Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping bag recommendations

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sleeping bag recommendations

I've been using an EMS 35 degree rated synthetic bag for 10 years now and think I'm finally ready to spend some money on something better. What spurred this is the realization that I can get a bag with the same temperature rating (probably down) but a full pound lighter than what I have now (or if I wanted to spend an incredible sum of money I could get one under a pound).

So this is the challenge, should you choose to accept it:

-Temp rating around 32-35 fahrenheit. Based on my reading about the EN standard this could be the "lower limit" value.
    -Weight of 1-1.5 lbs (500-650 grams or so).
    -Oh and I'm kind of long so need about 75"/188cm of length, which sometimes is a regular and sometimes is a long bag.
    -Preferably hooded, unless you can convince me I don't need a hood, but I dig the coccooned feeling of having one.

If I had all the money in the world I'd just order a Western Mountaineering bag for $300+ but I'm sure that somewhere out there in the land of internet clearance sites and gear messageboards there is a bag waiting for me at less than $200 that meets these criteria.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Sleeping bag recommendations

Check steepandcheep and theclimb.com for some decent deals on last years models.

I'm drooling over one of these: Sierra Designs Bed-Style Sleeping Bags | Backcountry Bed & Quilt
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lukasz, I have a Western Mountaineering Summerlite 6'6" Right Zip. I bought it the week before a trip and TnT only had right zips in stock. I prefer a left zip. It's been used approximately 14 nights and is in great shape. I could sell it for $300 (and go buy a left zip). BTW, that's the bag you want. I LOVE IT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

check out gear trade: Used Sleeping Bags | Buy & Sell Camping Sleeping Bags | GearTrade.com

An excellent site with lots of goodies. Not all of their gear is used. Some of it is brand new or someone returned it and tags are still attached.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the climb, leftlane sports, have some smokin deals on gear in general and are a great resource. They also tend to have 20-30% off sales every month or two. Left lane has a nice Sierra Designs down bag on there right now that's $279. If its there when they have a sale, it could be your holy grail at 19oz. and 30° rating.

Edit: In the interest in fulll disclosure, There's an incentive program and the links above are my personal "invite" links. If you don't care to help me out, google brings up the sites. If I'm out of line posting these links, please disable them.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the sites dudes. Bill: I clicked through knowingly. It's fine!

Christian: I'm going to cash some checks and sleep on it and get back to you because you're right, that's exactly what I want. I have a left zip, too, but I couldn't have told you that if I hadn't just looked.

Sierra Trading Post has last year's Mountain Hardwear 45 at $173 after current 30% promo. The T-limit on it is 32 while this year's model is at 41 or something. I might go with that as the price can't be beat!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    Christian: I'm going to cash some checks and sleep on it and get back to you because you're right, that's exactly what I want. I have a left zip, too, but I couldn't have told you that if I hadn't just looked.
    If you have a left-zip now, I would think long and hard about going to a right-zip. It drives me crazy - enough so that I'd spend $100 just to get back to a left-zip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm () close to buying a Mountain Hardware Phantom 32 for some bike packing trips I hope to pull off with my kid. 1.7lbs and stuffs to 6x10" It looks somewhat easy to find it $100 off suggested retail.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    If you have a left-zip now, I would think long and hard about going to a right-zip. It drives me crazy - enough so that I'd spend $100 just to get back to a left-zip.
    I agree... I have a right zip bag that I got a super deal on and it bugs the crap out of me. For the few times I actually use it sober, it's not enough to warrant the cost of replacement - yet. If I used it a lot though, I would need a replacement immediately. Make sure you get the zip that you want.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last time I used a bag that wasn't mine I don't even remember the zip orientation. I don't think it bothers me that much. Maybe I'll spend some time in my bag tonight (reading vsalon, obviously) and see.

Oh there's also this: Main site - cumulus.pl

Polish brand. Some message board threads I've read indicate that the quality is good and it is super cheap compared to everything else.

What's the best deal you've found on the Phantom 32, Jonathan?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just found this, but I really wonder if its a women's bag. Usually I've seen them around $300'when on sale.

Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 Sleeping Bag: 32F / 0C Degree Down | RacingThePlanet, The Outdoor Store - RacingThePlanet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Mountain Hardware that I love. Light and packs down small oh an warm too. I've used it into the 30's but think it's a 40 something rated bag. I'll check the model tonight and let you know.

For me zip side doesn't matter. I've had both and never noticed, both my hand work.

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    Thanks for the sites dudes. Bill: I clicked through knowingly. It's fine!

Sierra Trading Post has last year's Mountain Hardwear 45 at $173 after current 30% promo. The T-limit on it is 32 while this year's model is at 41 or something. I might go with that as the price can't be beat!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

before biking, before water sports, before grand kids, heck, before a lot of things backpacking is what i did. First thing you really should consider--you probably have just didn't spell it out, is what you're going to do with it: back pack, carry it around or just pull it out of the trunk when needed. And what about getting wet?
    If you're not packing it, and you can keep it dry relatively easy, go big, go cheap. The bag i like now (all camping from a vehicle) is 90 x 39, tons of room, warm...and cheap, but a touch heavy. I sleep great.
    If want something more technical, Feathered Friends used to be awful good. My wife has one of theirs from well over 20 yrs ago that's still an incredible bag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have tested LOTS of bags and have several of my own, my favorite being a Marmot Helium. Western Mountaineering is the logical choice of any self-respecting Salonista. If you can afford one they really are that good. Best loft and snag-proof zipper of any bag I've been in.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never used a cumulus bag, but I have a winter bag from Roberts.pl. It is a great bag. Recommended.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Mtn Hardwear Phantom 32 that I'm not crazy about. Sure it's light and it packs down small but if you're a stomach sleeper or sleep hot (and need to spread your legs out a bit) it's pretty snug in the lower half. The half zipper makes spreading your legs apart that much more difficult. If either of you guys are into buying a lightly used bag, PM me. I actually have a much older Mtn. Hardware 20* bag with "crazy legs" that I find much more tolerable even in warmer weather because I can ventilate better.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HIGHLY suggest Big Agnes Bags with the pad sleeve. Never roll off your pad again. I' have a 40* bad, and have used it in a hammock as well, added some reflectix for warmth. Simply LOVE it.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah this bag is basically for bike touring in warm weather and whenever else I can get away with a low insulation bag. If I need something for cold weather I'll add another bag to the, ahem, quiver. Weight is a priority but I'm not going to count every gram. If it saves me a pound over my current bag I'll be quite happy. I do tend to sleep on my stomach or side and really hate wind/chills on my neck or head so even though something without a hood might make sense I do make it work.

Randy, I actually have a Big Agnes mummy pad so one of their bags might make sense for me. But I haven't seen much written about Big Agnes bags, and the only time I had trouble with moving off the pad was camping in a lemon grove on a cliff in Italy. It was a bit disconcerting but I managed not to fall down to the next terrace.

General question: do bags usually have less insulation on the bottom or is this how some companies cheat to make a bag lighter (and so don't really spell it out). Curious if the Mountain Hardwear ones are uniform top and bottom or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TNF cats meow is even, I can't speak for any others. With the big Agnes the insulation is all on top and the insulated air pad goes into the calculation.

Can always go to REI or EMS and lay in some...
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I was actually just feeling some. I didn't actually notice any that had different levels top and bottom but I know the BA ones do since they expect you to use the pad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast