've got one of their 5-gal gravity filters that I took to Ukraine with me, I'm sure that thing saved my life at somepoint...
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, you guys rock. Yeah, my bro and I are planning 1000 miles on the divide next summer. We will need more water than we will be able to buy. I suspect we will have access to streams every day except for the Great Basin, but there is quite a bit of livestock too. I've read the reviews, but frankly when people with knowledge share some experiences(peace corps) it puts the products in a usable context. I also think we will start to section hike the AT as a family. 2-3 days at a time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Man, you guys rock. Yeah, my bro and I are planning 1000 miles on the divide next summer. We will need more water than we will be able to buy. I suspect we will have access to streams every day except for the Great Basin, but there is quite a bit of livestock too. I've read the reviews, but frankly when people with knowledge share some experiences(peace corps) it puts the products in a usable context. I also think we will start to section hike the AT as a family. 2-3 days at a time.
    For that, you could probably get away with one of the better carbon filters- I'd just be more careful around livestock areas and after heavy rains, you can always pre-treat with iodine where you have reason to be concerned and then use the carbon filter to remove some/most of the taste of the iodine. The Katadyn is heavy (though not so much when compared with carrying treated water that's "cooking") and it's the best long term investment if you think you have use for a filter with any frequency in the future. It would be a useful tool if you're contemplating a lifestyle change to a bearded framebuilding mountain man/CPA. Somewhere I have a photo of a Sherpa in Nepal hauling 2 X 100+ lb acetylene tanks on his back up a steep trail above 12,000 ft. So it can be done-

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For that, you could probably get away with one of the better carbon filters- I'd just be more careful around livestock areas and after heavy rains, you can always pre-treat with iodine where you have reason to be concerned and then use the carbon filter to remove some/most of the taste of the iodine. The Katadyn is heavy (though not so much when compared with carrying treated water that's "cooking") and it's the best long term investment if you think you have use for a filter with any frequency in the future. It would be a useful tool if you're contemplating a lifestyle change to a bearded framebuilding mountain man/CPA. Somewhere I have a photo of a Sherpa in Nepal hauling 2 X 100+ lb acetylene tanks on his back up a steep trail above 12,000 ft. So it can be done-
    I do have a fantasy of relocating and using the transition to through hike the AT. I've started welding so I can cut the load from oxy/fuel to just one argon tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For that, you could probably get away with one of the better carbon filters- I'd just be more careful around livestock areas and after heavy rains, you can always pre-treat with iodine where you have reason to be concerned and then use the carbon filter to remove some/most of the taste of the iodine.
    I am missing something here. Why "get away with" carbon, when a Steripen handles these issues completely? I keep it in my saddlebag on long rides just in case. It weighs little and you just need to change the batteries every once in a while.

I can understand wanting something else if you are going to be away from battery sources for months at a time. But if you are going to hit a town every 1000 liters of water or so, you are all set.

-d
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lots of iodine products aren't available anymore. i know i've got a stockpile of polar pure...

dea forced lots of manufacturers to close because iodine is a key component of meth manufacturing, or so i hear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast