Thread: Eddy Merckx doppelganger coaching client

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Eddy Merckx doppelganger coaching client

biography.jpg

This morning I'm still processing what just happened. I know there are folks who can appreciate this so just listen.
    Recently I was contacted by a possible new coaching client. He is local to me and brief history is as follows: no prior sports in school or in adult life, recently lost 150 lbs, has a personal trainer three days per week, likes bicycle riding. He mentioned that his road bike was recently wrecked.

Before we sealed the deal I wanted to go for an hr. ride with him. We meet and out of his car comes an approximately 1960's home-built steel loaner bike from Jill Dimauro (Proteus Bicycle Shop owner) fit with 1970'ish N.Record, 6 spd. regina cogs, toe clips the whole bit. Since the bike was on loan from Jill I new it would be in perfect order so no need to check it out too heavily.

My guy takes it all in stride, he's no bike snob praise the lord. We get out on the road and he looks like Eddie Effin Merckx. I'm telling you he could be his brother. Looks real good on the bike, too good.

Sometimes life takes you by surprise.

PS - his new replacement bike will be in the shop soon. This will be a fun client to coach.
    PPS - Dewd if you are lurking here don't be shy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Eddy Merckx doppelganger coaching client

Does he sound like him, minus the accent? I've met/seen so many people that resemble others, only to find out their voices sound alike, too. My wife used to think I was insane, but I've pointed out enough examples that she now sorta believes me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did he stop several times on the ride to adjust his seat ht/angle/fore and aft?

Cool story

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bellman View Post
    Did he stop several times on the ride to adjust his seat ht/angle/fore and aft?

Cool story
    HA! No, the bike was perfect down to the 50 yrs. old horse saddle.
    BTW he went like stink I had to ask him to relax a little so we could talk.

Thanks for your patience, I needed to relate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the Jacky Durand doppelgangers you've got to be leery of...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shoney View Post
    Does he sound like him, minus the accent? I've met/seen so many people that resemble others, only to find out their voices sound alike, too. My wife used to think I was insane, but I've pointed out enough examples that she now sorta believes me.
    I've observed this, too... i.e. guys that look like John Kerry, sound like John Kerry. Like guitar bodies or brass instruments, different shapes make different sounds. People don't get their voice much from their throat, but mostly from the nasal/sinus shape. When an impersonator does their rendition of Gilbert Godfrey or James Stuart, they distort their face to look like their subject to mimic the acoustics.

TT, I'm assuming he didn't let you take the city limit sprint? NO MERCKXY™

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nierman View Post
    I've observed this, too... i.e. guys that look like John Kerry, sound like John Kerry. Like guitar bodies or brass instruments, different shapes make different sounds. People don't get their voice much from their throat, but mostly from the nasal/sinus shape. When an impersonator does their rendition of Gilbert Godfrey or James Stuart, they distort their face to look like their subject to mimic the acoustics.

TT, I'm assuming he didn't let you take the city limit sprint? NO MERCKXY™
    "You are going toooo soooon" running thru my head as he is crushing the pedals.
    True wrt sound alike people. It is unnerving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bro he does look like eddy
    cheers
    I love bike racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    biography.jpg

T no prior sports in school or in adult life, recently lost 150 lbs, has a personal trainer three days per week,

Looks real good on the bike, too good.

Sometimes life takes you by surprise.

And sometimes maybe it shouldn't? What do you know about the PT and his/her "approach"? Are there dots to connect? As a coach, which I'm certainly not, I'd maybe ask a few innocuous questions about diet and supplements...
    I'm prolly just jealous and feeling the downside of the curve to has-been when I never was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenNMotion View Post
    And sometimes maybe it shouldn't? What do you know about the PT and his/her "approach"? Are there dots to connect? As a coach, which I'm certainly not, I'd maybe ask a few innocuous questions about diet and supplements...
    I'm prolly just jealous and feeling the downside of the curve to has-been when I never was.
    On second thought this comment was out of line and serves no useful purpose coming from the cheap seats, and certainly not Zen-like. I wish you both success in the continuing transformation. I apologize. Please delete my posts in this thread if you wish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey TT, this is a great story! Sounds like he has Merckx's attitude too - go like stink, take no prisoners :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenNMotion View Post
    On second thought this comment was out of line and serves no useful purpose coming from the cheap seats, and certainly not Zen-like. I wish you both success in the continuing transformation. I apologize. Please delete my posts in this thread if you wish.
    Dewd, no offense taken valid question. Infact I have "the talk" with almost all new clients esp. if they seem to fall into a vulnerable category. When I told him I don't believe in diets as a lead into discussion about other things.
    I hear you and I've got less than zero tolerance for "that". No worries.