User Tag List

Thread: Rake & Trail adaptation, and chainline

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rake & Trail adaptation, and chainline

I'm building a replica in carbon of a Tesch S-22 from the early 90s. These were super short-wheelbase crit bikes, using steep angles and short rake forks. I'm updating the design to accommodate flat mount disc brakes and 28c tires, which is causing issues with my efforts to replicate the bikes most accurately. Most glaringly, I'm looking at making some serious compromises to replicate the trail and wheelbase of the 56cm Tesch original. That one had a 35mm rake fork and a 73.5 deg head angle, yielding a trail of about 61mm with 21c tires.

To achieve the same thing on my bike, I tried redrawing the bike with the same front center and trail (compensating for bigger tires, as well), I wound up having to use a 72.5 degree head angle with a 43mm rake fork. 72.5 just feels dirty to build with at this size, however if it yields the frame geometry I'm going for, do I really have anything to worry about? I guess at the very least, I'll be able to look super-cool with my long stem.

On a somewhat unrelated note, if I try and keep the chainstays as close to the 385mm original, am I asking for a world of pain with regards to crosschaining, even with the new Ultegra stuff, which is optimized for shorter (410mm nominally) stays?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rake & Trail adaptation, and chainline

Yes..
    Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic