User Tag List

Thread: Sodastream CO2 refill shortage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sodastream CO2 refill shortage

My local Target has been sold out of refill canisters for months and you can't buy the refills directly from Sodastream, as they are out too. Does anybody have a resource? If not, it's back to buying cases of San Pellegrino from Amazon.

US CO2 Shortage: Talks of a tight supply continue | News | gasworld
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Sodastream CO2 refill shortage

Ironic that the country with the world's second largest CO2 emissions is running out. Reinforces the point that it's not how much you've got of something that matters so much as how it is distributed.

BTW if you visit your local home brewing shop, they should have a device that allows you to refill Sodastream cylinders from the CO2 cylinders used for kegs.

sodastream-adapter-deluxe.jpg

The one shown is the Australian model, US CO2 cylinders use a CGA320 connection which is different.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    My local Target has been sold out of refill canisters for months and you can't buy the refills directly from Sodastream, as they are out too. Does anybody have a resource? If not, it's back to buying cases of San Pellegrino from Amazon.

US CO2 Shortage: Talks of a tight supply continue | News | gasworld
    Get an adapter and a refill hose or convert everything over to a larger refillable tank. It doesn't find you CO2 but when you do find it, you'll be able to tank more of it home for less. Our friends in the Catskills have one that uses a 5lbs tank and an adapter to connect directly to their Sodastream, some of which they got on Amazon. It is a little weird looking as a counter top appliance, but you could probably rig the hose so the tank hides somewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=soda+mod&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YouTube is great. This is what they did. Even looks a bit like the same tank.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can always count on Jorn and the collective crew...calling a gas distributor tomorrow.
    Last edited by rwsaunders; 07-06-2020 at 07:39 PM.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am told you should ask for a food quality tank.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The homebrew beer world will have everything you need and food grade. Not only to help with the video Jorn posted but also converter tops for 2 liter bottles and other interesting attachments. The target market is carbonating beer but its a similar effort. If you want to go wild, there are beer taps, lines, 5 gal corny kegs, etc etc. There is a lot to explore there.

Something else to consider about the homebrew world ... specialty grains. In another thread, you posted some nice looking bread. Brewers use 2-row, 6-row, differing levels of toasting and caramelization ... all kinds of grains to make Octoberfest, Porter, Pilsner, etc etc.

A story from 20 years ago: a bread baker joins me and a homebrewing buddy for an afternoon. the first stop was buying grain and milling it for homebrew. the bread baker went crazy touching, smelling, and tasting grains. he bought many varieties and mixed up a multi-grain blend. While we brewed he made dough and baked. What he made was delicious and that variety of grains is not available at a grocery store. i think we changed that bread baker for life.

Grain by the lb. I don't know this site but its a good visualization of all the grain available to you ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to wander but there is a flour grinder in Brooklyn making flour for bread from spent grain leftover from beer making. There is evidently a lot of leftover spent grain from brewing.

From Brewery to Bakery: A Flour That Fights Waste - The New York Times

Anywho.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the perfect reply and then I read the rest of them. haha

I have a small connector that fits on the bike Co2 threads and I can get one shot for vodka sodas and drinks like that. I'll get a photo when I get back home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Not to wander but there is a flour grinder in Brooklyn making flour for bread from spent grain leftover from beer making. There is evidently a lot of leftover spent grain from brewing.

From Brewery to Bakery: A Flour That Fights Waste - The New York Times

Anywho.
    Will be awful unless he only uses wheat malt: barley, the majority grain in brewing, isn't de husked before malting. Husks don't grind down to flour, they become finely divided straw.

FWIW I did an environmental audit / analysis for a larger craft brewery being built in Healesville about 15 years ago. This was one of the ideas we looked at and rejected because the material reduced the palatability of anything into which it was mixed.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm waiting for a discussion on the tasting notes provided by different suppliers of CO2....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big breweries recycle C02 from fermentation, via scrubbers, to use in bright beer. It does indeed get tasted, every day. Volatiles carryover is a serious problem.

We used to sit down at 0900 and taste through every beer at every process stage and every ingredient that would be used in the next day. 30 odd warm beers before morning tea.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    Will be awful unless he only uses wheat malt: barley, the majority grain in brewing, isn't de husked before malting. Husks don't grind down to flour, they become finely divided straw.

FWIW I did an environmental audit / analysis for a larger craft brewery being built in Healesville about 15 years ago. This was one of the ideas we looked at and rejected because the material reduced the palatability of anything into which it was mixed.
    Read the article. It’s a she and they are using barley. Main problem is expense. Too small a production and too high a per pound price. Our friend who works for an organization feeding people experiencing food insecurity would use it because it is high protein low sugar says it is just too expensive.
    Last edited by j44ke; 07-08-2020 at 12:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COVRTDESIGN View Post
    I had the perfect reply and then I read the rest of them. haha

I have a small connector that fits on the bike Co2 threads and I can get one shot for vodka sodas and drinks like that. I'll get a photo when I get back home.
    Eureka! I’ll strap those CO2 bottles that have been sitting in my parts bin for years, to the back of the Sodastream. Maybe Silca will make another saddle bag for this purpose too...
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't know it was a notion wide shortage. Not sure I want to go with the big bottle hack but I'm getting tired of buying cans of fizzy water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been spoiled by the quality of swiss water. Part of me would like to go back to a co2 refill solution but the water at the tap, although deemed safe by the authorities, has such a funky taste.
    --
    T h o m a s