Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Grand Canyon Rafting Trips - Request for Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Grand Canyon Rafting Trips - Request for Recommendations

I've always wanted to raft through the Grand Canyon, and may get around to doing it this year. Looked online and it looks like there are lots of choices for tour companies. Do people have particular recommendations for:

(1) tour companies (don't think we're intrepid enough to arrange it ourselves);
    (2) motorized vs. rowing vs. paddling (wife weighs 98 lbs soaking wet and I have the spindly upper body of a pro cyclist, so full paddling probably isn't ideal; on the other hand, we want to get exercise on the trip); and
    (3) time of year to go (looks like shoulder seasons are a lot more reasonable in terms of air temperature; on the other hand, if you go in August and get hot, can't you just jump in the river?)?

Also, how much should we expect to pay? We're probably looking at a 7-9 day trip, and roll much closer to Motel 6 than to the Ritz Carlton. We want the money to go toward friendly, fun guides and to enjoy the experience.

Would certainly appreciate any thoughts people have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Grand Canyon Rafting Trips - Request for Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by jonnycomelately View Post
    I've always wanted to raft through the Grand Canyon, and may get around to doing it this year. Looked online and it looks like there are lots of choices for tour companies. Do people have particular recommendations for:

(1) tour companies (don't think we're intrepid enough to arrange it ourselves);
    (2) motorized vs. rowing vs. paddling (wife weighs 98 lbs soaking wet and I have the spindly upper body of a pro cyclist, so full paddling probably isn't ideal; on the other hand, we want to get exercise on the trip); and
    (3) time of year to go (looks like shoulder seasons are a lot more reasonable in terms of air temperature; on the other hand, if you go in August and get hot, can't you just jump in the river?)?

Also, how much should we expect to pay? We're probably looking at a 7-9 day trip, and roll much closer to Motel 6 than to the Ritz Carlton. We want the money to go toward friendly, fun guides and to enjoy the experience.

Would certainly appreciate any thoughts people have.
    I am your guy. I worked in the industry for years, and I'm rowing it for the 2nd time in May.
    You do not want to row it. You would not even make it through the lottery as you have no experience (no offense meant)

That said, if you have friends who do row, then maybe you can pull it off..............keeping in mind you will be doing some of the biggest water in the world.

I think first you need to look into booking a trip - it will be more enjoyable!
    Try Arizona Raft Adventures - AZRA first. I'd also look into Hatch River Expeditions, and O.A.R.S. - all have their own flavour.
    I'd definately go for a rowing trip - expect 16 days, not including the shuttle(s).
    I dislike motor trips. "what's the sound of a canyon wren on a motor trip? WWWWWWAAAAAHHHHHHHHH-WWWWWAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!-WWWWWWWAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!
    Price? I dunno. I've always done private trips, and you end up dropping $1500.00 per person after all the beer is bought.

Any season but the middle of winter is great. it can be cold. Hot? get in the river!
    I have seen 118F* in the shade in August.
    PS - there is the best hiking in the world. - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much. This is fantastic info. I'll look into these and see what we can figure out. Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garro knows but I second azra. Great folks. Great service.

They found out that one of the folks had their bday while on the river. Outta nowhere they created bday party w/ cake. Fun times. Great memories. Awesome views.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a blog link from our trip, click on the picasa link for gobs of pics that will show you exactly what to expect: http://coconinocycles.blogspot.com/2...nd-canyon.html - Garro
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jonnycomelately View Post
    (2) motorized vs. rowing vs. paddling (wife weighs 98 lbs soaking wet and I have the spindly upper body of a pro cyclist, so full paddling probably isn't ideal; on the other hand, we want to get exercise on the trip)
    Concept2 rowing machine (Link) will fix that in no time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Concept2 rowing machine (Link) will fix that in no time.
    Yeah - do that!
    - Garro
    www.coconinocycles.com