Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dual (Bifocal) Sunglasses

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dual (Bifocal) Sunglasses

Anyone tried these? There are no retail locations in W. Washington.

I need a bifocal correction and while many say they would never use them cycling, I do. But the OT seems like a good place for it since it has many other lifestyle applications.

Started using stick on corrections (Optx 20/20) in sunglasses and graduated up to Action Optics (Smith) bifocals for flyfishing, which recently broke beyond repair. The stick ons just get to dirty on/around the lenses. I have used them with poalrized lenses as well. Some cyclist claim that polarized lenses also distort vision but I do not "see" the danger. Need it for reading cyclometer/cell phone, etc.

I found these Dual sunglasses advertised and they look like a good price/functionality compromise for using both on/off cycling. They are not polarized. Anyone?

Welcome to Dual Eyewear.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dual (Bifocal) Sunglasses

Ditto the distortion from polarized lenses - I only tried one pair (Smith) for cycling but that was more than enough.

I carry readers in my jersey pocket. What a PIA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm presuming you're talking about a bifocal sunglass where the main/upper lens is not a prescription, correct?
    If so, I bought my wife several pairs of Sperian A900 Series Reading Magnifier #A961 (+2.0 Diopter, Black Frame, TSR Gray Lens, Anti-scratch Coating) that she loves for cycling. Allows her to read cue sheets, her cyclometer, menus at post-ride burger joints, etc.

The cool thing is that they can be found for stupid cheap. Search for them on industrial cleaning supply e-commerce sites; I dunno, apparently the janitor at the local high school likes to wear sport glasses? I've never spent more than $20 for them, and have bought them for as little as $7 each!

Contrast that with my unfortunate condition, where I do need a precription main/upper lens (nearsighted + astigmatism) in a ddition to a reading bifocal. I spent 100 times what I paid for her glasses for mine!
    Last edited by Bob Ross; 11-09-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    I'm presuming you're talking about a bifocal sunglass where the main/upper lens is not a prescription, correct?
    If so, I bought my wife several pairs of Sperian A900 Series Reading Magnifier #A961 (+2.0 Diopter, Black Frame, TSR Gray Lens, Anti-scratch Coating) that she loves for cycling....
    Nice find! At these prices, I could try out two different corrections. Hope there is enough shading in those grey lenses, but who cares, these are disposable prices. Thanks, again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Received the Sperian's (1 clear/1 gray) on Saturday and test rode them in some driving rain. They are better than I hoped for. Lenses are clear and free of distortion the correction is fused to the lower inside of each lense and out of your peripheral vision, so no hinderance with standard vision until you choose to look down through lense! They have the finish quality you would expect in a sub-$100 pair of riding glasses and include nice non slip nose piece and temple rubber (grillamid?) cushions. Wide front protection but follow the contour of you face with enough side clearance to allow air flow. I only had a slight haze buildup at a streetlight that disappeared immediately after restarting. Slight arcing in temples clear helmet straps with no excessive pressure, and no slip.

Prices were all over the map, one lab/safety store had them for $150, others down to $6 with some steep shipping/handling prices. I ended up buying the pair at Amazon for just shy of $20, including shipping. What a score, and thank you for the great find. http://www.amazon.com/SEPTLS812A960-.../dp/B002A5L19M

Hey, they are not fancy but they're not dorky either, just right and completely disposable at this price. Thanks, again!
    Last edited by Gradient; 11-21-2011 at 07:01 PM.