Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Really Great Honey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Really Great Honey

Earlier this week some folks from Champlain Valley Apiaries in Vermont had driven down to NYC and were passing out free samples of their crystalized honey. The honey is amazing, and I just ordered some. If you are into really good raw honey, you should check them out. They had a brochure that explained some of their practices to help strengthen their bee population, etc., but for some reason that information isn't on their website (and I recycled the brochure before realizing that that was the case).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Really Great Honey

Good stuff, and the lid from a 28oz jar of Skippy is a perfect replacement on their 1# jar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of good apiaries up here...we are blessed, really, with awesome seasonal foods and stuff like this. My sister in law went to school with Mraz the Younger.

Honey is a help for seasonal allergy sufferers, in my experience. Gotta be raw honey though...
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the link- I took a chance and ordered a 2 pack of crystal and liquid. Every time we go to France we come back with that combo- wife likes the yellow crystal stuff while I like the darker syrup.

I think for allergy sufferers the key is to eat local honey because it exposes you to the same types of pollen that bother your system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post

I think for allergy sufferers the key is to eat local honey because it exposes you to the same types of pollen that bother your system.
    Yes, that's correct. Like an immunization, it helps you build up immunity/tolerance.

My grandfather was one of MN's first commercial beekeepers (circa 1940-1987) and my dad still keeps a few hives. I grew up in a beeyard. All raw honey all the time around here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Yes, that's correct. Like an immunization, it helps you build up immunity/tolerance.

My grandfather was one of MN's first commercial beekeepers (circa 1940-1987) and my dad still keeps a few hives. I grew up in a beeyard. All raw honey all the time around here.
    in case you don't know, crystallization is a natural event - unheated honey will crystallize. you can get it back to liquid by putting it into a warm-water bath.

Some beekeepers (like my old man) also harvest the seal wax of the honeycomb (called propolis) for its antiseptic properties, and the pollen itself to help people homeopathically treat allergies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    <snip>

Some beekeepers (like my old man) also harvest the seal wax of the honeycomb (called propolis) for its antiseptic properties, and the pollen itself to help people homeopathically treat allergies.
    My wife is a fan of raw honey from a company called Wee Bee that contains pollen, propolis and honeycomb. I kid her that it's like something out of Winnie the Pooh. She used to suffer from seasonal allergies, but with a number of dietary changes (including local raw honey), she was pretty much allergy-free this year.