User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Router Question - Can the airways be too crowded?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wireless Router Question - Can the airways be too crowded?

So I moved into my current apartment in February. I mostly get good internet reception in the back half of the apartment where my router is located in one of the bedrooms, but as I move to the front of the apartment the signal diminishes significantly, affecting my internet speed and reliability. It's not a long distance and the router doesn't transmit through any difficult walls. They're just regular walls like a house would have.

My nephew is kind of techie and has an app on his phone that measures signal strength and sure enough, it is like 70% diminished by the time it gets to my living room.

There are at least two dozen wireless routers in the immediate vicinity and quite a few from the same provider I use.

At my mother's place it's the same story. I just bought her a new phone and we're using it mostly on WiFi and the signal is often weak, even in the same room as the router. Like at my apartment, her condo has all kinds of wireless router signals that show up.

This leads me to my question. Can these devices interfere with each other? If so, what can be done to isolate my signal from the others? Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

Thanks for any tips.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wireless Router Question - Can the airways be too crowded?

yes, they do interact. You can set the router to a channel that has the least competition. I use Xirrus Wi-Fi inspector to identify the channels that all the other routers are using, then select the quietest channel area. At my house, the strongest competitors are using channel 11, so I use 6.
    My name is David Moeny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What router is it ?

A good router should automatically select the right channel and also dynamically switch channels. The right router also supports not only the 2.4Ghz band but also the 5Ghz band that has more channels and is less crowded and less susceptible to non Wi-Fi interference like bluetooth, etc....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CenturyLink ActionTec C1000A is the brand and model.

I was hoping you'd pipe in as I believe you work in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    What router is it ?

A good router should automatically select the right channel and also dynamically switch channels. The right router also supports not only the 2.4Ghz band but also the 5Ghz band that has more channels and is less crowded and less susceptible to non Wi-Fi interference like bluetooth, etc....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^This.

I install/repair internet throughout the chicago area and always scan for the band in least use. Also, if you have a dual band router that broadcasts 2.4 and 5ghz, name one of them something different. For example, if your ssid is "saab2000issuparad" make one of them end in "..._5ghz". I do this for people bc 5ghz travels at a greater frequency and thus a shorter distance and having stronger signal negates it benefits. Some devices also don't play too well on 5ghz (looking at you apple... and i have apple products and like them) and letting them not constantly try and latch onto 5 helps their performance.

I also wish people would change their broadcasting power to 70% or whatever is sufficient so that interference issues would go down, but such is life. Tired of people bragging that they can get their wifi on ground level when they live on a third floor. Just creating issues for other people.

edited bc apparently "t-r-u-m-p-s" get auto corrected to agent orange
    Cottage cheese for dinner, Greek yogurt for dessert, eat that everyday an' it will make your butt hurt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    CenturyLink ActionTec C1000A is the brand and model.

I was hoping you'd pipe in as I believe you work in this area.
    Yeah...

I had a quick look at this thing, it looks to use a basic wi-fi chip that only supports the 2.4Ghz band. You coud get a better one that supports dual band and more antennas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought this was going to be about woodworking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Because I am useless with tech stuff, can this just be purchased and plugged in? Will it come with instructions I can use to get a secure password and it should connect with my provider, CenturyLink?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I thought this was going to be about woodworking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My AirPort has been a great upgrade over the standard ISP router. Does a great job of changing channels and providing good wifi coverage over the whole house.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just replace my current one? Will it be self explanatory? I'm really, really not up to speed on tech stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All this knowledge and still cannot find a creak on his bike :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Just replace my current one? Will it be self explanatory? I'm really, really not up to speed on tech stuff.
    You would have to turn off the Wi-Fi on your current one and hook this one up to an ethernet port of you existing one (I assume your existing one provides the broadband connection).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What he said. There will be instructions and a "wizard" setup utility to step you thru it.

Easy peezey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pre-ordered the Eero and have been using it for months. I'm really happy with it. I got the 3 pack and it was really easy to setup and I get great coverage from the basement to attic of my 3 flat. Setup is all done with a phone app. You would probably just need the single for an apartment. Yikes! I didn't realize how expensive it is.

Amazon.com: eero Home WiFi System (Individual) - Blanket Your Home in WiFi with Complete Wireless Router & Range Extender Replacement System, Gigabit Speed, WPA2 Encryption: Computers & Accessories

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I got this one, which is still faster than my internet connection: Amazon.com: ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3. Cable Modem

BUT... That is just the modem. It does not include wi-fi! You need (at least) one of these wi-fi routers: Amazon.com: TP-LINK Archer C7 AC175 Dual Band Wireless AC Gigabit Router

To extend my wi-fi from the 3rd floor (where my modem and wi-fi router are located) I use this powerline Ethernet adapter: Amazon.com: TP-LINK AV5 Wi-Fi Range Extender, Powerline Edition Starter Kit w/ 2 LAN Ports, Up to 3Mbps Wireless Plug one end into your router, and connect it to a power outlet. Take the 'extender' to the other end of your house and plug it in there. Voila! Wi-fi!

cable modem <- CAT5 cable -> wi-fi router <- CAT5 cable -> powerline Ethernet adapter <- wall plug -> extender
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in the middle of a batch of projects, so this is on the back burner for me. We have problems with connectivity to the second floor of our house. My plan is to put Ubiquity wifi system in the house and get rid of all the consumer grade routers. Probably set up a cheap linux box as a router. And the switch I have down there is dying, so buying a POE switch is no big deal. I currently have two routers daisy chained, one in the basement and one on the first floor. I figure if I go with ubiquiti, I could turn down the power and not broadcast throughout the neighborhood like so many people are doing.
    Amazon.com: Ubiquiti UniFi Enterprise WiFi System AP-Pro (UAP-PRO): Computers & Accessories

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am really happy with the apple gear. I have my whole house set up with an Airport and Airport expresses give you the bonus of playing music around the house. For $99 you can get just the express, run it in "bridge" mode and plug it in to your current cable modem.

-Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast