Likes Likes:  0

Thread: An Afternoon In Boston?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default An Afternoon In Boston?

I will be in Boston from Saturday morning til Sunday morning this weekend to do a house concert.

Basically I have nothing to do from 11am until 6 or 7 pm Saturday. Will be using public transportation.

Thoughts of cool stuff to do to kill some hours?

Here are some options so far:

Exhibit at BCA
    Fenway Tour
    Walk around Cambridge/Harvard and check out book stores, record stores and coffee shops
    Science Museum

Looks to be chance of rain with a high of 43.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: An Afternoon In Boston?

A great spot for lunch for people looking to sample lots of local tastes is Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market. Its just off of either the Government Center or Haymarket subway stops (depending which color line you're on). Its a pretty touristy place, but you can really get some awesome food in there. If you're in Harvard Square for lunch I'd highly recommend Bartley's Burgers.
    Last edited by anthonymaietta; 03-16-2011 at 08:10 AM.
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

check out the ICA then go to the No Name restaurant. that end of town has had a lot of new development, but has retained some of its docks feel. harvard square just aint harvard square no more. but anthony is right about bartley's, cool spot. i'd also recommend Tavern on the Water in charlestown, not for the food which is average, but for the really cool perspective of boston harbor and the city.
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coffee shop list
    Boston: Thinking cup, pavement coffeehouse, Espresso Royal, South End Buttery (a block from the BCA)
    Cambridge: Voltage, Hi-Rise Bakery, Simon's, 1369
    I write for daily serving

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boundgear View Post
    Coffee shop list
    Boston: Thinking cup, pavement coffeehouse, Espresso Royal, South End Buttery (a block from the BCA)
    Cambridge: Voltage, Hi-Rise Bakery, Simon's, 1369
    What, do y'all not have Starbucks up there yet? <ducking>

I'm an infrequent visitor, but readily admit the superiority of the seafood in that part of the world (so long as we leave shrimp and crawfish out of the equation...we've still got ya there...). It may be too early, but if clams are in season up there find a good place to get yourself some steamers. I will defer to the locals for choice of venue, but they're just awesomely delicious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The No Name is an institution; surly waiters, deep fried fried, etc. It's a great experience, and it is very "old boston" but if you're looking for GREAT seafood it probably isn't what you're looking for. Pains me to say it, but in the city, Legal Seafoods is probably your best bet.

Other options:
    - Parish Cafe on Boylston Street; upscale sandwich shop/bar; great people watching and easy from Back Bay
    - Walk Newbury Street; Boston's closest equivalent to Madison Avenue
    - Deluxe Cafe on Clarendon is my perennial favorite bar in that neck of the woods
    - The Museum of Fine Arts is an easy T-ride from downtown and has a new addition that's apparently amazing; I haven't been down to it yet
    - Fenway Tour actually sounds pretty fun if the weather's nice. Eastern Standard in Kenmore Square has decent food and good drinks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
    The No Name is an institution; surly waiters, deep fried fried, etc. It's a great experience, and it is very "old boston" but if you're looking for GREAT seafood it probably isn't what you're looking for. Pains me to say it, but in the city, Legal Seafoods is probably your best bet.

Other options:
    - Parish Cafe on Boylston Street; upscale sandwich shop/bar; great people watching and easy from Back Bay
    - Walk Newbury Street; Boston's closest equivalent to Madison Avenue
    - Deluxe Cafe on Clarendon is my perennial favorite bar in that neck of the woods
    - The Museum of Fine Arts is an easy T-ride from downtown and has a new addition that's apparently amazing; I haven't been down to it yet
    - Fenway Tour actually sounds pretty fun if the weather's nice. Eastern Standard in Kenmore Square has decent food and good drinks
    oh yeah! my former 2nd home!!!
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you could take the orange line to the sam adams brewery for a mid day tour as well. that's my neck of the woods and it's a fun, and inexpensive way to spend 2 hours.

if weather is nice, boston common and/or the esplanade are good places for people watching and easy to walk around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have done the fenway tour. At least most of it. The day we went there were thunderstorms, so the did not take us on the monstah. It is fun if you are a baseball fan or have a Red Sox problem. If you are in Southie and in the area of No Name, the Legal Sea Foods test kitchen restaurant is over there and was really good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
    The No Name is an institution; surly waiters, deep fried fried, etc. It's a great experience, and it is very "old boston" but if you're looking for GREAT seafood it probably isn't what you're looking for.
    They ARE well known for their fried foods, but what they are not well known for is their broiled fish as well. Unless you're physically eating it on the boat is was caught on you can't get fresher fish than what they serve down there.
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of great ideas here. The only one I'll disagree with is Faneuil Hall - It's the most touristy, inauthentic part of Boston. Unless you argue that tourism is an authentic part of this city, that is... Stay away.

You could do worse than wandering through the North End. It features the only Pizzeria Regina worth dining in, and several fantastic Italian pastry shops on Hanover Street. Mike's and Modern are the two best atmo.

An afternoon on the Fenway/Kenmore Sq/Back Bay/Common axis would be very nice. Harvard Sq. is pretty corporate but still full of character(s), and Bartley's remains my favorite burger place ever. The ICA and No Name are great (and a great contrast), but the 'new' waterfront is still a mixed bag for a fun afternoon.

Or you could join me for a bike ride from Dorchester south, and then help my daughter do two weeks' laundry?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Paramount on Charles St. is a good bistro