Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Watches

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Watches

I feel slightly uncomfortable asking this, but is it "ok" to wear a nice watch on a club ride? In the '80's I ruined my stainless Rolex( purchased in '77). In 1987 my wife bought me a Presidential 18k and I wore it on rides for years. I think that most of my fellow riders had no idea of its' value. By the way, I ride mostly steel,lugged bikes. I have no appreciation of $12,000 to $14,000 carbon bikes.
    Don C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Watches

Wait, what?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would not wear my '68 Omega speedmaster on a ride.too risky.too heavy.
    -Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't. The risk is to high for damage in a crash. Plus depending on the vibration from the road and the actual design of the watch it could damage the movement. YMMV of course.

conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldnt ride with that watch at all. both because of the vibration issues and the potential of crashing and totally chewing up that watch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wear my IWC 3251 pretty much all the time. But on the bike I wear a Timex Ironman. Damaging the IWC in a crash would bum me out, even though I haven't crashed since 1987.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what they are for, to be worn. I wear my IWC Aquatimer or Rolex GMT Master all the time when I ride . I mostly ride alone and hardly ever race , if I ride with others or race I'll wear my Seiko as the likely hood of crashing increases.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't typically wear my "good" watch on a ride but not because I am afraid to but it has a metal bracelet and is fairly heavy. My "ride" watch has a rubber band that is just more comfortable.

IMHO, a nice watch and a great bike belong together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dpcompt View Post
    I think that most of my fellow riders had no idea of its' value.
    Not following why this matters.

BTW, if you mean "is it safe" by "is it 'ok'" then no, why risk a scrape, and vibrations/road chatter aren't your friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always in good taste....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't stand riding with a watch, any watch. It gets in the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the watch is lugged and has complimentary paint it's a go. Otherwise it's a major fashion faux pas and it's very fortunate you asked. I'm frequently at a loss deciding what to wear depending on whether I take the Aston Martin or the Ferrari. But when I put the Chris Craft in each year up at the Vineyard I know exactly which timepiece comes with: the Omega Sea Food looks fine on my wrist steering out of the slip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    If the watch is lugged and has complimentary paint it's a go. Otherwise it's a major fashion faux pas and it's very fortunate you asked. I'm frequently at a loss deciding what to wear depending on whether I take the Aston Martin or the Ferrari. But when I put the Chris Craft in each year up at the Vineyard I know exactly which timepiece comes with: the Omega Sea Food looks fine on my wrist steering out of the slip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Saab,

I've got a lead on a Patek Phillipe pocketwatch. Would compliment your ordinary high-wheeler nicely.

Hey, was that you flying that silver tube i was on yesterday from CLT to PVD? Felt like a Ballers Ride decent on the approach in to PVD. Practicing for D2R2?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
    Saab,

I've got a lead on a Patek Phillipe pocketwatch. Would compliment your ordinary high-wheeler nicely.

Hey, was that you flying that silver tube i was on yesterday from CLT to PVD? Felt like a Ballers Ride decent on the approach in to PVD. Practicing for D2R2?
    Not me. I was in PVD the other day tho from PHL and passing Long Island we had to go through some weather that was sort of Baller-esque. Now I'm sitting on a plane in Detroit waiting for my quick flight home.

The Rapha trousers and Rapha tweed blazer will be nic on my penny farthing ride this afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread has to be a wind up. Is it ok to wear an expensive watch on a club ride? Holy dogshit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I move to move this from the moved list to the removed list..........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
    Saab,

Please tell us of the Patek. Hunter case? What size? What movement? TELL...TEL...TELLL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bertiewhang View Post
    This thread has to be a wind up. Is it ok to wear an expensive watch on a club ride? Holy dogshit.
    Yeah, but it's an excuse for some watch-centric tangents. I've inadvertently worn some nice watches in some not very nice circumstances. After packing up all my prized possessions for a long term deployment, I arrived in Bosnia in December 1995 wearing my tag formula under my thermals. I wore it the whole year I was down there, it kept perfect time and never gave me any grief at all. When we re-deployed back to Germany at the end of 1996 I dropped it onto a concrete floor from about nine feet; dislodging the second hand and chipping the bezel. It took me three or four years to send it back to Tag.

I've finished cold weather mountain bike races (with long sleeves) and found I was still wearing a "nice" watch; these days that's a platinum yachtmaster. That watch has had some unplanned adventures too. I've gone from dinner to crime scenes (while on-call) and ended up crawling and climbing into all sorts of nasty urban hidey holes. The beauty of these watches is that they're made to take the abuse. That generally doesn't make me feel better when I look down at my wrist and realise I didn't swap in my G-shock on my way to a job. As for the nice watch on a club ride, I wouldn’t think twice seeing a valuable watch on a fellow rider. However, if you’re concerned enough to ask perhaps you should leave the watch at home on group rides

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dpcompt View Post
    I feel slightly uncomfortable asking this, but is it "ok" to wear a nice watch on a club ride? In the '80's I ruined my stainless Rolex( purchased in '77). In 1987 my wife bought me a Presidential 18k and I wore it on rides for years. I think that most of my fellow riders had no idea of its' value. By the way, I ride mostly steel,lugged bikes. I have no appreciation of $12,000 to $14,000 carbon bikes.
    Don C.
    I kind of hope this is a joke!
    If it isn't, Why wouldn't you want to wear your Day-Date on a club ride? BTW; There is no such watch as a presidential, That term according to rolex refers to the type of bracelet.
    It's just a watch and made to be worn. The models 118238, and the older 18239 all the way back to 1804' s all have very robust movements and heavey beefy cases. They were made to be worn.

I would also like to know how you ruined your 77? I have many rolexes that date back as far as 57 and all can be repaired or restored. Most times by rolex themselves. If not anyone of 1000's of repair men.

The vibration factor is no factor. Test pilots and race car drivers have been wearing these watches for about 50 years with little to none ill results.
    You think the vibration on a club ride would be greater than these? Please remind me NOT to go on a club ride with you! :)

If you have a 68 Speedy, pre-moon. I wouldn't take that. That watch can not be fixed easily. No parts are made for it and parts are getting hard to find.

Wear your watch in good health and ride heck out of your bike.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast